main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Ugly Day (post-VotF, L/M viggie- Emmi's B-day present!)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by LianaMara, Mar 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LianaMara

LianaMara Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 30, 2000
    Thanks for clicking! :)

Disclaimer- Luke and Mara aren't mine. No one is paying me to write this. And on March 28, the sweet EmilieDarklighter will turn 17, so this is for her B-day. :D

Timeframe- a few months after Union

Characters- Mara Jade, Luke Skywalker, Valin Horn

Genre- romance, humor, vignette

Summary- Mara tries to surprise Luke on his birthday.

I know this is a little early, but I'm not sure I'll be online this weekend. :p So on March 28....

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, EMMI!
    Emmi, I'm so glad you're my friend. You're so sweet and encouraging, and I just want you to know how much we all love you. [face_love] May your b-day be a happy and joyous occasion, and full of FUN! ;)

[b]Ugly Day[/b]

I woke up before sunrise to begin my preparations. Well, actually, that?s not the best term for the painful, gradual process required for me to rejoin the humdrum world of daily life. I rolled off the bed, hit the stone floor with a jolt, clutched for invisible blankets, smacked my elbow against something hard and sharp, and crawled to the refresher in an attempt to regain my senses.

I hate Yavin IV.

A splash of chilled water against my face restored my dignity and my normal thought pattern. Today was Luke?s birthday, and I was going to do the impossible: I was going to bake a cake.

When I first told Leia of my ingenious scheme, she had looked at me rather pityingly. ?But Mara, perhaps it would be best if you allow Tionne to make it. The last time you tried to make a frosted bunt-?

?The fire wasn?t that large. I just mixed up the wrong temperatures.?

?You also couldn?t tell the difference between flour and sugar-?

?That was two months ago. I?m much better now.?

Leia had given me another odd look, but I told her to go find some disputing systems to mediate and leave me alone. I hated how everyone portrayed my culinary abilities in such a poor light. So I had a few problems cooking. Yes, I tended to burn rolls and blacken casseroles, but my food was still edible- most of the time. At least, that?s what Luke told me.

This time, I was certain that my cake would be a success. This was my chance to prove to the Jedi Academy- no, the entire universe- that Mara Jade Skywalker wasn?t a walking fire hazard. Kyp Durron would rue the day he compared my food to flavorless duracrete.

I wrapped an old mauve robe around my slightly skimpy sleep shirt, pulled on a pair of knee-high boots, then crept past Luke. He was still dreaming happily, snuggled beneath the covers like the little boy he was at heart. Although he did hog the bed sheets, which annoyed me to no end, particularly on the rare chilly night. I brushed a loose lock of hair off his forehead and tiptoed outside.

The halls were eerily quiet, and I tried to stifle my footsteps until I reached the kitchen. Then I realized it was hard to be secretive with beeping timers and whirring mixers. Making a cake couldn?t be accomplished with a same finesse as an assassination attempt. There was no avoiding the noise and clatter of the whole affair.

I?d picked out an elaborate recipe yesterday for a yummy three-layered Corellian chocolate crème dessert that the Horns had sent me. It didn?t seem too complicated, and when everyone saw the final result, they would fall to their knees in reverence. I wouldn?t be she-who-must-be-barred-from-merely-entering-the-cafeteria. No, I would be Mara the esteemed chef, Mara the creator of renowned confections. Damnation to all who thought I could only kill, fight, and insult.

Preheat oven to 300º. Actually, I was guessing at the temperature, for I couldn?t exactly tell what the correct number was. Mirax?s handwriting has never been clear.

I glanced at the slip of scribepaper for the first ingredients. Eight eggs. But a frenzied search of the refrigeration unit revealed that we only had six eggs. Hmm...that wouldn?t be too much of a problem. A little extra milk should work perfectly.

Cinnamon fluid? I couldn?t find any. Perhaps vegetabl

2. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    The halls were eerily quiet, and I tried to stifle my footsteps until I reached the kitchen. Then I realized it was hard to be secretive with beeping timers and whirring mixers. Making a cake couldn?t be accomplished with a same finesse as an assassination attempt. There was no avoiding the noise and clatter of the whole affair.

This was HILARIOUS! I loved it! I'm the daughter of a mom who "doesn't do the cooking stuff" as she puts it and the mother of a teenage daughter who has already informed us that her husband either better love to cook or he'll be ordering take-out. I can totally relate, although I bake and cook all the time. Poor Mara, she would much rather be on an assassination mission than baking this stupid cake. Great job! You nailed Mara's character and thoughts. I loved Luke's response, too, that he wanted her not a chef. Superb work!

3. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Cute and funny. Too bad there isn't a bakery on Yavin. ;)

4. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    LELI! *squeals* It's beautiful! Thank you SO much! *giggles* I'm so excited! I'll be back with more comments later; I'm just too happy to concentrate right now! *bounces* Whee!

5. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    LOL! Wonderfully cute story.

It didn?t seem too complicated, and when everyone saw the final result, they would fall to their knees in reverence. I wouldn?t be she-who-must-be-barred-from-merely-entering-the-cafeteria. No, I would be Mara the esteemed chef, Mara the creator of renowned confections. Damnation to all who thought I could only kill, fight, and insult.

Yep, she'd better get rid of the evidence quickly before everyone falls to their knees laughing. Poor Mara. She just wanted to do something to please Luke. Sure can't fault her for that.

And happy birthday early to Emmi. :D

6. Stormtrooper_Shrink

Stormtrooper_Shrink Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    When I first told Leia of my ingenious scheme, she had looked at me rather pityingly. ?But Mara, perhaps it would be best if you allow Tionne to make it. The last time you tried to make a frosted bunt-?

?The fire wasn?t that large. I just mixed up the wrong temperatures.?

?You also couldn?t tell the difference between flour and sugar-?

?That was two months ago. I?m much better now.?

LOL!

Very cute! The agonies of cooking...! :D I feel for Mara...

Happy detaleb birthday to Emilie! :D

7. Eowyn_Jade

Eowyn_Jade Jedi Master star 4

Jan 14, 2003
    That was SO cute! And SO sweet! Oh just what I neede to read

:[face_sigh]:

why can't every guy be as wondeful as Luke... :(

EJ

8. J_M_Bulldog

J_M_Bulldog Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2003
    Oh, that was cute and funny and sweet. I loved it.

Happy early birhtday, Emmi

9. Tekli_theInsane

Tekli_theInsane Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 22, 2004
    That was HILARIOUS! Oh my gosh, just the idea of Mara baking a birthday cake is funny... :)

Damnation to all who thought I could only kill, fight, and insult.

So Mara. That line had me laughing so hard I almost fell out of my chair! The entire thing was great. I liked Luke at the end. That just seems like something he would do. [face_love] Luke! [face_love]

10. Jaded_Girl

Jaded_Girl Jedi Master star 4

Aug 9, 2001
    AWESOME viggie! Wonderfully Mara!

I wouldn?t be she-who-must-be-barred-from-merely-entering-the-cafeteria. No, I would be Mara the esteemed chef, Mara the creator of renowned confections.

*sigh* I've sung that tune before...

[face_laugh] My favorite line! And the award for most Mara-like comment goes too...LianaMara!!! *crowd cheers*

Still, Mara, might as well stick with what you're best at! :D ;)

11. Ariapaige

Ariapaige Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 25, 2002
    Eee! This is soo cute. :) I loved Luke at the end especially. But what happened to Valin?

;) Paige

12. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    I woke up before sunrise to begin my preparations. Well, actually, that?s not the best term for the painful, gradual process required for me to rejoin the humdrum world of daily life. I rolled off the bed, hit the stone floor with a jolt, clutched for invisible blankets, smacked my elbow against something hard and sharp, and crawled to the refresher in an attempt to regain my senses.

I hate Yavin IV.

LOL! That's exactly what I imagine Mara's opinion of Yavin IV to be! :p

Leia had given me another odd look, but I told her to go find some disputing systems to mediate and leave me alone.

ROTFLOL!

I hated how everyone portrayed my culinary abilities in such a poor light. So I had a few problems cooking. Yes, I tended to burn rolls and blacken casseroles, but my food was still edible- most of the time. At least, that?s what Luke told me.

That is because Luke is a very sweet and doting husband. [face_love]

Kyp Durron would rue the day he compared my food to flavorless duracrete.

I'm surprised Mara didn't make him rue it the minute he said it! :eek:

I wouldn?t be she-who-must-be-barred-from-merely-entering-the-cafeteria.

*giggles madly* Probably exactly what she is, and I can see how it might grate on her nerves. :p

?No. No. Didn?t your parents ever tell you how unhealthy that is? Raw eggs contain more bacteria than an Invisec bar.?

Valin frowned. ?But you dipped your finger in the bowl a few minutes ago-?

Busted! [face_laugh]

?I would never lie! Daddy says honesty is a virtue, although Grandpa Booster likes to contradict him?smoke, Mara!?

Too funny on all counts! :p

?But I can?t even cook!?

?I don?t want a chef. I want you.?

[face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

Lovely, Liana! :D And I wish I'd been able to see Emmi bounce when she first read it. :p :D

13. LianaMara

LianaMara Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 30, 2000
    Replies! I have diligently answered. Go me! :p Now, I must answer all my PMs, too.

VaderLVR64- Thank you! :D Mara's little disaster was slightly inspired by my own misadventures in the kitchen (I put Easy-Mac in the oven, once... [face_blush] ), so I was able to think up some good ideas. And are you sure you're not MY mom? Maman is stuck with Grand-Maman, who can't even make grilled cheese, and me, who...um...I set toast on fire. :p

I loved Luke's response, too, that he wanted her not a chef.

Now that I'm reading it again (I wrote this one day in the end of Feb), that line really fits. It just seems so...Luke. ;) He's such a sweetie. :D

RebelMummy- Too bad there isn't a bakery on Yavin.

I see...I see a certain redhead...buying desserts...and...the vision's getting foggy. :p Thankies! :)

Emmi- You're welcome! :D *huggles* I wanted something light and fluffy. Like a cake. And about cake. ;)

Jedi-2B- Thank you! :D

Yep, she'd better get rid of the evidence quickly before everyone falls to their knees laughing.

;) Now I'm wondering what Luke would be like in the kitchen... [face_mischief]

Stormtrooper_Shrink- Thanks! :)

The agonies of cooking...! I feel for Mara...

Hehehe! :D Why does everyone say that cooking is a cinch when it most definitely is not? :confused: But Mara would try it on her own. :p

EJ- why can't every guy be as wonderful as Luke...

Somewhere, out there, there is a whole colony of perfect men like Luke. And when I discover it, I'll share the location to whoever's interested. ;) Thanks! :) And I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

J_M_Bulldog- Thank you. :)

Tekli_theInsane- Thanks! :D Poor girl, slaving away at something she'll never be good at. :p

That line had me laughing so hard I almost fell out of my chair!

Really? :eek: Wow! :D Most of this was written during Math class. I think I failed the quiz that day, but I felt satisfied. :p *huggles Luke* [face_love]

Jaded_Girl- Thankies! :D

My favorite line! And the award for most Mara-like comment goes too...LianaMara!!! *crowd cheers*

Oh, thank you! Hehehe...I think I'll put the line in my sig now. ;) She may not be able to sing or cook, but she can insult, for gosh sakes! :p

Good Mara. Leave the food to the farmboy. ;)

Ariapaige- Thanks! :)

But what happened to Valin?

Hmmm...I can't rememeber. I can think of several possible scenerios:

1) Ran away to tell others that Mara swore worse than his mommy AND daddy combined

2) Got Luke

3) Snuck back in later and ate the dough :p

;)

Gabri- Yay! Gabri replies! :D [face_love] I've already said before how much I love your replies, right? ;)

That is because Luke is a very sweet and doting husband.

He is just SO adorable. *huggles Luke* :D

I'm surprised Mara didn't make him rue it the minute he said it!

Hmmm...she probably did. :p A nasty stare, and several sharp comments. Slowly waiting to get her full revenge... [face_mischief]

*giggles madly* Probably exactly what she is, and I can see how it might grate on her nerves.

Nothing hurts worse than the truth. :p

Busted!

Mwahaha! [face_devil]

And I wish I'd been able to see Emmi bounce when she first read it.

What I wouldn't have given for a hidden camera... ;) :D

So, uppers! And now, I've gotten a slight bunny for a sequel...but I don't know if I should develop it. ;)

14. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
  15. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    *giggles* I heart it. [face_love] It's adorable. I can picture it all so clearly. :D :D And it's so funny, there are so many great lines (most of which have already been picked out - no one has picked out the whole story yet, so they haven't gotten to all the great lines [face_mischief] ).

*huggies Liana and Emmi* [face_love]

16. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Yup, you've mentioned that, Li. [face_blush]

And of course you should develop the sequel's bunny. The only thing better than plot bunnies is more plot bunnies. ;)

17. kayladie97

kayladie97 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    Awww, this was so sweet! I love the idea of Mara wanting to do something special for Luke on his birthday. And I cracked up at the line about her being barred from the cafeteria! [face_laugh]

And of course, Luke is so adorable and loving that he comforts her and makes her feel all better! [face_love]

I vote for sequel!!! Okay, I don't know if you were even taking a poll, but my votes are always for a sequel! :p (Just ask Oba!)

18. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    Sequels are good. ;) UP! Two days til my birthday!

19. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    Upping this in honor of Emmi's birthday today!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, EMMI!!!

:D :D :D :D :D

20. ThePariah

ThePariah Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    Since I haven't successfully poked her on MSN, here's my contribution: :p

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, EMMI DEAREST!!!!!

*throws confetti and whips out Mom's German chocolate cake with coconut-pecan frosting*

Em, I hugged a cardboard Lukie for you yesterday! No, really, I did! [face_love] :p [face_laugh] :D

And no, it wasn't nearly as nice as the real thing. [face_mischief]

21. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    And only you would know the difference between the cardboard and the real thing, Mar. ;) THANKEES, EVERYONE!

22. Lt_Jaina_Solo

Lt_Jaina_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

May 27, 2002
    Oh, that was definately sweet, Liana! I loved every bit of this wonderful story. [face_laugh]

This was my chance to prove to the Jedi Academy- no, the entire universe- that Mara Jade Skywalker wasn?t a walking fire hazard. Kyp Durron would rue the day he compared my food to flavorless duracrete.

It didn?t seem too complicated, and when everyone saw the final result, they would fall to their knees in reverence. I wouldn?t be she-who-must-be-barred-from-merely-entering-the-cafeteria. No, I would be Mara the esteemed chef, Mara the creator of renowned confections. Damnation to all who thought I could only kill, fight, and insult.

ROTFLOL!

Happy belated birthday, Emmi!

23. Elyra

Elyra Jedi Youngling

Feb 18, 2004
    that is so sweet! i also love how you wrote mara, sweet but not to soppy. great fic!

24. puppyglo

puppyglo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2003
    This was my chance to prove to the Jedi Academy- no, the entire universe- that Mara Jade Skywalker wasn?t a walking fire hazard.

Sounds like me. :p

So Mara-like...

Cinnamon fluid? I couldn?t find any. Perhaps vegetable oil instead?

[face_laugh]

?I don?t think you?re totally awake yet. Why don?t you go back to bed?? .... ?Take a nap before breakfast. Have you taken your temperature? Fevers can make people fib.?

lol Excellent! I am so going to use that on my little cousin (she's 5)!

?I don?t want a chef. I want you.?

Aww! So sweet! Very cute viggie! Really enjoyed it! I don't normally read L/M but I'm glad a read this one. Loved it [face_love]

~Gloria

25. Saber-of-Light

Saber-of-Light Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Excellent, Liana! I felt so sorry for Mara...but that's what Lukie-poo's for ;) Emmi, happy birthday! :D *GLOMP*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.