main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

UGC, Odeon, Showcase or UCI - Best Venue for ROTS Prem?

Discussion in 'Archive: Scotland' started by Lizardmonkey, Feb 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lizardmonkey

Lizardmonkey Jedi Master star 2

May 21, 2002
    Seeing as I doubt an eccentric millionaire will fund my expedition to Mann's Chinese Theatre for the last Star Wars film, I'm thinking UGC in Glasgow will do. It does have the Pearl and Dean "pah-pah pah-pah pah-pah pah-pah, pah-pah-pah (etc)" and you will feel like you're in a giant Palitoy Death Star playset as you go up the escalators to your doom.
    Is there an official piss-up-followed-by-film happening? I for one can't wait to get out there in my two-sizes-too-small Vader-voice-changer helmet and kilt. The kilt, by the way, fits fine . . . very fine. Sorry.

2. MrDankDonk

MrDankDonk Jedi Master star 4

Mar 28, 2001
    aye, now, its just as well we start talking about this...... for this is the last best excuse for a Scottish board bender.

for AOTC, a bunch of us got first night midnight tickets for the big Odeon in Renfield St. This allowed us a gentle 9pm meet-up in sauchiehall street: - thereafter drink, walk, smoke, drink, walk, smoke, drink, walk, smoke, urinate till yir eyes crossed then take yir seats for the movie.

I imagine that would be the way to do things this time too.

the Odeon ? as opposed to that UGC hellhole ? is the proper place to see a Star Wars film....... for AOTC they'd made an effort and had usherettes looking mortified in Leia costumes etc etc

Though, I suppose we'd better wait and see which cinemas actually put on midnight shows on opening night...

3. Obi_one_and_only

Obi_one_and_only Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 18, 2001
    ...they'd made an effort and had usherettes looking mortified in Leia costumes etc etc

[face_laugh]

I find the UGC sound better than Odeon Renfield st (AOTC-wise). But, whatever you decide.

4. MrDankDonk

Mar 28, 2001
    well, Obi-one has a point - the old Odeon, historic, atmospheric and reeking of decades of audiences as it is, has been allowed to go to seed somewhat, seeing as it has no future apart from conversion into flats or whatever....

the UGC, by contrast, is brand spanking new, and all its bits work well.

I'll make some enquiries to see which cinemas are likely to run midnight opening night shows.... that might help us decide.

5. Callie_Skye

Callie_Skye Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 13, 2004
    Oh coolness, someone doing research. That would be great.

The oden always seems dirtier than the UGC which is lovely and massive with a lovely little bar.

I saw episode one at Downtown Disney while I was still stateside. It was great and everyone was dressed up. The local scifi store sent employees over completely decked out in stormtrooper regalia, also a Vader and Leia as well as some random people dressed as Jedi. It was excellent!!

6. MrDankDonk

Mar 28, 2001
    there have usually been a few dressed-up characters at the Gasgow opening nights...... in particular, there is a wee gang of childcare workers whoturn up in jedi robes....

however, while I am by no means averse to a spot of dressing-up now and then (the Nice and Sleazy May the 4th Be With You parties in particular) I'm fudged if I'm sitting in the cinema trying to watch Ep3 with my Vader helmet on...

I mean, what about the poor people behind me...

[face_laugh]

hullo Callie. Welcome to the scottish board :D

keep in touch if you want to accompany a big troupe of bawbags to opening night.....

7. Callie_Skye

Oct 13, 2004
    I put my hair in pigtails and then tied them in knots and wore a star wars t-shirt. =) That was the extent of my costuming. But I've got a wonderful picture of me and a stormtrooper it's fabulous!!

My biggest complaint about the UGC is that they've stopped selling the candy necklaces in the snackbar! *miffed* it was my favorite part of the whole movie going experience.

Heh, plus can't go to the oden cause the cheese on their nachos is yucky and my hunny is a nacho man. (oi... now there's a song playing in my head.. nacho nacho man... i want to be a nacho man! ---- *sigh* well that's gonna be stuck in my head for the next hour or so!!!)

8. arabiansanchez

arabiansanchez Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2001
    I can't seee the Odeon doing a midnight show as noone goes there any more. UGC certainly will. I wanna come! :D

SO who's on organisational duties for our little geek-out?

9. MrDankDonk

Mar 28, 2001
    we are organising it here and now !

I'll e-mail the cinemas closer to the time to see who is doing a midnight show....

and I work right next to the UGC, so it'll be no bother to be first in line for tickes when they go on sale.

10. arabiansanchez

Nov 17, 2001
    Excellent.

I shall be there. I've yet to have an ultra geekout at midnight.

11. anakin_skywalker_sct

anakin_skywalker_sct Jedi Master star 5

Apr 18, 2001
    I'm aboard if you'll have me. UGC's best for me, next to the bus station. Though buses are not likely to be much use at 3 in the morning...

12. AngelaJade

AngelaJade Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2003
    I'm probably gonna be at Aberdeen's UGC again. Where the atmosphere is not so much electric as birthday-candle powered.

*sigh*

13. MrDankDonk

Mar 28, 2001
    due to the unavoidable effects of event gravity, I've got a gig to play in London on Thursday 19th ...... doesn't stop me going to a midnight screening at the end of Wednesday 18th, of course, but might stop me from smuggling a half bottle of Buckie into the cinema....... driving the next day and all that......

14. clone-warrior

clone-warrior Jedi Youngling

Dec 12, 2000
    Wherever you decide to go, I'm in!!

15. arabiansanchez

Nov 17, 2001
    So just checking how this'll play out. Is MrDankDonk going to be buying tickets for the whole group of us when they become available or are we taking care of our own and just annoying each other preceeding and proceeding this cinematic masterpiece??

16. MrDankDonk

Mar 28, 2001
    I'll certainly buy a batch when they become available, but that will be mainly for the people that i know well enough to be able to hunt down and torture them should they fail to show and / or pay up.

I think I would be leaving myself somewhat financially exposed to buy EVERYONE'S tickets :)

But I'll keep in touch with the UGC so we should know when its time to besiege the ticketline....

and I'll make my mobile number available closer to the time so we can all get met-up in a pub beforehand.

17. arabiansanchez

Nov 17, 2001
    Excellent- just so myself, chris_ob and Anakin_Skywalker_Sct know the score!

18. chris_ob

chris_ob Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2005
    Is anyone planning on dressing up? Or will it not be as dorky as that? [face_blush]

19. arabiansanchez

Nov 17, 2001
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

20. arabiansanchez

Nov 17, 2001
    Incase you missed it MrDankDomk- the UCI are taking bookings for the midnight show now so the UGC should follow in the next week or so I'd guess so keep us posted! :)

21. MrDankDonk

Mar 28, 2001
    well spotted sanchez....

I'll chase the UGC immediately.

22. arabiansanchez

Nov 17, 2001
    CInespot take bookings from Thu midnight, ugc from thursday. TFN mainpage doesn't stipulate a time.

23. Callie_Skye

Oct 13, 2004
    Never bought tickets in advance before.. normally get somebody else to do that for me!! But now that I'm over here in Scotland guess I'd better learn how! Okay.. so the UGC is selling tickets for a midnight show starting this thursday? Can we just buy them over the phone and collect them later? *ugh* yes I'm a daftie! =)

Since they go onsale at midnight do ya'll reckon there's going to be much of a line... being glasgow and all? or will bright and early thursday morning be soon enough?

Btw does anyone know the if the trailer is playing infront of any of the current movies?

24. Obi_one_and_only

Obi_one_and_only Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 18, 2001
    The UGC site sais tickets will be on sale from midnight March 23rd.

In other words, they are on sale now at your local UGC. :eek:

*runs to get some*

BTW, it's 140min long and rated PG.

25. Callie_Skye

Oct 13, 2004
    Are you sure they're available today? Has anyone actually bought any yet? The website doesn't have the buying feature for it set up yet.... does that imply it's from midnight tonight? AHHH!!!! =)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.