main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge [Ultimate Drabble Challenge] UDC5 is OFF THE AIR! -- Time to gear up for UDC 6?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Salacious_Drabb, May 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    My Weeks 9 and 10 are up. Callista and company for the first set, an OC for the second.

2. Salacious_Drabb

Salacious_Drabb Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 24, 2007
    Of course plays on words can count. They always could. And even if you don't go that far, definitions (some colloquial, but that's fine) include lift, steal, nothing, and an electrical connector, which anyone could easily do something with. I knew what I was doing when I included it, trust me. [A look at the dictionary will give a bunch more, some of which can still inspire, even if the specific definition doesn't fit.]

And Tarsier's right; the word itself need never appear in the drabble at all.

3. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
  4. darksideyesplease

darksideyesplease Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2005
    So technically I could just write anything and then lie about the inspiration and have it make absolutely no connection but as long as I say it does to me, then it would somehow still be relevant even if it isn't relevant or makes no sense to anyone else. of course I guess anything is relative if you want to it be.

There is Jack right there.

Jack Sparrow

5. Salacious_Drabb

Sep 24, 2007
    That doesn't even remotely follow. Creative use is one thing, but there should still be a thread there for someone who knows where to look. A creative connection isn't remotely the same as no connection.

Look back through this thread a bit, and you'll see I mentioned a particular set I had done for UDC4. I don't know that anyone looked, but I'll go ahead now and do what a magician never should; I'll reveal the trick. I'd picked that set because there were three drabbles that used their themes in obscure ways. [The other two, not obscure at all.] In none of these did the theme word itself ever appear.

First, the theme "Stride." The Fourth Doctor wants Leela to learn the piano, and they mention piano greats Franz Liszt and Fats Waller. How does it connect to the theme? Waller was a master of the jazz piano style known as stride. At the same time, the use clearly isn't arbitrary or an afterthought; the piano, Waller's instrument, is central to the drabble.

Next, the theme "Leap." Urkel's menaced by some leopards. The connection? Guess what the collective noun for leopards is.

Finally, the theme "Fall." Jason Fox declares something to be the biggest scandal since Teapot Dome. As some may remember from American history, the key figure in that scandal was Secretary of the Interior Albert B. Fall.

Now clearly, if this is the sort of thing I've been doing, I'm not going to be tsking people for using other themes in similar ways. On the contrary, if you tell me (again, using Jack and Star Wars as an example), you saw that one of the definitions was a flag ships flew to identify their country of origin (as in the Union Jack), figured that corresponded to starships' transponder codes, and wrote about a smuggler altering his codes to hide his ship's home planet, I'm more likely to scream, "Yeah! That's what I'm talkin' about!" and maybe woot a bit.

EDIT: Except probably not now, since I've given you that one. I'll still be happy, but in a more muted way. :)

6. darksideyesplease

darksideyesplease Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2005
    I was just being silly but thanks for the clarification for those who are actually participating. Didn't mean to derail the thread or anything [face_peace]

7. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
  8. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
  9. Salacious_Drabb

Sep 24, 2007
    I originally had this set a lot earlier, until I realized that the first few weeks were all SF-heavy.

Challenge Set Thirteen:
    61. Enterprise
    62. Galaxy
    63. Federation
    64. Next
    65. Generation

10. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    No Star Trek but Star Wars with the start of the Clone Wars for my healers and a very stubborn patient.

Jedi healers week 13

11. FelsGoddess

Sep 5, 2004
  12. Storms_Legacy

Storms_Legacy Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 29, 2007
  13. Maggy

Maggy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 2, 2004
  14. Maggy

Oct 2, 2004
  15. Maggy

Oct 2, 2004
  16. Tarsier

Jul 31, 2005
    My Week 11 is up. Sticking with my OC for another week.

17. Salacious_Drabb

Sep 24, 2007
    Challenge Set Fourteen:
    66. Psychic
    67. Detective
    68. Fraud
    69. Awareness
    70. Pharmaceutical

18. FelsGoddess

Sep 5, 2004
  19. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
  20. Tarsier

Jul 31, 2005
    Weeks 12 and 13. I'm caught up! Sort of. Set 14 may take me a while...

21. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
  22. Storms_Legacy

Jan 29, 2007
  23. Storms_Legacy

Jan 29, 2007
  24. Alley_Skywalker

Alley_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2005