main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

***ULTIMATE FAN FILM PRODUCTION: The Empire Strikes Again

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by theN00_Jedi, May 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlaireMusashi

BlaireMusashi Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2005
    Before I say why I'm replying, I feel I should point out I'm the kinda person who'd see a movie I knew would be bad for no reason other than to know how bad it really is. If you're not sure what I mean by that, I've seen Santa Claus Beats the Martians, Manos: Hands of Fate, Pearl Harbor, House of the Dead AND Alone in the Dark (which are arguably two of the worst movies of all time). I don't mean to boast, but while I was watching those I didn't even throw up or cry. I did occasionally wonder why people like Michael Bay and Uwe Boll get money while George Romero doesn't, but that's beside the point.

So, having established that, I watched "The Empire Strikes Again," and before I begin my real critique, I should mention that's a rather misleading title. Palpatine didn't really have anything to do with Jar Jar, so he couldn't be blamed for unleashing it into the Star Wars universe. If anyone's to blame it's George Lucas; a more fitting title, going by your formula, would've been "Lucas Strikes Again," but I don't like that title in general because it comes off as kinda mean-spirited, especially because of how (deliberately) poorly-animated Jar Jar was.

Getting to my point, "The Empire Strikes Again" was awful, but I mean that in the best way possible. If the character you dropped in weren't Jar Jar I might even upgrade "awful" to "bad," but...Jar Jar.

The real weakness of "The Empire Strikes Again" is the scroll. The general idea of a typo-laced scroll isn't funny because typos aren't; that said, it could've been funny, but you were too self-conscious in writing it.

If you're not sure what I mean by that, go to FanFiction.net and read any Star Wars fanfiction with the word "random" or the phrase "i suck at summaries" in its plot summary. I point that out because I think if you'd watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail's beginning about 15 times you'd benefit as a humorist from it, if only a little. That said, I think the Spaceballs approach would be the best - write an actual scroll (without typos), but have what you're saying be silly.

Finally, you had way too many establishing shots of swamps. The opening scroll should foreshadow enough to make any swamp shots unnecessary. The people who'd guess Jar Jar would appear will already've figured it out after a few seconds of (unnecessary) swamp - if they didn't already guess it from the scroll - and the people who wouldn't will get bored after as much.

2. theN00_Jedi

theN00_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2005
    I'm astonished, this many months and file is still there:D

In case anyone is interested, the sequel has a working title 'That's no moon, it's a rectangle'

I will eventually finish it, and it will... trust me... not be nearly as stupid as the first part, if simply becasue I lack the ability to create something so stupid two times in a row, as hard as I might try

3. theN00_Jedi

May 26, 2005
    laffo, and just as I post 'Our server is currently under heavy load please refresh the page in few minutes. Thank You!'[face_laugh]
    *edit, now it's back again

4. theN00_Jedi

May 26, 2005
    Production Photo: First day of principle photogrophy on Location in Tunisia
    [image=http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/1475/onset4zp.jpg]
    I would've taken more, but he got tired of holding his arms up like that

5. theN00_Jedi

May 26, 2005
    For all those who want one last chance to download a piece of history, the origional hi res version, in all it's glory, one last time.. due to be replaced within the month by the impending SE, and then finally the mind blowing sequel
    http://s38.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=33EG3R72LA0X13CPV5SMOZSMFN

6. theN00_Jedi

May 26, 2005
    Unused concept environment for Part II: Coming as soon as I feel like making it

[image=http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/5401/lgaband11ah.jpg]

7. theN00_Jedi

May 26, 2005
    One more concept, just for the heck of it..
    [image=http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/4489/ladygreedo24ys.jpg]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.