main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ULTIMATE FAN FILM! Entirly Possible!

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by DarthVader79, Aug 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthVader79

DarthVader79 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2001
    I remember a post a while back about The Ultimate Fan Film, where all the Forum film makers would get together and make the best fan film ever. Although its impossible, its nice to think about.

I thought about this for a while and think its entirly possible. Ive been working on a fan film for over a year now. And I know I wont be able to do the entire thing by my self. If I were to get together a group of post production-ers(?) The result of our combined works will make something spectacular.

Im sure you see where im going with this?

I need video editors, sound editors, rotoscopers, CGI artists, people who mask stuff. So on and so forth.

We could work this out by sending uncompressed cds to each other through the mail.

So. Please. Post here if you are interested.

2. InsolentFury

InsolentFury Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 18, 2002
    not to sound negative but sounds to me like u trying to get everyone else to do all the tedious work for your movie and making YOUR movie the best ever by having the best do everything for. I dont see mutual rewards here...

3. BrentK7

BrentK7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    yea dude, you said you have been working on it for a year, but it looks like all you got done is the filming part.

4. Arfour_Peeseventeen

Arfour_Peeseventeen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    I don't think sending out uncompressed CDs would be fesible, or at the very least, convient. Some files can be larger than 650 MB, especially things like video.

I want to see an ultimate fan film too, but, my comments are basically the same as those above me.

5. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    In all fairness to DarthVader79, filmming the project is half the battle. Lest we not forget all of the pre-production planning and coordination that needs to be done even before a single frame is shot.

So, I don't think it is necessarily fair to say that he has been working on his film for a year and "all" he has done is the filming.

Granted, I am not 100% convinced that an "ultimate" and/or collaberative FanFilm of the suggested magnitude
    would work . . . but it doesn't hurt to dream. ;)

6. Nathan PTH

Nathan PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2000
    Hmm. A project that could be an ultimate story, with a dream team of people like Clay Kronke, Chris Hanel, Kris Newsom, and involvement of people like Kevin Blades, James DeRuvo, Lou "T'Bone" Tambone, Chad Peter, Devon Read, and others . . .

That sounds familiar. ;)

I have to go with what Fury said, though. An "ultimate" fan film would, one would think, require a full-fledged involvement of its "dream team" from day one, including having some of the more well-reknowned fan film writers help on the script, some of the more well-known prop-makers working on props, and so forth, not just gathering people to do all of the film's postproduction once preproduction and filming are complete.

Having people come in and do those things once post has started may help to make a film better, but that's not an "ultimate fan film community fan film," but a "better version of your fan film," which is a vastly different concept.

As to Brent's comment about the year thing, though, a year is nothing in the scope of a fan film. PTH has been in various stages of the process since 1998, and the final filming didn't start until a year or two into it, after all the original footage was discarded. Second Strike, which is just an audio drama, not a film, spent about a year in limbo after the script was written before any alterations for audio or casting for parts was done, then took nearly another year to reach the full-fledged mixing stage that is in progress right now.

For them to have gone from original concept to being done with filming in a year isn't too bad, especially given that DarthVader79 here seems to be, according to his profile, 14 years old.

Now, if you want to take that more "uhm, whatever" tone . . . I'd suggest doing so in regards to an "ultimate fan film" being made by people in their early teens. Now, *that* you can roll your eyes at. ;)

7. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    You do have to give credit that these guys are getting more clever at what they're doing when it comes to asking for help on the last leg of their fan film.

Before it used to be "NEED HELP! FILM MUST BE DONE IN THREE HOURS!"

Now it's "Let's have a contest..." and now this thread. Gotta say, pretty nice ploys.

Transparent as glass, but nice tries.

M. Scott

8. niennumb1

niennumb1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 10, 2001
    It doesn't matter if you have everyone on this board working on one fanfilm, it could still suck! Just because you have a crew of effects people working on your fanfilm doesn't mean it's gonna be the best ever made.

Also think of all of the creative differences everyone will have. I could see this being a real mess.

I do wish you the best, but by no means if every person chips in to this project does a project get to be automatically named ULTIMATE.... I mean... Just call it ultimate like I did with my "FAN" films! :D
    I called mine that as a joke (people know that of course). I think ULTIMATE to me would be like THE BEST fanfilm ever made, and I think that's for the audience to decide ultimately... hehe

9. BrenDerlin

BrenDerlin Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 20, 2001
    Here's a sure-fire way to get other people to do your effects:

Step 1:
    Buy a Mixer Board

Step 2:
    Get 3 other people to interrupt each other while you record it.

Step 3:
    Say something about Fanfilms in there, and call it an online radio show about FanFilms.

Step 4:
    THEN ask someone to do it.

:D

*runs away*

10. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    BRAN DERLIN IS MY HERO!!

M. Scott

11. Nathan PTH

Mar 11, 2000
    Dangit, Bren, are you trying to drag Chris away from working on Second Strike to whup ya? ;)

12. CarlCampbell

CarlCampbell Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 28, 2002
    "people who mask stuff" and "post-producers"? Seems like you have no idea what you're talking about... IMO, an overseas post production team wouldn't be all that effective. Now to sit down with 10+ other CG artists, editors, etc... now thats a dream come true, at least for me....

Carl

13. Oreckel

Oreckel Jedi Master star 3

Jul 18, 2002
    Come on, guys, give him a break. Seriously, put yourself in his shoes. It's not a great feeling to get worked up about a cool idea and get responses telling you that you "have no idea what you're talking about", and being frowned upon becuase you're in your early teens. Let me point you to the "Is this the FanFilms forum?" thread on this page, and the section of the FAQ that explains how to properly critisize.

Vader, while that does seem like a cool idea, I agree that it would be diffuclt. As mentioned earler, a good deal of all the work is in the pre-production. Eg, costumes, set building, camera team, etc. And we wouldn't be able to help you with that.

It does seem like a nice idea, but the cost of the postage plus the cost of all the CD's we'll have to burn could get high pretty fast.

14. DarthZome

DarthZome Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2000
    Or, you could fly us all down and pay for our lodging and stuff. Then, we could help you.

15. darthjoeman

darthjoeman Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2002
    it doesnt necerally have to be his/her film, if every body contributed equal amonts it could be every bodys.(not sayin its entirely possible)

16. Neszis

Neszis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    gee hes such a horrible person for ASKING FOR HELP people. If he had said PLEASE HELP ME everyone would be like DIE DIE DIE so he asked it this way...and everyone still jumps on him.

Like tigers.

~Neszis~

17. Nathan PTH

Mar 11, 2000
    Darthjoeman: Based on what he's asking, yes, it would have to be *his* film. Go back and re-read his first post.

18. Ben-Kushaan_Exile

Ben-Kushaan_Exile Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 29, 2000
    You could say in our film we do it the easy way. 1 person writes, 1 person does cg, 1 person does effects and compositing, although that could change soon. Even though it might take forever to get things done I think if too many people work on 1 thing that different people would do things different and you would have like half a movie have a certain "look" to it and the other half another look. Time consuming damn straight, better in the end? "Time will tell... sooner or later.. time will tell..."

19. DarthVader79

Jun 16, 2001
    No faith...No faith at all. Roll your eyes at that. One day, I will show all of you.

I never said I was done with the filming. In fact, I havent even a full cast yet. Just looking for some damn help.

And thought this would be cool as the first project that the whole board has worked on together.

20. DarthVader79

Jun 16, 2001
    THANKS FOR THE HELP! Kill me for that.

21. Darth_Gehenna

Darth_Gehenna Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2001
    The Ultimate FanFilm would be having all the people from the films in it. It would havea massive 40 minute space battle while another 40 minutes would have a 500 person lightsaber fight. Then like 40 other minutes for something else.

22. DarthVader79

Jun 16, 2001
    You laugh now. But just watch, ill get it done. I just asked for a damn rotoscoper and CG artist and you people start a federal case.

23. Darth_Gehenna

Darth_Gehenna Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Thank you for that wonderful PM. You show great maturity.

/end sarcasm

Plus I never laughed at your thread.

24. Arfour_Peeseventeen

Arfour_Peeseventeen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    Thank you for that wonderful PM. You show great maturity.

[face_plain] I got the same thing from him too. I don't appreciate getting PMs like that.

DarthVader79- I didn't mean to offend you. I was just giving my input and my opinion.

25. Nathan PTH

Mar 11, 2000
    Gehena: He PMed you, too? Damn, I'm not special anymore.

Shall we return the maturity with a nice big ::pfft::?

"I never said I was done with the filming. In fact, I havent even a full cast yet. Just looking for some damn help."

You asked for people to help only with post-production. It was assumed that the remainder was already done (by Brent), but in either case, that's not a community project if anything's started as of yet.

"And thought this would be cool as the first project that the whole board has worked on together."

Except that it still wouldn't be. The first to try to bring people from a lot of different projects together into one series was Tales from the Holocron, and the first to bring many into one story has been Second Strike. Just an FYI.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.