main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wash, DC Ukrops Annual Christmas Parade, December 1, 2007 in Richmond

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Shivann_D, Jun 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shivann_D

Shivann_D Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 28, 2006
    Hello from Richmond....I have spoken with Rick from Rebel Legion Freedom Base and have kind of been put in charge of getting together persons interested in committing to marching in the Annual Christmas Parade on December 1st here in Richmond, Virginia for the Rebel Legion.
    I know that there are a lot of 501st in the area and that the 501st will be marching in the parade, but I am putting it out there for anyone with a rebel costume that is Rebel Legion canon.
    The Parade will depart from the Science Museum on West Broad Street and continue East until ending on Seventh Street. Last year's holiday event attracted more than 250,000 spectators from all over Virginia, with thousands more watching a live television broadcast. It is the largest single day event of the year in Virginia. This year's Parade will have huge high-flying balloons, elaborate floats, star spangled marching bands and as always, SANTA CLAUS!
    The route is about 2 miles in length down the main thoroughfare in Richmond
    This past year, the 501st marched in the parade with members of Garrison Tyrannus. Alan of the 501st has mentioned that he would enjoy marching with us this time around.
    The cost of marching is $150 for a non profit organization. I would like to get AT LEAST 10 persons to commit to marching in costume. If we can get Jedi, Pilots, RFTs, etc. and any face characters involved it would phenominal and the cost per person would only be about $15. If we get more than 10 then the cost would go down.
    This parade is sort of like Richmond's version of the Rose Bowl Parade in California. The Parade is broadcast LIVE on WTVR-TV 6 of Richmond, a CBS affiliate on the day of the parade and rebroadcast on Christmas day. The Parade may also be broadcast with CBS affiliates in the Hampton and Roanoke areas. I was at the front of the parade route last year with my family in the stands, and the 501st got a huge group of ooohhs and ahhhs when they came out. There is a lot of media coverage.

So what does everyone think? I know that I have at least 3-4 definites at this point and we have until the end of September to get the application in, but I have been in contact with the organization in charge of the event, and they would like to get names and photos of persons who would be participating, so that they can see some of the costumes.
    I am also trying to locate a banner that we can carry showing who we are. If anyone knows where we can find such a Rebel Legion banner that would greatly help.
    Here is the link to the parade info and pics from the past ones:
    http://www.richmondchristmasparade.org/parade.xhtml

Lets get thoughts on this and I really hope that we can pull this off. Thanks in advance
    Joel
    PS: you can also check out the thread on the Rebel Legion site under forums and then under Freedom Base. You can reply with your thoughts and commitments there. Thanks

Locked at CR's request

2. Cinnea

Cinnea Retired FanForce CR, Washington DC star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    I'm not sure how many Rebel Legion folks check in here, but marching in a parade is always fun! Thanks for the invite and info.

3. Shivann_D

Aug 28, 2006
    I am requesting that even though I have posted this on the FanForce board, that all costumes for marching for the Rebel Legion, be Rebel Legion approved canon costumes. Thanks

4. BurntTheMacaroni

BurntTheMacaroni Jedi Knight star 3

May 16, 2005
    There is a reason i did not post this over here, and it's because this is a Rebel Legion or 501st only event... And if there are any fanforce members in the Rebel Legion, then they'd more than likely know about the event.

5. Shivann_D

Aug 28, 2006
    No problem....I just thought that cross posting would be a good idea. I have tried to emphasize that the only way to march in the parade it to be a Rebel Legion costuming member or 501st. We will not accept just anyone to march who just goes out and does the Toysrus or Party City special for their costumes.
    I will try to keep the posts to the Legion site

6. BurntTheMacaroni

BurntTheMacaroni Jedi Knight star 3

May 16, 2005
    Or, you could let Rick and Myself invite groups to events such as this...

7. Cinnea

Cinnea Retired FanForce CR, Washington DC star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    Ok, I'm getting this thread taken care of since it's really not going anywhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.