main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Uhh guys...E3 started like a day ago.

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Soontir-Fel, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vengance1003

Vengance1003 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2006
    Good news Nintendo, the Capcom conference sucked more than yours did.

2. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    TEDDY BEAR LAUNCHER!!!!

3. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Much as I hate to admit it, that shot of Green Lantern with the buzz-saw during the DC Universe presentation really geeked me out.

Though it would've have been nice to see some actual gameplay. Some of the heroes looked OK, but the Joker looks absolutely horrible, especially when the designer here is supposed to be Jim Lee.

What a ****ing joke that Nintendo briefing was. From what I've read, we have no idea how bad people hated it...not even a swell in the audience ONCE, even among the fanboys.

Disappointing as Nintendo's conference was, I'm still holding out a little hope. They've been known to reveal good stuff late in the event. Smash Bros. Brawl, for instance, wasn't announced until the last day of E3.

On the flipside, watching the Sony briefing on G4, their fanboys were going bananas at any little announcement. Also, free booze.

4. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    Yeah they looked cut-scenish, no idea what your actual character can look like. Really wish it was a single player game, I'm MMOed out

5. HemDazon90

HemDazon90 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 4, 2008
    god of war 3

6. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    Also...Jesus, but that Resistance 2 clip just looked massively, massively unfun.

7. Vengance1003

Mar 4, 2006
    Any place to check out the Activision thing live by any chance?

8. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    QFT

9. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Dead Rising being ported to the Wii.

Huh. A 360 game going to the Wii before the PS3. I wonder when the RE5 wii version will be announced.

10. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    I simply cannot afford to play MMOs. Therefore DC Universe does nothing for me.

11. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    Capcom said a month or two ago that there wouldn't be a Wii port of RE5 due to low sales of RE4 on that console. But just looking at the Resi 5 trailers, it's clear that the Wii wouldn't even be able to handle it anyhow without massively downgrading the game's graphics and resolution to almost last-gen levels. It'd be like the PS2 version of The Force Unleashed.

Seriously...the Wii would cough up blood, fall over, and die just trying to install the 360 and PS3 versions as they stand now.

Note to Reggie and Iwata:

Your E3 Press Conference is not a shareholder meeting. While it's interesting that your two systems continue to print money, focusing on that instead of making any genuinely exciting announcements isn't going to contribute to the money-printing. Focusing on casual games (and games that aren't actually games at all, like Wii Music) when the only people paying attention are the press and core gamers is also not going to contribute to the money-printing.

Wii Music's target audience won't even know about it until a week before it comes out. And saying in the weeks leading up to E3 that you were going to have some "big surprises" for the core gamers, and then NOT mentioning anything geared toward them, is only going to drive more core gamers away.

12. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    So nothing yet about Mass Effect 2? I am disappointed.

13. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    While I agree Nintendo has been going far more mainstream anymore, and while I do consider myself a core gamer, I'm actually still mildly excited about Wii Music, although that could merely be a result of my love of... music...

I agree, however, that the news so far has been unexciting, to say the least.

14. Lane_Winree

Lane_Winree Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2006
    I think Penny Arcade summed up my feelings of the Big Three pressers nicely.

All three press conferences were rather meh. I'd rank them Microsoft > Nintendo > Sony.

Biggest surprise: Microsoft's presser - Final Fantasy XIII no longer a PS3 exclusive, will be a simultaneous 360/PS3 release in North America and Europe.
    Biggest disappointment: Sony's presser - LBP pushed back again, Home not even ready for beta, more games that aren't going to be released until 2010 at the earliest.

15. del

del Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 4, 2008
    I'm glad I wasn't the only one who got tired of all the talking. I couldn't stand that woman's voice. Usually I think Reggie's pretty cool, but I was saying, "Get on with it, show us lots of games!" I got bored and went to work on an art project instead.
    The Clone Wars game looks neat. I'm having trouble believing that the DC MMO is going to be any good. It looks pretty, but that's about it. I was also hoping Nintendo would announce some games for older characters. I agree that Kid Icarus would have been neat. I wonder what the next Metroid game will be like. I've always been a big fan of Samus.

16. Lane_Winree

Mar 30, 2006
    So if Square-Enix (who has been in Sony's backpocket for years) says "we're finished with console exclusivity," how much longer before other Japanese devs follow suit? It makes sense from a business perspective. The larger your audience, the more units you sell. The more units you sell, the more money you make. Regardless of what Sony or Microsoft's PR people tell you, it's not overly time-consuming and expensive to port games from platform to platform.

I like this trend, to be honest. The more choices the consumer has, the better off the consumer is.

17. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    Word from virtually every E3 inside source is that Mirror's Edge is shaping up to be something quite extraordinary. Think this one's officially going on my "watch list."

Likewise, Dead Space is also steadily gaining in buzz after its E3 hands-on.

Absolutely. Fewer and fewer developers are tethering themselves to "exclusivity" deals with console manufacturers on either side of the Pacific any more, and it's finally sunk in that the financial incentives are far greater with multiplatform releases than with single-platform exclusives.

SquareEnix is no exception to this, and there wouldn't even be so much rage over this on the Final Fantasy and PS3 boards if people stopped and used their brains to think about this for one damn minute. ...Like, durh.

18. Lane_Winree

Mar 30, 2006
    I saw a tech demo of Mirror's Edge at Kotaku a few months ago.

My jaw hit the floor. That is a game that will likely be on my MUST HAVE NOW list.

19. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    Also, I've been hearing reports that Too Human blows hard. The combat is too "sticky," and the camera sucks major donkey bubs. They should've made Eternal Darkness 2, instead.

That, and Dyack should've spent the last ten years working on making his game kick ass, rather than writing pretentious manifestos about how people shouldn't be mean on the internets.

20. Vengance1003

Mar 4, 2006
  21. Lane_Winree

Mar 30, 2006

The accusations of Squeenix "selling out" to Microsoft makes me laugh. Console exclusivity is nothing but ammunition for fanboys to use in their quest to prove some arbitrary company's product is better than some other arbitrary company's product.

Frankly, I'm thrilled that I'll be able to choose between the PS3 and the 360.

22. Hammurabi

Hammurabi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 14, 2007
    Haha. I love how Miyamoto just casually let that one out. At first he was giving some official bull****, but then he just came out with it. When someone asked if they were planning to revisit the Pikmin franchise, here's Miyamoto's response:

"We continue investigating all types of games. When it's time to announce such a title, I'll announce it."

"We're making Pikmin."

JUST LIKE THAT!

23. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    I'm super excited about Final Fantasy XIII but it just makes me sad for Sony that they're losing exclusivity on so many things (GTA, RE5, FFXIII)...well, not really. It is sad though...in a lame way. It makes me that much happier I have a 360.

I, too, wanted to see something about Mass Effect 2 or Jade Empire 2. /bioware fangirl

24. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Sony should have countered Microsoft's FFXIII announcement with a Mass Effect 2 teaser.

25. Vengance1003

Mar 4, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.