main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Uhhhhh science.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Hernalt, Feb 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Post your central, meaningful gripes with the science / engineering / science fictional depictions in TFA. For any given case where the central gripe is a mixture of 'science' with character, setting, plot, event, or some other facet, try to close in on the science component of the gripe. Does the gripe relate to a way of depicting science fiction elements that is different from the way Lucas depicted analogue science fiction elements? What is the relative freedom that the new franchise operator has to alter the central tendency of depictions (loosely, AKA, 'rules'), in Lucas Star Wars, of this or that science fictional feature? E.g. depictions and uses of hyperspace, lightspeed, etc.

2. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Well, the Map to Luke was too graphically intensive.
    It should have been 1970's low tech computer wireframe.

I did like that the USB holding the missing bit of the Map was actually shaped liked the missing part of the Map. Luke must have been getting really bored sitting alone on his island when he crafted that.

3. Rancor Keeper

Rancor Keeper Jedi Master star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    You should never judge the science in a Star Wars movie. None of them were ever meant to be science fiction, they are a space opera or science fantasy. You either accept the 'science" as the writers present it or you don't.

For example, there's no logical way to explain (by the science we have or can predict)

• How you can excavate as deeply into a planet as they show in Starkiller base. You've gone well below where plate techtonics give may to the molten core
    • How you can absorb the mass of a star into something the size of a planet
    • How, even if you could absorb the mass of the star and store it in some sort of batteries, it would not still create the gravity of a star and flatten everyone and everything on starkiller base
    • How you can project a light/energy weapon at faster than light speeds
    • Spaceships don't make a sound in space

Those are the ones I came up with in 60 seconds, and now I'm going to go eat my dinner

4. Bacbacca

Bacbacca Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2011
    I thought the X-wing was taken out too easily by those Stormtroopers.
    And in the Rebel Base there were some pilots acting like mechanics, that looked weird. They should've had mechanics being mechanics.

I also didnt like that they used "dont tell me the odds" as an excuse to do crazy stuff with light speed.
    Going to LS inside of a ship. Apparently now LS is just opening up a portal and sliding in?
    Then getting out of LS inside atmosphere.

5. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    ROFL!!!!!

Maybe he didn't have time to put up the shields?

6. lord ren

lord ren Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 29, 2016
  7. lord ren

lord ren Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 29, 2016

this had to be the dumbest...lightspeed was always a kind of nickname for Einstein style interstellar travel

8. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    When was it not?

9. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2000
    This is the GFFA....

*waves hand* :ben: "You don't need to understand the science."

MarcJordan, MeBeJedi and darth elyk like this.
  10. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002

"I suppose it's space fantasy,' Lucas said at the time. "But we don't explain anything. We take the hardware for granted. The story really is an action adventure, a fantasy hero's journey. It's aimed primarily at teenagers, the same audience as American Grafitti." - George Lucas: The Creative Impulse

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  11. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Done.

Moderators, the clergy have spoken. Close this.

12. Skillzwalker

Skillzwalker Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2015
    None of it bothers me at all, its Star Wars in a GFFA, things are different there.

If I wanted to pick a hole in it i would be here for ages, same as any other of the Sw movies. For starters besides the notion of being able to see SKB weapon firing from Takodana being ridiculous the fact it is striking another star system it is likely to be 1000 light years away, quite possibly a lot lot more. Hence if they could actually see it on takodana it would of actually happened 1000+ years earlier.

Who cares though, certainly not me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.