main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

uh...Han moved in the SE when Greedo shot first

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by theninjapants, Sep 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theninjapants

theninjapants Jedi Youngling

Sep 11, 2004
    I have no idea why everyone is posting that Han moving to the side when Greedo shoots first is new to the DVD's. This was in the Special Edition VHS set. I thought maybe he moved more and that's why people were talking about it, but nope..Han moved the exact amount. I can't believe die hard geeks didn't know that and I did.

Also....where exactly has the trash monster been improved? It's still stop motion animation, you can tell from the jerkiness of the camera and animation, so they certainly didn't redo it.

TLJ Edit: Discussed extensively elsewhere - everywhere...

2. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    Also....where exactly has the trash monster been improved?

The eye blinks now.

3. Shiro

Shiro Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 9, 2004
    It looked like he moved to me in the DVDs and not in the SE...anyways I really don't care who shot first. This greedo shooting first whining has gotten so very old.:rolleyes:

4. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004

The reason people mention it, is because before the SE's there was no Greedo shot.

And people still dont like it.

One of those people is me..

CLone

5. theninjapants

theninjapants Jedi Youngling

Sep 11, 2004
    I'm not really against Greedo shooting first...I'm against how awful it looks. It doesn't look any worse than the CG 3PO on the land speeder in the new Mos Eisley scene, so let's be fair at least.

Han definately moves to the side in the SE though. I was watching it with friends last summer and we were making fun of how bad it was. It would be odd to completely imagine that happening and then all of a sudden it's in the DVD's, wouldnt it?

6. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    If Greedo shot first in the O-OT ANH and Lucas then changed it that only Han shoots for the SE, people would still be complaining. People would say that Lucas made Han look like a cold blooded killer.

7. Shiro

Shiro Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 9, 2004
    Exactly...we get complainers everywhere complaining about every...little...thing. Sigh...

8. Magic_Al

Magic_Al Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 18, 2003
    It's similar to how it is in the SE but it is different, most notably in that Greedo now shoots less than 1/10 of a second before Han, but also the digital manipulation of Han looks a little better. There was an even more different version floating around in which the camera changes to the shoot-out angle before Han says, "yes I bet you have" and that showed that ILM had very extensively redone the whole thing. Ultimately the redone version got edited similarly to how it was in the SE.

9. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    A guy I talk to that just bought the DVDs, but had never seen the SE or even wide screen, brought me a whole new perspective on this.

He gets all excited and tells me that Greedo finally gets a chance to shoot! It's all in the perspective, I guess.

So there you go. Don't look at it as making Han less rougish, see it as making Greedo more of a threat.
    It helps a little.

10. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    They shoot so close now, it's not even Han waiting for him to shoot first anymore. It's Greedo getting lucky getting a shot off before Han blasts the sucker.
    I don't care how smooth Han is, there's no way he'd be able to react that quick. That was his own doing.

11. Sanctuary_Moon

Sanctuary_Moon Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2004
    If Greedo shot first in the O-OT ANH and Lucas then changed it that only Han shoots for the SE, people would still be complaining. People would say that Lucas made Han look like a cold blooded killer.

DarthLassic007, that's the exact same argument that Lucas has recently given for the original change - that he didn't want people to think Han "murdered" Greedo. The problem here is, Lucas obviously feels that a bounty hunter waving a blaster in your face and telling you he's gonna kill you isn't sufficient grounds for shooting in self-defence. Or that his audience are too brainless to work this out for themselves!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.