main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL Ultarama, baby. U-L-T-A-R-A-M-A!

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by JediJeff13, Dec 7, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediJeff13

JediJeff13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Okay.....finally got the chance to get a little work done on this baby. Three of 4 scenes together - a start. Did I mention this thing is HUGE!!!! Damn. But I realized of all the figs I had at my desk....er....I need more. :)

Okay......if you want to see a few pics on a lame web page, go to http://www.geocities.com/skidmo13/ultarama.html

And any comments are welcome. So are any figs I can add to it! :)

Oh....FYI: The backgrounds are all changed. If you did visit the Ultarama site, you get four standard backgrounds. Nope....not good enough for moi. So, with a little searching at www.swma.net, I found some great, great pics. Check out that site - nice 3D work by some very talented artists.

2. Stardreamer

Stardreamer Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 26, 2000
    Okay, Jeff... I emailed you the link to this comic, but figured it couldn't hurt to post directions here as well. ;)

Go to http://www.userfriendly.org and click the "Cartoon Archive" link in the menu on the left-hand side. Start with the strip for Dec. 5... this week it's all about people with action figures at their work desks. So fitting for this topic. :D

Thom

3. jedigal

jedigal Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2000
    ohmigo&, Stardreamer, those comics are hilarious!!!!!! I laughed so loud I was afraid my dad, asleep sawing logs in his room in the basement, would hear me and wake up! They are great.

The greatest thing about them, of course, is that they remind me of myself. For anyone who doesn't know, I'm a legal secretary for my YOUNGER sister, who, obviously, is an attorney. It's a very nice firm, casual FOR A LAW FIRM, in an upscale St. Louis 'burb. Both my sister and myself have various toys in her office, at my cube.

Right now the highlight of my sister's decorations is a little Christmas tree on her desk about 6" tall. Instead of angel or star it is topped with a small frog beanbag. Instead of traditional ornaments it is decorated with colored paperclips. Other toys of hers include a balsa wood glider, a Mr./Mrs. Potato Head from McDonald's Toy Story 2 collection, and a SW Ep1 pit droid.

My collection includes various Tiggers (as in Winnie-the-Pooh) and the 12" poseable Return of the Jedi Luke Skywalker, which has the black Jedi onepiece, one black-gloved hand, and comes complete with both a large bone leftover from one of the rancor's previous meals and of course a lightsaber.

So when I laugh at those 'toons, I'm definitely laughing WITH, not AT them.

JJeff, those backgrounds are KICK BUTT! They look awesome.

I especially like the Naboo hangar, and the hangar with the Rebels. What is great about the way they look, at least judging from the pics you've got up, is that they seem to flow seamlessly into the 3D figure scenes. Very good setups! Also on these two pics, the size, or zoom, or SCALE, that's it, the scale of the background pics seems to match the scale of the figures perfectly. I'm very impressed. Totally Cool.

Oh, BTW, I believe you keep leaving an "R" out of Ult( )arama.
    ;)

4. jedigal

jedigal Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2000
    Well, I thought since I complimented the backgrounds of two scenes, I might give a little "constructive" criticism on the third.

The scene for the Imperial pic is great. The reason I don't think the scale seems to match is that the shuttle is pretty close in the foreground of the pic, seems to be pretty close to where Vader is standing, yet Vader towers over it. Maybe you could either zoom in further, making the shuttle appear larger (and losing resolution, I realize that may not be possible) or recrop the pic if it's a portion of a larger pic, leaving more deckspace in front of the shuttle, thus making it appear more distant.

I realize the challenges of working with images in this way, and hope you haven't spent SO much time creating them that you are tempted to beat me with a stick b/c of my input. "Please, Yoda, not ANOTHER ROCK too! All right, I'll give it a try. Yes, Master Yoda, there is not try. Whatever. ::under breath "creepy little midget"::

5. JediLars

JediLars Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 27, 2000
    Hey JJ, I'm jealous! Looks like I need to add one of those on my Christmas list. So I can display some of my figures that are still in the cases. Also wanted to let you know that I finally finished building the shelves that wrap around my office for the figures in the packages. Man it looks cooooool. But I am about out of space and will need to build another shelf or something. I wished I had a scaner that I could take a picture of this creation of mine. I think you all would enjoy it.

Jedilars

6. JediJeff13

JediJeff13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Good ones, Dreamer!!!!

But they are NOT true!!! I do NOT play with them all day. I have to eat. :)

7. JediLars

JediLars Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 27, 2000
    Great comic strips!! How true it is! People just understand us who have toys on our desk at work.

Jedilars

8. Stardreamer

Stardreamer Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 26, 2000
    Right now my desk at work is festooned with the MicroMachine figures, those little guys that come nine to a pack... I got numerous assortments from TRU awhile back, $.97 each.

Right now, I have a band of Rebel Fleet Troopers on one side of my desk, and several Stormtroopers on the other side with a few Imperial Officers and Imperial Naval Troopers mixed in there. I also have one of the Classic Character collections on top of my monitor. (I say "one of" because apparently they made the figurines in two styles, and I ended up with one of each)

Everyone loves 'em so far. :D

As for User Friendly... look through the archives, it's a funny strip and they have more than a few SW references sprinkled throughout.

Thom
    "Sith Lords should NOT have to deal with water balloons!"
    "But havink wet shirt now. Can be revealink self to Jedi."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.