main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD Uh-Oh luigi's talking about the Alien movies again, give it a rest!

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by -luigi-, Jul 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -luigi-

-luigi- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2002
    Finally saw the Special Edition of Alien 3 and wow, it's twice as good as the theatrical cut. I actually think it's better than the first film now and I really like the first one.
    It's not another one of those 'director's cuts' where footage has been added that makes little to no difference, it does add a lot of footage but most of it left me shaking my head as to why it was cut out in the first place.
    I liked Alien 3 originally because I thought it was visually stunning and created a very effective mood (as do all Fincher films) but the Special Edition whilst still looking very pretty has a whole lot more going for it.

Here come some spoilers,

The Alien no longer comes out of a dog (this scene was added well after they finished shooting). It now comes out of a giant dead Ox, the prisoners use Oxes (sp?) to drag the crashed escape pod back to the facility. The scene where you actually see them rescue Ripley now adds a lot to the movie as you get a far greater sense of where they are and what the planet is like.

They actually capture the Alien at one point but a looney prisoner (Golic) who thinks it's the angel of death let's it out! Golic has a much bigger part in the special edition and it surprised me to find out that he was played by Paul McGann (who later went on to be Doctor Who in the failed American pilot).
    In the theatrical cut he's the prisoner who goes crazy after he sees the Alien kill the first two prisoners, they then put him in a straight jacket and he mysteriously disappears for the rest of the film.

END SPOILERS

This 'Special Edition' is actually an earlier cut of the film before Fox made Fincher change it, Fincher has washed his hands of the whole thing and refused to even take part in the interviews for the second disc. So whilst still being a fantastic film you can tell that it's not quite finished as the music seems to cut very abruptly in some of the scene changes.

2. Noelle-D

Noelle-D Jedi Youngling

Jul 13, 2004
    I gotta see this! Sounds like it could completely change my attitude towards 3.

3. NeecH

NeecH Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2003
    I loved it but I think the birthing scene should have stayed the same.

4. -luigi-

Jul 26, 2002
    I thought you hated the dog?

The cool thing about the other birthing scene is that you get to see the super-face hugger.

Another interesting thing about Alien 3 is the effects, they used a technique called mo-motion which is basically miniature puppeteering against a blue screen using motion control. Some of the shots are really good, almost as good as cg. Spielberg was actually going to make Jurassic Park that way until ILM convinced him that cg was viable.

5. NeecH

NeecH Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2003
    I've never said I hated the dog. I've always loved the concept of the alien taking a similar form of it's 'parent' (which the ox scene now destroys). I just think the ox scene should have been on the disc as a deleted/alternate scene and not added into the movie just because they were adding all the other deleted stuff.

6. Nyder

Nyder Jedi Master star 4

Jun 27, 2002
    I liked the Ox scene because you got to see more of the cute bambi alien that bursted out. [face_love]

Did you just watch the Alien Quadrilogy discs, luigi? Have you seen the new edition of Alien Resurrection?

I really liked all of the new editions of the alien films, except for some parts in Aliens like when they show the colony before it was decimated by aliens. That scene had really bad acting, ruined the buildup and was pointless.

I actually have the region 1 discs which are virtually the same but has different cover art. But now I can't play them because of a stupid thing built into windows which only allows you to play other regions a certain number of times.

7. -luigi-

Jul 26, 2002
    Alien 3 is the only one I've watched on the set so far, I watched the 4 extras discs first. I've seen the Aliens special edition though because it's been out for years (it's the version they play on tv), I like the extra bits but it doesn't add a whole lot. Did anybody else notice that The captain of the Red Dwarf is in it? :p

I'll watch the Alien directors cut first (even though I've seen all the deleted scenes separately).

8. Nyder

Nyder Jedi Master star 4

Jun 27, 2002
    Alien DC is showing on Foxtel so I've seen it 3 times over the past few days. I like the new shot of the alien hanging upside down on the chains, the new scene where Lambert confronts Ripley and the part where the alien hits the catbox.

9. NeecH

NeecH Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2003
    I thought the new additions to Ressurection were pointless, they didn't make the movie better or worse in my opinion. It was just different and yet exactly the same.

10. -luigi-

Jul 26, 2002
    bummer

11. Nyder

Nyder Jedi Master star 4

Jun 27, 2002
    I liked the new ending for Resurrection. The beginning was alright too if you accept that Resurrection was mainly going to be farcical, which it was.

12. NeecH

NeecH Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2003
    Farcical aquatic?

13. Nyder

Nyder Jedi Master star 4

Jun 27, 2002
    No, farcical as in the french style of film-making such as by Jeunet and in line with his previous films.

14. -luigi-

Jul 26, 2002
    Now we see the violence inherit in the system.

15. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    ordinarily I can spot mac mcdonald in a heartbeat but I don't remember him in alien 3.

mind you, I've seen it all of twice (and one of the was dusk til dawn drive in fest)

16. -luigi-

Jul 26, 2002
    he's in Aliens (the special edition) not Alien 3, he's actually the 'Captain' (if you will) of the facility.

well he's the guy in charge anyway :p

17. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    Actually now that you mention it, I think I can visualise him...

IMDB dosen't mention it.

Altough I like the way red dwarf: the movie lists Rimmer.

Disappointing that nirvana crane isn't jane horrocks :/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.