main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Uhl Eharl Khoehng

Discussion in 'Literature' started by PrinceXizor, Dec 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    It happens right before Dark Empire.

But why is there another Jedi - Fable - not in hiding (she's visibly with the Alliance), not just Luke. I don't get it...

And are there other stories where the Brandl are in ?

2. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Actually, I think it's right before ANH at some point. Mavrick knows.

3. The Cat

The Cat Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 24, 2000
    Adalric Brandl is introduced in "The Final Exit," found in Star Wars Adventure Journal #4, The Best of the Star Wars Adventure Journal, and Tales from the Empire.

Jaalib Brandl and Fable Astin are introduced in "Uhl Eharl Khoengh," in SWAJ #8 and Tales from the New Republic.

Jaalib Brandl meets Alex Winger in "Betrayal by Knight," found in SWAJ #12. Fable and Adalric aren't in it, and it's not as well written as the others, probably because the other two are such interesting characters.

The final entry in the Brandl stories is "Emanations of Darkness," which has not been officially published. You can find it on swrpgnetwork.com, or PM me and I'll send it to you. It continues the Fable/ Jaalib romance, and is VERY well written by Mz. Jackson herself.

As to the timing of the stories, BbK takes place not long after Endor, and about four years after UEK, which takes place five years after TFE. That alone is enough to erode the Dark Empire dilemma.

4. RogueJaina

RogueJaina Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2001
    Ooh, The Best of the Star Wars Adventure Journal sounds good! Why have I never seen it?

5. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    Sturm : It's definitively before Dark Empire at the end, at least. They talk about Byss.

6. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Are you sure? Palpatine has been using Byss for quite some time, even before ROTJ, I think.

7. peregrine

peregrine Jedi Master star 4

Nov 18, 2000
    I thought it was sometime between ESB and ROTJ?

Anyway, it was a wonderful story, with a very special atmosphere.

8. Draco_Starcloud

Draco_Starcloud Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 25, 2001
    I didn't understand what happened in this story.

9. darthjarjarbinks

darthjarjarbinks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2000
    I agree, Draco. I can attribute this to 3 factors, in my case...

a) I read it on a plane from San Fran to Sydney. Was tired and confused...
    b) I haven't read any of the adventure journals etc which weren't already in a Tales Of book.
    c) running on from b, it was written like I should already and inequivocally know who these characters were. Like I'd just picked up halfway through a novel. Made it very confusing. The time setting wasn't made clear either, which made the story even MORE confusing.

10. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    I read the extracts that could help situating on the timeline, and indeed, they seem to talk about the Emperor as if he wasn't dead and resurrected. So yes, you're right, Sturm. Since Byss was used a while ago, we can assume it happens in the movies timeframe, probably near ANH as you and The Cat said. I guess the Ultimate Timeline's wrong...

Could someone post a summary of "Betrayal by Knight" ? I got all the other stories, except that one.

And no one answered my question yet :( : why is a 'young Jedi' (Fable) in this story ? All Jedi should be in hiding at that time, no ?

And yet another question. Deke's a 'Socorran', but I'm not sure... Is that how the people of 'Sacorria' (the planet at the edge of the Correllian system) are called ? Or does he come from another planet ?

11. Ana Vitorrian

Ana Vitorrian Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 2, 1999
    I would agree that it's set sometime between ESB & RotJ.

12. Ana Vitorrian

Mar 2, 1999
    Socorro is an Outer Rim Planet created by Patricia A. Jackson. She has a WEG Supplement entitled "The Black Sands of Socorro." Her Drake Paulsen stories revolve around Socorro and the Socorran culture. Recently, Chris Cassidy & Tish Pahl featured Socorro in their SW Gamer 'Fenn & Ghitsa' story.

The Socorrans do have ancesteral ties to the Corellians and many still speak "Old Corellian" - a dialect quite distinctive from Basic.

13. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    "The final entry in the Brandl stories is "Emanations of Darkness," which has not been officially published. You can find it on swrpgnetwork.com, or PM me and I'll send it to you. It continues the Fable/ Jaalib romance, and is VERY well written by Mz. Jackson herself."

It's too bad that lfl will not include into continuity, and denied it's entry int star wars gamer magazine.

Which means if lfl decides to write it's own brandle story, it could contradict Jackson's story.

Also an official author writing fanfic, could conceivably hurt her chance of ever printing another official story. I think MAS mentioned something about that, when asked if he could write a short story for the fans. He mentioned something about plagiarism laws and such.

14. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    Events in this story takes place 5 years after TFE. TFE takes place 15 years before Betrayal by Knight. Therefor, UEK takes place right before ANH.

15. The Cat

Mar 24, 2000
    In "Betrayal by Knight," Garos IV is about to be invaded by the New Republic and Jaalib Brandl is sent to oversee the Imperial evacuation. Jaalib is now a Dark Jedi, since his father had to send him to the Emperor instead of Fable after UEK.

Alex Winger, the daughter of Imperial Governor Tork Winger, secretly supports the Rebels. An Imperial hangout is bombed, and suspecting Rebel sympathizers, Alex and Tork are sent into hiding. While there, she "comes out of the closet" to her father regarding her Rebel ties, and states she knows Rebels weren't involved.

It was all a trap by Jaalib. He meant to betray the Empire, and his plan was to bomb the hangout as a ruse to seclude the Wingers, and then to murder the Imperial Governor and his daughter. Impressed by Alex's abilities, Jaalib spares her, but still tries to blow up Tork Winger. He succeeds, and Alex finds him either dead or severely wounded. Jaalib then assists her in summoning the dark Side to revive her father and bring him back. To her, it was a small price to pay. Jaalib then vanishes into the shadows, never to heard from in *official* continuity again.

16. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    Hum... So the Wingers have Force powers, too... Hum... Hum... There's definitely too much (potential) Jedi in those stories for the timeframe, no ? The stories are great, but they don't really seem to fit in, do they ?

17. Ana Vitorrian

Mar 2, 1999
    I'm not going to debate the timeline placement of EUK. It's been done over and over and over. I'll agree to disagree. I placed it by tracking both the age of Alexandra Winger and Jaalib Brandl - those two characters cross paths in Betrayal By Knight. There's more than 10 short stories between them.

Also, Patty has published SW Fan Fiction before and it hasn't hurt her future LFL efforts. Her short story "Of Broken Pawns" can be placed into the "Brandl" family of stories. It's a tale of Bane Werth, who makes appearances in both "Betrayal By Knight" and the recently internet posted story everyone here is talking about. (Don't know what site had it before, that was a long, long time ago).

18. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Well, that's nice to know. Hopefully she can get another story published officially soon.

19. The Cat

Mar 24, 2000
    Amen to that. She's one of the best SW authors out there. The best, I think.

20. Aldaric_Brandl

Aldaric_Brandl Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 31, 2000
    The Brandl's have what we should see more of in SW. Moral ambiguity. They demonstrate that there IS a "Grey Side" to the Force.
    Alas, in my nick I spelt his name wrongly.

Curse you, curse you tequila shot!!

21. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    Ah... Finally I know why I can't help saying 'Aldaric'... It's your fault !!! ;)

22. Aldaric_Brandl

Aldaric_Brandl Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 31, 2000
    <hysteria>
    See! See the Evil I have wrought!! I...I live my life in a Force 3 wind localised in a low pressure area caused by countervailing current flow in the North Atlantic, heavy rain for most of the week with a possible warmer spell starting on Saturday. Back to Bob with the Sports news.
    </hysteria>

23. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    I finished the book, and I just want to say something about the short story 'The Last Hand'. A young farmboy gets a lightsaber with the help of a scoundrel who'll finally help him become a Jedi with the help of the spirit of a deceased Jedi Knight. How original.

Back to the topic.

I reiterate my question one more time : Why are there so many Jedi at the time most of those short stories happen ??? (5BBY - 9ABY) I'd really like input on that one. Please. Pleaaaaaaasssssseeeeeee !!!

24. Sticks

Sticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 27, 2001
    Just wanted to mention that I loved UEK, despite its ambiguous timeframe and rather patchy story. Patricia A. Jackson is da bomb.

And thanks, whoever said it, for mentioning the online story she wrote. I'm about to go read it now.

25. The Cat

Mar 24, 2000
    Remember, Xizor, that there's no limit to the number of Dark Siders in the Rebellion Era. As for the Light Siders, I'm of the school that says Luke was the only Jedi at the time of RotJ, like Yoda said. Everyone else, it seems, fell away. For example, take Empayojatos (sp?) Brand of Dark Empire fame. He was the king, by birth (see Yoda's TOS databank entry) of Ganathos, and after Vader sliced him up, he fled there and reclaimed the throne. He was still on the lightside, he still had Force ability, but he got distracted by other pursuits. Of all these young, upstart Jedi we hear about, only Luke went on to become a Jedi Knight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.