main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

UK Airspace Closed

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by LAJ_FETT , Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    BBC Story

So volcanic ash has closed UK airspace, and the BBC just said the earliest it will reopen is 6am tomorrow. I think this is the first time it's happened since I've lived here. Even after 9/11 some flights were going - just not to the US. I live about 5 miles from Heathrow so planes are a daily affair. I was sitting out in the sunshine (what there was) and it was eerily quiet.

Did you notice? Were you hoping to fly somewhere today? Or are you trying to get back to the UK today?

2. emilsson

emilsson Force Ghost star 6

Oct 5, 1998
    I went to Heathrow this morning to pick up my dad and his wife. Their flight arrived on time, but according to the information I got on the way there domestic flights were cancelled and international flights were delayed.

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    They are lucky that they got in before the closure. BBC News is saying now that nothing will fly before 7am tomorrow, and there will be an update on that tonight at 8pm.

4. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Nature rules :cool:

But so far I've yet to see any of this vast dust cloud.

5. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    So no flights out of the southern UK til at least 1am tomorrow. I'm really glad I wasn't flying anywhere or trying to get back. News said some flights might go in Scotland or Northern Ireland if the dust cloud allows. I haven't seen anything here either - we have clouds but they are normal ones. However I saw on the BBC News site that some people in northern Scotland have reported seeing dust and smelling sulphur. Lots of European airports are shut or planning on shutting as well.

Winners in this one are sure to be the trains and ferries. Eurostar was reporting that they are pretty much fully booked for today and Virgin were putting on extra train cars and lengthening routes to handle traffic to Scotland.

We'd better hope it doesn't rain. If the dust comes down in the rain it will be a pain in the butt to remove from cars, etc.

6. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    We could be affected like this for about a year, if what I've heard is true. I'm hoping not as I was planning to go to Italy in the summer.

7. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Closure has been extended to 7am tomorrow in England and Wales. BBC says some flights might go in Scotland and N. Ireland this evening after 7pm.

At this rate it will take at least a week for things to approach normality. I remember how long thigs were fouled up after 9/11, and that was just flights to the US.

8. emilsson

Oct 5, 1998
    I just read that British Airways has cancelled their flights from and to London tomorrow. My dad is getting a bit worried if he and his wife will be able to fly back to Sweden on Monday.

9. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    It doesn't sound promising from what I've heard on the news today. UK airspace is closed until at least 1am tomorrow now and an expert on BBC news said the eruption is getting worse instead of better. If they need to get back urgently they might want to see if there's any way to get there via train and ferry.
    Even if flights started again tomorrow there will still be lots of delays. After 9/11 when flights finally started to the US again the people who were backlogged got priority. So I'm pretty sure your dad won't be flying.

10. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    No flights til 7am tomorrow as of now, but BA has already cancelled all short haul flights for tomorrow. Emillson - just a thought. If your dad and his wife have to get back for work, do either of them work for a company with a UK office? If so, maybe they could arrange to work from there if they can't get back.

11. emilsson

Oct 5, 1998
    Dad runs his own company and his wife is retired. I think dad is looking into authorising my brother to run things in the meantime. I think they will have to stay in the UK for a few days longer and the greatest problem will be to sort out accomodation (my place is too small).

12. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    That might be a problem. Everything near an airport will be booked up. If you don't live near Heathrow or Gatwick you might get lucky though. Maybe a bed & breakfast?

13. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Well, our friend the ash cloud is back with airports in NI shut today. BBC News is saying it might spread to the Heathrow/Gatwick area tomorrow and Tuesday. Between that and the BA strike still scheduled for Tuesday there will be quite a few upset travellers, I'm sure.
    Anyone scheduled to fly over the next few days?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.