main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Ultimate Drabble Challenge VI: The Ultimating! (Now playing: Week Twenty: The End!)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Salacious_Drabb, May 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Salacious_Drabb

Salacious_Drabb Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 24, 2007

In a world where writers found themselves limited to a hundred words, a hardy few rose to the challenge to become... DRABBLERS!

Now playing, in a message board near you, it's Ultimate Drabble Challenge VI: The Ultimating!

For those who've participated before, it's all the same as you remember. For those who're new to the UDC, it's not complicated.

1. A drabble is a self-contained work of exactly one hundred words, not counting the title. ["Self-contained" doesn't necessarily mean that a drabble must be its own complete three-act story, just that, if seen without context, it can stand on its own as something. It can be a scene, a vignette, a joke, a teaser, a whatever.]

2. Create a single thread to contain your drabbles. If you're responding in Star Wars, put the thread in the era most likely to be relevant for the highest number of drabbles. If you're responding in a non-SW fandom (or multiple non-SW fandoms), then put it on the non-SW board.

3. Each week for twenty weeks, a set of five theme words will be posted to this thread. Write one drabble to correspond to each of the themes (five drabbles total). Creative use of the themes is encouraged and appreciated. [The theme word itself does not ever need to appear in the drabble.] The drabbles do not need to be linked to each other. As always, all board rules continue to apply.

4. Once you've written the five drabbles, post them to your thread in a single post. If you complete your challenge, your thread will have twenty content posts of five drabbles each.

5. There is no deadline for completing the challenge. If you finish within twenty weeks, wonderful! If it takes you longer, that's fine. If you start late, no problem.

6. ???

7. Profit!

The earlier UDCs:
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/fan_fiction_resource/b10304/24319852]Ultimate Drabble Challenge: Like Little Fanfiction McNuggets[/link]
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/fan_fiction_resource/b10304/27512408]Ultimate Drabble Challenge: So Nice, We Did it Twice[/link]
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/fan_fiction_resource/b10304/29080673]Ultimate Drabble Challenge: The Third Time's the Charm[/link]
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/fan_fiction_resource/b10304/29939860]Ultimate Drabble Challenge: The Fourth, All Fandom Friendly Drabble Challenge[/link]
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/fan_fiction_resource/b10304/30936933]Ultimate Drabble Challenge: UDC 5 is ON THE AIR![/link]

[/color]

2. Salacious_Drabb

Sep 24, 2007
    NOW PLAYING!

Theater One: Scene 1, Take 1!

1. Lights!
    2. Camera!
    3. Action!
    4. Roll!
    5. Shoot!

Theater Two: Genre No!

6. Adventure
    7. Romance
    8. Science
    9. Fiction
    10. Comedy

Theater Three: Simply the Best!

11. Wings
    12. Unforgiven
    13. Rocky
    14. Titanic
    15. Crash

Theater Four: Would You Like to Play a Game?!

16. Clue
    17. Operation
    18. Life
    19. Sorry
    20. Risk

Theater Five: No One Under 65 Admitted!

21. Rated
    22. Guidance
    23. Suggested
    24. Caution
    25. Restricted

Theater Six: Adult Themes!

26. Sex
    27. Graphic
    28. Violence
    29. Language
    30. Drugs

Theater Seven: It's Not a Remake, It's a Reimagining!

31. One theme from UDC 1.
    32. One theme from UDC 2.
    33. One theme from UDC 3.
    34. One theme from UDC 4.
    35. One theme from UDC 5.

Theater Eight: In 3D!

36. Cube
    37. Sphere
    38. Cone
    39. Cylinder
    40. Pyramid

Week Nine: Answer Me!

41. Who?
    42. What?
    43. When?
    44. Where?
    45. Why?

Week Ten: Before the Of!

46. Return
    47. Revenge
    48. Curse
    49. Wrath
    50. Attack

Week Eleven: After the Of!

51. Death
    52. Doom
    53. Terror
    54. Peril
    55. Shadow

Week Twelve: The X Factors!

56. Prime
    57. Composite
    58. Deficient
    59. Perfect
    60. Abundant

Week Thirteen: Pixar!

61. Toys
    62. Bugs
    63. Monsters
    64. Heroes
    65. Rats

Theater Fouteen: It's a Reimagined Reboot!

66. One theme from UDC 1.
    67. One theme from UDC 2.
    68. One theme from UDC 3.
    69. One theme from UDC 4.
    70. One theme from UDC 5.

Week Fifteen: Five Little Deadlies!

71. Avarice
    72. Envy
    73. Gluttony
    74. Lust
    75. Pride

Week Sixteen: Onomatopoeia!

76. Pow!
    77. Bang!
    78. Boom!
    79. Zap!
    80. Pop!

Week Seventeen: It's an Honor Just to Be Nominated!

81. Inception
    82. Babe
    83. Network
    84. Avatar
    85. Traffic

Week Eighteen: Tale of the Creators!

86. Direct
    87. Produce
    88. Perform
    89. Edit
    90. Distribute

Week Nineteen: Happy Autumn!

91. Spring
    92. Summer
    93. Winter
    94. Season
    95. Change

Week Twenty: The End!

96. Cut
    97. Wrap
    98. Done
    99. Over
    100. Finish

3. Salacious_Drabb

Sep 24, 2007
  4. Salacious_Drabb

Sep 24, 2007
  5. Salacious_Drabb

Sep 24, 2007
  6. Salacious_Drabb

Sep 24, 2007

A couple production notes:

Last time, there were complaints about the challenge, and the biggest one was based on a different understanding of the nature of the challenge itself. This is not about creating a single 500-word story every week or a 10,000-word one over the course of twenty weeks. It's about creating a hundred separate pieces that can stand on their own. Toward that end, the diversity of themes between (and sometimes within) sets is entirely intentional.

Slightly more generally, some writers like to plan ahead what they want to do, and the themes that come up may not cooperate with those plans. That doesn't mean the set is bad or that I've done something wrong. Part of the challenge is flexibility; it's about coming up with ideas inspired by the themes, not about trying to shoehorn the themes into an existing framework.

This last note is prefaced with the Ballad of Jack. In the last challenge, one theme that caused immediate wailing, gnashing of teeth, rending of clothing, and general angst - or at least a few complaints - was "Jack." People didn't know what they could possibly do with such a narrow and specific theme. This surprised me. This is its dictionary entry, and this is its Wikipedia page. Jack was easily one of the most versatile themes in any of the UDCs, and people were upset. For this challenge, if you get a theme you don't know how to use, try looking the word up. Those less-common definitions, the acronyms and brands and artworks, they're all fair game. And if you learn a thing or two along the way, that's one of the best things that can come out of this whole exercise.

7. Salacious_Drabb

Sep 24, 2007

Now Playing: Scene 1, Take 1!

1. Lights!
    2. Camera!
    3. Action!
    4. Roll!
    5. Shoot!

8. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Hello!

Am I able to participate in this challenge if I completed 1-4, but not 5?

9. Salacious_Drabb

Sep 24, 2007
    You can do it even if you've never done any of the earlier ones. Prior participation has never been a requirement.

10. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
  11. Alley_Skywalker

Alley_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2005
    Oh goodness. looks like I need to finish up that last week of V, decide what fandom I'm doing this time and get going. Won't be able to start till May's over though most likely :/

My struggle with the promps last time was that because I was doing a fandom set all the way back in early 1800 some of the more...shall we say "futuristic or modern" promps were kind of hard to work with, But I did get through it :)

12. Harpalyce

Harpalyce Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 19, 2010
    You know, I've never really written drabbles before. I might give this a go, perhaps with the characters I'm playing around with for another group project.

13. Salacious_Drabb

Sep 24, 2007
    Oh yeah, none of what I said there was directed at you, Alley. I'm actually really happy that you were able to get through it.

14. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Drabb! Thank-you so much for getting things going again, you were a great host last time, and I am sure that you will be so again! [:D]

And I completely agree with you about the versatility of words. The prompts last time around really made me flex my writing muscles, and looking for odd angles and meanings of words was half of the fun. Please, keep the 'evil' prompts coming. [face_devil] [face_batting]

EDIT: I started my Star Trek replies up here: "every star to move". :)

And a question - will we be getting the prompts on Friday now, rather than Monday? [face_thinking] I kinda like that, with fresh inspiration for the weekend rather than a mad scramble to get them done before new prompts appear. [face_laugh]

~MJ @};-

15. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Bird bits UDC VI

is up and thanks again Drab:) for the great challenge and the first set of prompts.

16. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
  17. Salacious_Drabb

Sep 24, 2007
    Yes, new sets should be coming out on Fridays. Part of the reason for the switch was just impatience, part was to avoid a couple American holidays, and part to get the last set out in September (on the 30th) instead of October.

18. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I agree with Mira; Fridays are nicer because we have the weekend to write and enjoy rather than rushing on the weekend so we're not behind come Monday.

All Kinds of Magic in NSWFF. I guess it's technically multifandom, but they're all set in worlds written by Sharon Shinn.

19. Raphire

Raphire Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2008
    So here's mine! And I definately agree. I like friadays way better!

Love Letters

20. Storms_Legacy

Storms_Legacy Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 29, 2007
    Mine are up - Sanctuary for All, this time in Sanctuary. I may do a second set, too, depending on how things go...

21. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
  22. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    I haven't participated since UDC3, but I figured I would give it a try again.:D Mine is TARDIS Travels and is Doctor Who (obviously).

23. Salacious_Drabb

Sep 24, 2007
    My own drabble thread is now up. Week One is Doctor Who, but the other weeks will be different fandoms.

24. Salacious_Drabb

Sep 24, 2007

Now Playing: Genre No!

6. Adventure
    7. Romance
    8. Science
    9. Fiction
    10. Comedy

25. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001