main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Ubiquitous Kybers

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by sheri1967, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Sorry, I don't buy that. Admittedly there is a lesser known film about an A.I. residing within a crystal called the Tabernacle (Zardoz), but Sean Connery made a correct observation which is probably more in sync to the interpretation provided by Alexrd:

"A receiver must be like a transmitter"

Sarge likes this.
  2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Most of what the newcanon tells us about kybers, comes from the Ahsoka novel (tie-in to Rebels), and the Catalyst novel (tie-in to Rogue One).

Jedi Knight Fett and sheri1967 like this.
  3. sheri1967

sheri1967 Jedi Master star 1

Jun 5, 2006
    I agree that these books support that this is the New Cannon. There are other small clues in the Aftermath Books.

I miss many things in legends but like it or not Kyber Crystals are now alive to some degree in Cannon.

Starting with this assumption I would love to hear everyone's theories on where this new Kyber Crystal Cannon is going.

Iron_lord likes this.
  4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    There are no kyber crystals in Legends.

Also, regarding the Harry Potter comparison, it doesn't apply here. The crystal doesn't choose the Jedi (nor vice versa). The Jedi finds his/her respective crystal by being in tune with the Force, as seen in 'The Gathering'.

Lt. Hija likes this.
  5. sheri1967

Jun 5, 2006
    Have you read Yoda's Secret War?

6. sheri1967

Jun 5, 2006

"Kyber crystals were Force-attuned crystals that grew rarely but throughout the galaxy, with some areas having a greater abundance than others. The crystals concentrated energy in a unique manner through the Force, resonating with it.[9] The crystals exhibited a sort of "collective consciousness", veering on the edge of sentience, and could non-verbally communicate with both one another and living beings.[6] Some theorized that the permutations in the kyber lattice were comparable to emotional shifts in a sentient being.[8]"

Iron_lord likes this.
  7. PadawanGussin

PadawanGussin Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 6, 2017
    The new Darth Vader comic series discusses how Kybers are living beings who are forced into submission by the Sith and bleed red due to their suffering.

sheri1967 likes this.
  8. PadawanGussin

Sep 6, 2017
    With the Sith view being based in fear anger and hate, the idea that to complete their skills with the creation of their lightsaber , a Sith would need to dominate a living being to the point of bleeding is a nice touch.

9. sheri1967

Jun 5, 2006
    Just re-reading issue 1. According to Vader, it seems that the Jedi of the prequels were unaware that Kyber's bled. I wonder why it was hidden.

10. PadawanGussin

Sep 6, 2017
    I suspect from Vaders remark to the emperor that the Jedi Teachings were "incomplete" on this subject there were some serious debate within the Jedi over the use of living beings as the core of a lightsaber.

I bet that this was one of those restricted archive topics that was not generally known about.

Nibelung and sheri1967 like this.
  11. Nibelung

Nibelung Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 18, 2017
    Good thought! That wouldn't exactly fit with the received wisdom of the Jedi being all noble and selfless, now would it?

Also, I have to admit the idea of "bleeding Kybers" caused by "Sith domination" still makes me laugh. I'm so mature.

sheri1967 and PadawanGussin like this.
  12. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    So the new EU turned another concept into nonsense...

13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Sure there were. They were just spelled differently ("Kaiburr crystals") or named after the planet they were most commonly found ("Ilum crystals").

TCW got its concept of "going to the ice planet Ilum to get lightsaber crystals" from Legends in the first place.

14. Nibelung

Apr 18, 2017
    Ilum is an ice planet? Kinda like the center of Dante's Hell? Heh.

15. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  16. Nibelung

Apr 18, 2017
    Hey, a Wookiee Jedi! I remember when that was deemed uncanonical. Nice to see them back.

17. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    Giving how LF puts Kyber Crystals, Stars and The Force closer and closer we all can feel they gonna be linked in the future and we all can came to a different but ultimately similar ideas.
    I should say LF finally started to explain the "Magic System" of SW Universe. Every Universe (or Setting) has their own Magic Systems, that allow us to understand how the "Magic" and certain rules work.

Magic Systems has its own basic concepts:
    1)Magic. How the "wonder" called in the setting. In our case its The Force.
    2)Mage. Who uses magic. In our case its Forceuser, Jedi or Sith.
    3)Source of Magic. The phrase is self-explanatory. What it the Source of The Force?
    4)Conductor. How mages get the magic. How they used it. Does they use their body (midi-clorians how are you?) as magic conductor, or some sorts of tool (kyber crystal what about you?).

So, George has already started to explain his Magic System back in OT and PT.
    1)We know that there is The Force, the mysterious power that (its important!) binds all the living(!) things in the universe, harmonize it, moves it forwards.
    2)We know that Forceusers are among those who can feel and use The Force to do wonders.
    3)We DONT know what is the Source of The Force. Think about this. The Force didnt come out of nowhere. Nothing can come out of nowhere. There is got to be something that created The Force, or been the Source of It.
    4)We partly know what is the conductor of the Force. The amount of midi-chlorians is determinative factor, that makes usual creature a Force-sensitive. But the new lore hints on the other one conductor.

So, ill start to speculate and fit an information we got in the last couple years.

1)Ill come back to Kyber Crystals. In the last years LF did a huge work making some not that significant things Jedi and Sith implanted into their lightsabers such a relevant thing. Kyber Crystals already had some new meaning in the last episodes of TCW, but now they got many new traits and functions. They are able to resonate with the Force-sensitive people, they are able to influent them (last DW comic), they are able to be the source of terrible destructive force (like a Jedi or Sith, take a hint *wink*) - Death Star. They were almost (or fully) turned into the living thing, being able to bleed. The most important info is that The Strongest Stars Has The Hearts of Kyber. Why its important? Because here may lie the secret of The Force.
    Kyber Crystals might be The Source of The Force. Or, speaking specifically, the Stars are The Source of The Living Force.

2)Did i get it out of nothing? No. There are many hints, mythological references and in-universe symbols that makes me think that Kyber Crystals might be both The Source of The Force and The Conductor of The Force.
    -The Lightsaber is the main symbol of Jedi and Sith. LIGHT-saber. Colors dont matter. There hides the deep sense and symbol. The Ray of Light pierces the darkness of the space and negativity. That Ray comes from the Lightsaber's hilt, and lightsaber belongs to the guardians of The Force, the Jedi. Sith are just using it in a different manner, and thats why the Kyber Crystals in their Light-sabers are bleed. Light-saber originally is the Weapon of The Force, and its guardians.
    -What is the source of the light? The star. The stars gives the birth to flora and fauna on some planets.
    We can see the similarity between The Force and Sunlight. As i mentioned before, The Force is the power that binds everything everyone and everything, fills with energy and power. As the Light of the Sun (and some stars) does. Sometimes The Force has even an addition "Living". Living Force.
    So, giving that, i can assume that The Stars that have the heart of the Kyber emanate The Force, that, as the light, spreads across the space, giving the life to flora and fauna, binding the living and giving the power to those who were born with hight amount of midi-chlorians.
    -What else can support that theory? For example a small Kyber crystals still able to influence the Force-sensitive creatures. Just like a bigger one can be used as the source of the destructive force for The Death Star (yeah, another hint, Star that has the heart of Kyber, but emanates not the Living Force, but the Ray of Deadly Light that able to destroy the planets).
    Another example are the Jedi and Republic symbols, the White Stars or the Light coming from the star. We had no explanation of their meaning, but if the Stars are the Source of The Light/The Force, then the meaning i pretty obvious.
    The Sith symbols, as we know, the dark stars or dark rays. Do you know what else Sith can do? The able to bleed the Kyber crystals or okay with using them to destroy the planets via Death Star. Sith Symbols fit the theory of Stars as the source of The Force.

3)What about the Conductor? Conductor is the thing that allow to give a pass and form to energy, in our case, the Force. Kyber Crystals in fact is the conductor for the laser blade in the lightsaber. So why can't they be the conductors for the Force? Old Canon gave them that trait - to be attuned to the Force. I won't be surprised if LF gave the pass to that idea, but extended it to the point where Kyber Crystals have much wider range of traits and features.

4)So what is Magic System of The Galaxy Far Far Away?
    The Stars giving the life to the planets that were lucky to get into the living belt.
    The Stars that have the heart of Kyber, emanates not only the Light itself, but also The Force, if its not the same thing, just having some "magical addition" to physics.
    The Force is energy, in a form of Light, that gives the birth to all living things, binds them together in harmony.
    The Force Users are able to feel and use these emanations due to high midi-chlorians count. Jedi use them in a natural way, keeping the harmony and circle of life. Sith use them in unnatural way, that manifests in Kyber crystal's bleeding and other side effects that we can see in Sidious or Vader.
    Kyber Crystals outside the stars are used as the conductors for both Lightsabers and terrible machines of Death Stars. They also able to influence the force-sensitive people and creatures.
    Kyber Crystals are attuned to The Force.

sheri1967 likes this.
  18. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Yes, we do. Life creates the Force. Life forms are the source of the Force.

19. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    "I am a manifestation of the Force, a Force that consists of two parts. Living beings generate the Living Force, which in turn powers the wellspring that is the Cosmic Force."
    - Qui-Gon Jinn , Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Episode 6.11 "Voices"

"All energy from the Living Force, from all things that have ever lived, feeds into the Cosmic Force, binding everything and communicating to us through the midi-chlorians. Because of this, I can speak to you now."
    - Qui-Gon Jinn , Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Episode 6.11 "Voices"

About the Wellspring of Life:​

[​IMG]

"All that surround us is the foundation of life, the birthplace of what your science calls midi-chlorians, the foundation of what connects the Living Force and the Cosmic Force. When a living thing dies, all is removed. Life passes from the Living Force into the Cosmic Force and becomes one with it. One powers the other. One is renewed by the other."
    -Force Priestess Serenity, Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Episode 6.12 "Destiny"

20. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I was actually referring to:

"It's an energy field created by all living things." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

"Life creates it. Makes it grow." - Yoda

Lt. Hija likes this.
  21. Nibelung

Apr 18, 2017
    Interesting that Qui-Gon's explanation echoes the idea of ancestral memory from Dune. Well, why not? That seems to be the most common metaphor for the phenomenon.

22. sheri1967

Jun 5, 2006
    The "Dark" side of the Force CANON

Does one need to be near a locus to sustain one's hatred and anger?

The night Anakin turned-

Papatine's office in the senate had a plethora of Sith relics - Mace is murdered

Jedi temple is built on top of a Sith shrine - Jedi slaughter

Brief stop to Padme-

Mustafar -more mass murder. Mustafar is -A Unique Strong "Dark" side locus (unlike other planets according to Palpatine) -Vader Comics Issue 5

Rescued by Sidious and is told of wife's death and to use his pain.

Sent immediately to go find a Jedi's light saber and bleed it.

The very day he kills a Jedi, Sidious sends him back to Mustafar to bleed the acquired light saber

Ok,

I know there is the Disney theme now about the Actions and Choices we make but

Would things have been different if you remove "dark" side places and relics?
    What if Anakin stayed with Padme longer?
    Did he need the bled crystal to keep the hate flowing?

I think Mustafar was crucial. He needed to bleed it there in order to not accept the vision the crystal first gave him. Later he builds his castle there.

Would love to hear your theories

-

23. PadawanGussin

Sep 6, 2017
    There is also a theory that has been floated that Vader had a Kyber under his glove to help augment his Force abilities.

I wonder if the Kyber might have helped him deflect Hans blaster fire in ESB.

24. Nibelung

Apr 18, 2017
    So you're saying The Glove of Darth Vader is important because it's got such a Kyber in it?

25. sheri1967

Jun 5, 2006
    This is very insightful. It would make for a nice scientific explanation for the Force.

People began worshiping them-The Temple of the Kyber mentioned in Rogue One. Is this what you think Luke discovers in the old Jedi texts? The Force is not this mystical power. What do you think a black kyber crystal is?