Amph Ultimate Marvel

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Darth-Lando, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    What do you people think about Marvel's Ultimate universe? I happen to love it. The stories are so much more down to Earth and more relatable for me personally than regular Marvel. I think they both have their place and I currently read ongoing series from both and have no problem keeping them seperate in my mind. (Something I've seen people complain about in the past). The Ultimates especially is now one of my favorite books ever and I never even really read any of the Avengers before.
  2. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I've read the Daredevil and Elektra books, because they were by Greg Rucka and Mike Carey, two writers by whom I'll read just about anything, and was disappointed with both volumes. Boring. But then, I don't particularly care for either character anyway.

I read the fourth trade of Fantastic Four, with the two-parter by Mike Carey and the beginning of Millar's run on the title, and may read the earlier stuff.

I love The Ultimates, and will certainly be reading Ellis' Galactus books.

I've been thinking of giving X-Men and Spider-Man a try, but haven't yet worked up the nerve to get started yet -- comics are expensive, and I tend to read them fast and want the next instalment immediately, so starting on a series with 10+ trades is an expensive decision for me.
  3. citizenjohn Jedi Knight

star 5
    The Ultimate titles are among my favorites. I especialy love THE ULTIMATES. I cant wait for the Ultimate Galactus story line.
  4. Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    The Daredevil and Elektra books were definetly the weakest of them all. And I can understand the reluctance to get into long ongoing series'. Spider-man just came out with it's 14th trade this past month and X-Men has 13 IIRC. Both are superb books though and I highly recommend them.
  5. NightHunter319 Jedi Master

star 4
    Spiderman, in my opinion is the best. I happen to have every graphic novel volume of the series :)
  6. JediMasterGuff Jedi Master

star 5
    I've got the first 6 X-Men TPBs. I re-read The Tomorrow People very often, but I found the ones after that a bit more boring. It just seemed to me that the team weren't together enough. I'll be catching up and getting the rest sometime soon though. I also had the first few individual comics of Spider-Man, but those were destroyed when we moved house, so I'll buy some of the Spider-Man TPBs too, along with the Fantastic Four (which I've never read, Ultimate or otherwise).
  7. Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    I'm very much looking forward to Ultimate Hulk versus Wolverine.

Have you guys seen the artwork of Logan being ripped in two? A little over the top, even for the Ultiverse, but it makes for a pretty awesome picture.
  8. Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I've read the first issue and it's off to a good start. They actually give a fairily plausible explanation for Wolvie's lack of unbreakability.
  9. Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Would you mind sharing it with me? It has not yet been released here, and I'm quite curious.
  10. Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    For those who want to be spoiled : Basically it comes down to his bones are laced with adamantium but his joints are not. Therefore his spinal cord can be ripped in half but all the vertebrae are still intact. It's fairly simple when you think about it.
  11. citizenjohn Jedi Knight

star 5
    That was a great issue. I loved how the Hulk ripped him in two, and Logans reaction to it. One of the guys who works on the tv series LOST is writing the series so its bound to get more interesting.
  12. Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Yeah, I heard Damon Lindelof is writing it, which is what got me excited in the first place. The awesome artwork just added to it. It's unfortunate that it's a bi-monthly release though, it'll be about a year until we get the final issue.

Makes sense. For the Ultimate Universe at least.

I wonder if they're just going to have him crawl over to his lower half and have him rub it to his abdomen until his healing factor reacts and re-attaches everything. Even for the Ultimate Universe that would be a stretch regarding Logan's healing factor.
  13. citizenjohn Jedi Knight

star 5
    WOW!!! I didnt realize it was a bi monthly series. But yeah, sholud be quite interesting to see what happens when he comes into contact with his other half.
  14. Raven Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    I figure that he'll just let the healing factor do its thing. I'm not expecting anything else, except maybe that he'll have to reopen the wounds.
  15. Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Wouldn't it be ridiculous if both halves regenerated itself into a complete Logan? One having Adamantion legs, and a bone torse, and one having bone legs buckling under a 200+ pount adamantium torso? Don't put it past them. They'd be able to spread the Wolverine character even more throughout the Marvel Universe. :p
  16. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    But more Wolverine can't be a bad thing. [face_mischief]
  17. FloppyMaN Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I LOVE it, I read mostly Ultimate X Men, Spider man, and F4. I am disappointed that they keep changing artist though, I rather like the originals for each series.

[-He who is not Floppy-]
  18. Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I just picked up the Ultimate Secret trade at lunch today. I'm surprised at how short it is. I thought it was 6 issues long, not 4. It really makes me wonder why they didn't package Ultimate Vision along with it. Last I had heard there are no plans to include Ultimate Vision in trade form at all, and that really dissapoints me. It could have easily been added to Ultimate Secret. Hopefully, Marvel will change their minds and put it in the Ultimate Extinction trade.
  19. JediOverlord Jedi Knight

star 5
    I like the Ultimate Marvel universe for their fresh takes on well-established characters,not to mention what they've done with them that's not burdened by 40+ years of continunity.

Has anyone ever noticed how the Ultimate versions of some Marvel characters are being merchandised more than their "616" counterparts,like the Green Goblin and X-Men? I can't really blame them-if I were a kid,I'd prefer the Ultimate version of the Rhino as an action figure.
  20. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 10
    I read the first volume of Ultimate Spider-Man and was bored to tears. I really gave it a fair shot and avoided reading a lot of the message boards about it. Bendis could've done a lot better in five issues than eight. Haven't read any of the others.
  21. Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I've noticed that myself. Like in the X-Men Legends games, the default costumes are all Ultimate, even for characters like Jubilee who have yet to appear in Ultimate form. Plus, it's doubly weird since the games don't even take place in the Ultimate universe.
  22. Teegirloo Jedi Master

star 6
    I have the first four Ultimate Xmen i havent read them in awhile but i love them. I need to start getting the the others i got side tracked with collecting SW comics and books that my Xmen has been put in the back burner:(
  23. Liesl Jedi Master

star 4
    I've read the first ten or so Ultimate X-Men, but that was a few years ago. I thought it was pretty good, but I thought it was strange how the different artists changed the way the characters looked sometimes. Like in one issue, everyone looked like anime, and next issue, it was back to looking "regular."
  24. Raven Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    I'm not a huge fan of drastic shifts in style. Actually, I'm not a fan of anime/manga, so that colored my opinion too. I can't reread those Ultimate X-Men stories with the manga-like art. I hate the art so much. Not only is it manga-like, it's BAD manga-like.
  25. Teegirloo Jedi Master

star 6
    WOW i need to go back and reread mine again i think i remember the changing styles but it was so long ago.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.