main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx Ugh...another D&D movie.

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by VoidDancer, May 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VoidDancer

VoidDancer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 13, 2002
    This was posted on ENworld.org. They didn't cite a source but this is one of the most reputable news sites for 3rd edition news there is.

"A sequel for the Dungeons and Dragons movie will be released early in 2004. The movie is being produced by Zinc Entertainment, a division of Joel Silver?s Silver Pictures and in conjunction with Marching Band Productions and Sweetpea Entertainment. "

That's the whole bit. I gotta admit, I REALLY didn't care for Dungeons and Dragons 90210 the first time, I'm not that hyped for a sequel. Actually I'm considering trying to sabotage the sets, gamers aren't shown the greatest respect sometimes and the last movie didn't help :)

2. crazybirdman

crazybirdman Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    That movie with Jeremy Irons? And Marlon Wayans? That movie was great! (note: there isn't an icon that can express a high enough level of sarcasm.
    But hey if they're going to make a prequel to Dumb and Dumber, and a sequel to Battlefield Earth, then I suppose anything is possible.

3. PtrsonsZOO

PtrsonsZOO Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 30, 2001
    With enough money and influence you make a movie about the day your mother made you a PB&J sandwich and sell tickets :p

Does anyone have a copy of that first D&D movie made back in the early 80's? I haven't seen that piece of cheese in sooooooo long! :eek:

4. Jedi_Wench

Jedi_Wench Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2002
    NOOOOOOOOOOO!!! [face_shocked]

**PANIC, PANIC**

PLEASE SAY IT ISN'T SO!!!

MAKE THE BAD FILMAKER STOP!!!

:_|

5. MonMartha

MonMartha Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2003
    At first, I thought "D&D" meant the "Dumb and Dumber" sequel.

Uh, is it safe to ask what other people think about "Down With Love"? I liked it. Then again, it has Niles . . . and Obi-Wan. :)

6. TK-4752

TK-4752 Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 20, 2002
    *sigh* I remember the opening night, too. Every single D&D geek in town was there, the theater was packed, and every time someone did something, at least 2 dozen people would mutter, "That's not how it works!"...or..."Hey! You can't combine 1st edition with 3rd edition!"...or..."Wait! That was never in the sourcebooks? Who's the crackhead writing this movie???"

And after the movie??? Riots! RIOTS, I TELL YOU!!! Nobody had seen the red dragon blade doohickey since the early 80s, and only the old-timers knew what was up -- the new guys wanted a sourcebook with it. Then someone threw a rock...then a can of pepper spray went off...and then screaming!

It was the worst night to remember. South Central LA all over again, except everyone had a copy of the Anarchist Handbook in their trunks, and a pocketful of D10's and D20's, and AT LEAST HALF of the people had BLADED WEAPONS (not knives -- BROADSWORDS!) under their trenchcoats!

OH!!!! The horror. I need to go sit down now and try to forget...

7. Kirana_T

Kirana_T Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2002
    That is one of the most amusing movie-going stories I have ever read. [face_laugh]

The dice and the broadswords-was Void there? :D

8. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Thank you both! After dealing w/ ex-in-laws tonight, I needed a good laugh! [face_laugh]

[face_laugh] [face_laugh]

9. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    BTW-Am I the only one old enough to remember that 80's horror style D&D movie? ?[face_plain] :eek: [face_blush]

EDIT: Whoops! [face_blush] Wrong link [face_blush] :)

10. Kirana_T

May 28, 2002
    That was a cartoon series, wasn't it? I remember watching that on Saturday mornings, Zoo. :)

That and Kid Video. Remember that one? [face_mischief] :D

11. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    Sorry, I grabbed the wrong link... Must do more research :)

12. Jedi_Wench

Sep 8, 2002
    [face_laugh] Ok, you actually made me laugh in this thread TK! That is a miracle!

13. TK-4752

Jul 20, 2002
    But that doesn't heal the PAIN!!!! Or the memories!!!

Mighty Cthulhu has cursed my very existence with that night! No other single loss of sanity can compare with what transpired that night!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! IA! IA! Cthulhu fhtagn!!! He curses me with his dreams, he does!!!

14. MonMartha

MonMartha Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2003
    No, I never saw "dungeons & dragons" yet I remember these clunkers:

"The Sword of Valiant" (hint: Sean Connery is "The Green Knight and the then-reigning Mr. Universe plays a bumbling Sir Gawain, or, Chaucer-meets-the Marx Bros.)

"Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure": This one has aged well -- or is it that I wax sentimental over the movie locations?

"Night of the Living Dead": There was a show called "Mad Movies" on channel 22. I am not making this up: four stand-up comics take a B&W B-grade movie, make a 24 minute "short" from it and THEN create a soundtrack from scratch: cheesy music, "Foley" sound effects, and campy, PG dialogue.

The result is hillarious: the blonde girl is the subject of a "sweet sixteen" birthday party & the other guests suffer various mishaps while trying to get ready (e.g., Toby's mother finds a pair of his boxer shorts in her car; the elastic is useless. ;))

Next-to-last scene: Blonde screams, "It's my party and I'll whine if I want to. Whine if I want to." &etc.

Last scene: the zombies (the guests) close in on the blonde's house, saying, "Last one in the pool's a rotten egg!" & etc.

"Flash Gordon" -- with the theme song by Queen! :p

15. Jedi_Wench

Sep 8, 2002
    *Cuddles TK-4752 and strokes his helmet hair*

Shhhh...it's ok...shhhhh little Stormy...someday the pain will fade.

16. VoidDancer

Feb 13, 2002
    That pain can never fade. It set us gamers back by 15 years

17. TK-4752

Jul 20, 2002
    ROOOOWWWWAAARRRRR!!!! *thumpthump THUMP THUMP THUMP* SKREEEEEEEE!!! *SMASH!!! KABOOM!!!* SKRREEEEEEEEE!!! SKREEE!!!! *FLAP! FLAP! FLAP! WOOOOSSHHHH!*

They're destroying the city! Run for your lives!!

EDIT: Whoops. Wrong thread.

18. TK-4752

Jul 20, 2002
    So how many people here have known the physical pain of being pelted by D10's and empty cans of Mountain Dew (I dodged the one that was full) when you allow someone to keep a character for 6 months, only to let Tsathoggua turn all of their hard work into an NPC because you want them to truly know what it's like to lose real sanity points, and you feel that everyone should have at least some level of personal tragedy in their lives because misery loves company?

*raises hand* [face_blush]

19. harpm1

harpm1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 19, 2002
    Yep, that movie sucked!

I heard it wasn't suppose to be what it turned out to be. It was a product of usual Hollywood self destructive practices. Oh well. Can't see why they would make a sequal.

Come to think of it the last time I ever played D&D was back in the 80's. Oh, the memories. Never could play it after that because I got tire of sitting around waiting for people to "create" their characters.

20. TK-4752

Jul 20, 2002
    Character creation is no laughing matter. You think my movie-going experiences are crazy? You should hear my stories about character creation.

One of the LEAST eventful involved a friend having his thumb blown off at the joint. It was later re-attached, and he's since regained full usage of his hand and is now employed by our Nation's finest military force -- the Marines -- doing demolitions.

If irony was made of strawberries, we'd all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now.

And yes, that was the last time we let him create his own BattleMechs.

And YES, this happened after we were old enough to know better.

*sigh*

And YES, the demonstration of why static discharge is highly dangerous around small explosives was quite...magical...to say the least.

I'm pretty sure the FBI has files on everyone in our little Colorado town.

21. Kirana_T

May 28, 2002
    :eek:

Again, was Void there? :D :p

22. TK-4752

Jul 20, 2002
    I'm seeing a pattern here. Void should come play with us. ROFL.

23. VoidDancer

Feb 13, 2002
    I'll do my best to make it up there soon. Hopefully you'll make the regional camp out

And Kirana...

:p

24. Kirana_T

May 28, 2002
  25. Master_R0nin

Master_R0nin Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 18, 2002
    Though I succeeded (sp) in staying away from the movie (never played the game myself anyway), There have been instances where the the sequel was better than the original.

I did not hear that they were doing a sequel to Battlefield Earth. The book KICKED ROYAL AMOUNTS OF BOOTY, and the movie did the exact opposite. What they need instead of a sequel is a complete remake, and don't stray from the book.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.