main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge [Ultimate Drabble Challenge] UDC5 is OFF THE AIR! -- Time to gear up for UDC 6?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Salacious_Drabb, May 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Salacious_Drabb

Salacious_Drabb Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 24, 2007
  2. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
  3. Maggy

Maggy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 2, 2004
    Glimpses is now featuring the last set and therefore the challenge is complete :cool:

w00t managed it on time 8-}

4. CherryLightsaber

CherryLightsaber Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 16, 2005
    And "Chains" is done with Weeks 18, 19, and 20.

5. Alley_Skywalker

Alley_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2005
    Week 10 is now up!

Some of these words are SUPER hard to fit in with my fandom [face_worried]

EDIT: Week 11 is up!

6. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Should be getting Set XX done soon... I know exactly what I want to write, I just haven't had the time to write 500 words yet. :p 8-}

And I've enjoyed this so much, I'm considering going on to do the UDC4 after I'm done Set XX, since I want more drabbles and this was my first UDC ever... :p [face_laugh]

EDIT:

Coincidentally, I reached my 10,000th post with the posting of Perhaps It's Elementary, Week 20. :D

7. Salacious_Drabb

Sep 24, 2007
  8. Storms_Legacy

Storms_Legacy Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 29, 2007
    Tales From Sherwood Weeks 19 & 20 are up.

Gotta say, I love the challenge this presented for me. It was a blast to participate in, that's for sure.

And now I just need to finish my Starkiller drabbles for this, too.. After my history exam, that is...

9. Salacious_Drabb

Sep 24, 2007
  10. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    Week 20 is up. And I'm done!

Thanks for hosting the challenge, Salacious_Drabb! It's been challenging, but I'm glad I did it.

11. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    I've started working on UDC4, if anyone is interested. :p

I was wondering, Salacious_Drabb, if you would be able to tell us which TV shows/films(?) originated each set of prompts? I recognized the ones from Doctor Who, Lost, Get Smart, Justice League, Iron Chef, DuckTales, Firefly, 24, Star Trek, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but I'm at a loss with the others and I'd really like to satisfy my curiosity. :p

12. Salacious_Drabb

Sep 24, 2007
    Sure, no problem. The themes were...

Week 1: Doctor Who
    Week 2: Lost
    Week 3: Farscape
    Week 4: Get Smart
    Week 5: Justice League
    Week 6: None (DVD Set)
    Week 7: Iron Chef
    Week 8: DuckTales
    Week 9: Murder, She Wrote
    Week 10: Firefly
    Week 11: The Office
    Week 12: 24
    Week 13: Star Trek: The Next Generation
    Week 14: Psych
    Week 15: None (DVD Set)
    Week 16: Dungeons & Dragons
    Week 17: South Park
    Week 18: The Avengers
    Week 19: The Muppet Show
    Week 20: Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Up until about a week before posting, Week 19's was The Late, Late Show with Craig Ferguson, with "Puppets" being the only prompt that wouldn't fit in with any other talk show. So I kept that and "Guests" and changed the other three. As I mentioned at the time, the TNG prompts were originally set for Week 4, but I realized I'd front-loaded too much SF, so I swapped them around. There are a few other sets where I changed a word prior to posting (for example, the Firefly set originally had "Shepherd" instead of "Mercenary," but that was right after the blow-up, so I changed it), but nothing major.

13. Alley_Skywalker

Sep 27, 2005
  14. Salacious_Drabb

Sep 24, 2007
    I was going to post my thoughts on the challenge today, but I'm going to hold off a bit on that and open up the floor to all of you first. Please be gentle. In the meantime, I'll begin composing the list of Grand Champions and Champions this week. If you finish the challenge at any point, then you are a Champion, my friend. Grand Champions are those who get through it within twenty weeks.

15. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Grand Champions are those who get through it within twenty weeks.

What about those of us who finished in four weeks? :p 8-}

Nah, I'm just being silly. I guess what I'm asking is whether or not we qualify for Grand Champion if (a) we finished on time but (b) started the challenge late, and so therefore didn't (c) technically participate for twenty weeks. :)

16. Salacious_Drabb

Sep 24, 2007
    Anyone already done is obviously a Grand Champion. Those who started late will get twenty weeks from then. If you get it done in well under the twenty weeks, great, but there's no title higher than Grand Champion. That's it.

17. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Oh, darn it. :p 8-} And here I had my hopes up... :p

(Just kidding)

I am looking forward to everyone's thoughts on the challenge. Personally, I had a ton of fun, I love writing drabbles now and I think can develop my drabble-writing skills further. It's been a great opportunity to really concentrate on slimming down my writing, since given the chance, I usually just write and write and write and having the word limit made things both easier and a lot harder in different ways. :) Which was a good thing! :D

18. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    I loved this challenge and could write a chronology for my healers with them. Please more drabbles. They are great to write on mondays after a begin of the week at work.
    And loved the themes. They all fitted wonderfully=D=:)

19. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    Overall, I liked the challenge. It was a great way to start the week. The only complaint I have is that a small handful of prompts were too restrictive with particular fandoms. I enjoyed participating and would do it again.

20. Tarsier

Jul 31, 2005
    I think of myself as generally writing fairly concisely, which is not always a good thing, but I thought I would be pretty good at drabbles. I wasn't. I felt like I was really hit or miss - some sets came easily and sounded pretty good. Others I rewrote 17 times and they were still terrible, I thought I really shouldn't post these, but I did only because I was eager to move on. As for the prompts, some were of course easier than others. For the hard ones, sometimes they led to crummy drabbles because I just couldn't come up with much, but sometimes they led to something really cool I would never have thought of otherwise.

I think it was a good challenge, it pushed me as a writer and led to some interesting ideas for stories (some posted, some not). I might participate again, but probably not for a while.

21. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    This challenge always has, and always will be a great heap of fun. [face_love]

Speaking of - I'm still trudging away with Week Seventeen here. [face_whistling]

[:D]

~MJ @};-

22. Alley_Skywalker

Sep 27, 2005
  23. Tarsier

Jul 31, 2005
    Yay, the Grand Champion list is up! :D So when are we going to get to hear your thoughts, Salacious_Drabb?

24. dancing_star

dancing_star Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2007
    I've decided to give this a try. [face_dancing] Better late than never. :p

The Ties that Bind

This week features Han and Luke. Reviews are welcome and appreciated! [face_batting]

25. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.