UK FF / Fan Force Brittish Isles // FFUK Clearance thread. - Rox & Admins please read.

Discussion in 'FanForce Communications' started by toochilled, Aug 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toochilled Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Hey there,

I would just like to say that at the British Isles Fan Force we proud ourselves on being both family friendly and culturally diverse.

It is in that spirit that we ask for your advice on a number of issues.

Issue 1 - The Icon.

Well - we are creating a new icon and would appreciate some guidelines. For instance, we have had this icon suggested: [image=http://www.toochilled.com/george.jpg] However some have said that it may be construed as a gay icon. now, whilst we have no problem with a gay Icon, especially Az and DA6 it must be said :p, we thought it best to double chack that a gay icon passes for 'family friendly'. For all we know it might be regarded as vulgar (!) by the administration.

Issue 2 - The Banner

A banner is also in production and we would like to ask if there are any guidelines on this? For example;
    *Is there a set size?
    *How often can we change it?
    *Does it have to reference SW characters / scenes?
    *Can we include such british icons as Chriss Evans, Danny Baker and Micheal Barrymore. If not, presumably because they may not be family friendly enough, who do we ask for permission on a case by base basis?
    *Can we include established Indian/British influences, such as the iconic Amadar Batchin (sp?)?
    *Are religious references allowed?

Issue 3 - General rules

Is there a set of general posting rules we can abide by - I mean, for example, would a user names relating to the UK term for crack cocaine (Rox) be allowed?
  2. UK Sullustian Force Ghost

star 4

Please, agree with TC.

Do not deny us GEORGE!

UKS
  3. paparazziboy Jedi Knight

toochilled, you have made a valid point. I too would like clarification.
  4. Darth_Asabrush Force Ghost

star 5
    If George was good enough for me when I was growing up it's good enough for this place IMHO!

Gay or not George and the rest of the Rainbow gang ie: Zippy, Bungle, Geofrey, Rod, Jane & Freddie were a major part of my pre-teen years!!!!

5. citizen-tom Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    yes, ofcourse.... ROX is an extremely inappropriate username for a family-friendly forum, especially for that of an administrator whom is supposed to set the example. I say that they should be forced to take down that username and get to work on a new one immeadiately... [face_plain]
  6. Darth_Asabrush Force Ghost

star 5
    Now now, we must accept that there are differences in our "cultural" language even though we share the same spoken word!

A brief answer to tc's questions should clear this all up and we could get on with rebuilding FF-UK.

Bring on the Rainbow Crew!!!!!
  7. Rox Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    You have no complaints from me on the icon. Looks good. As for the banner image sizes got to this thread.

http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=7562110&replies=7
  8. Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA

star 6
    Icon: I have no problems with the icon above. If people are bound and determined to find "gay" references in the icon, that's their problem. (I assume he's a television character -- I never saw the show)

Banner: Banners are generally 764 pixels wide and 110 pixels high. You can make it taller/shorter if you want, but 110 pixels seems to be about the right height, proportionately. And you can make it less than 764 pixels wide if you want (the background image fills in the rest, all the way to the right side of the screen). I wouldn't make it wider than 764 pixels, because it will force people with monitors set at 800 X 600 resolution to have to scroll right and left on every thread in your forum.

You can change it whenever you get tired of it. The easiest way to do this is to host the images yourself and swap them out as needed (keeping the same image URLs for each image). Otherwise, you'll have to wait for someone with FTP access to change the images.

It should have some reference to Star Wars (after all, this is a Star Wars fan site), but doesn't need to be exclusively SW. I have no idea who the people are that you mentioned as being possible additions to the banner, so I won't approve/deny any of them without more info. And I'd recommend keeping religious references to a minimum, since it tends to be divisive in a group of any size.

General Rules: There is a link to the Terms of Service above the "Post" button. As for "Rox" (we have that term in the United States, as well), rest assured that he will be demoted immediately following his first conviction for selling illegal narcotics. :p
  9. Darth_Asabrush Force Ghost

star 5
    OK, I think thats that!

The questions have been answered, we have our "Rainbow" icon.

Now, FF-UKers lets get on with the new banner!
  10. Charis Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Hiya DA, don't be so certain. Bagpuss is making a push for the prize :D Cats rule!
  11. LadyVader81 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    lol

[image=http://www.smallfilms.co.uk/bagpuss/bagpuss.jpg]

much cooler than George :p
  12. Darth_Asabrush Force Ghost

star 5
    I've seen the Bagpuss icon and love it! But the question is: Is it better than the George icon?

I think not my friend!
  13. Charis Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Ahh, that's cos he isn't getting a fair deal. George is against a nice white background. Bagpuss is being shown against the Union Jack colours and just blends right in there instead of shining like the incredible icon he truly is :D
  14. Darth_Asabrush Force Ghost

star 5
    Life isn't fair Charis! ;) Bagpuss will have to live with it! :D
  15. UK Sullustian Force Ghost

star 4
    [image=http://www.bleechonline.net/UKS/choices.jpg]

Any of the Above.

I prefer George, which was the only one I didn't do!

UKS
  16. Darth_Asabrush Force Ghost

star 5
    I like George! However, the Morph icon is good but it could do with maybe having a thin white border around "BIFF".

The flag behind Danger Mouse could be adapted as well (IMHO).

However, I like them all!
  17. Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA•

star 6
    I know my opinion doesn't count, but if you guys pick Danger Mouse, then I'll shall have to consider becoming a dues paying FF UK member. DM rules!
  18. LadyVader81 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    See someone with taste!

Down with George and bring on Danger Mouse!
  19. toochilled Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Can we have all six????

I love danger mouse but morph is rather funky all the same. :)
  20. UK Sullustian Force Ghost

star 4
    A hundred threads...! Aggghhhh!

Morph is now updated with a white line round the font.

This is shown in the "choices" jpeg and Here.

[image=http://www.bleechonline.net/UKS/morph2.jpg]

Propogate to the other threads as I am too lazy.
  21. Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA

star 6
    I'd have to agree with Seb's endorsement of Danger Mouse. Brings back memories of Nickelodeon cartoons...
  22. Charis Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Have to admit, the DM looks cool - very very British too ;)

23. UK Sullustian Force Ghost

star 4
    Two more Dangermouses if that is what is required.

[image=http://www.bleechonline.net/UKS/dangermouse2.jpg]

[image=http://www.bleechonline.net/UKS/dangermouse4.jpg]

I'll drop these into the "George Thread"

UKS
  24. Darth_Asabrush Force Ghost

star 5
    DM is looking stronger by the minute!

But who to vote for? The internationally recognised secret agent mouse? Or the Morph? And where does George fit in to things now?

25. LadyVader81 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Danger Mouse now has my vote.....it's so typically British which is what we need :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.