Amph Ultimate Marvel

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Darth-Lando, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Lando Chosen One

star 6
    Yeah, the changing stlyes, especially in X-Men bug me too. But, the way I look at things, the art first draws you into a book, and the story keeps you there. And the writing in Ultimate X-Men was good enough to let me get past the issues where the art was complete suckage.
  2. NJOfan215 Force Ghost

star 5
    I'm not too into the ultimate universe. It's more a function of being a poor college student then a fucntion of disinterest. I read the ultimates and all the stuff connected to them like ultimate 6 and ultimate war.

Mast: pick up ultimate 6 (it's collected in ultimated spiderman vol 9). You don't need to have read the volumes that come before it to get it.
  3. Teegirloo Force Ghost

star 6
    I have to agree with you there the writing is the most important because if it was just utter crap then it's not worth reading.
  4. Raven Administrator Emeritus

star 6

I thought that Ultimate 6 was awful.
  5. Darth-Lando Chosen One

star 6
    The first issue of Ultimate Extinction came out today. First appearence of Ultimate Silver Surfer and we're learning more about Guh Lak Tus. I can't wait for the rest of the series!
  6. citizenjohn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Need to hit my local shop either today or tomorrow. Been waiting for Ultimate Gah Lak Tus.
  7. Raven Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    The first half of UE was good, the second half not so much. I was hoping that it'd be epic, but the second half of issue #1 took things down a notch. I was really disapointed. Instead of putting things into overdrive with something on an Infinite Crisis level of coolness, we got new minor characters being introduced. I want Phoenix vs. Gah Lak Tus and Reed Richards struggling to find the Ultimate equivilent of the Ultimate Nullifier. Instead, I got a story about cheating spouses and the worst version of Silver Surfer I've ever seen. Seriously, seriously meh.

On the bright side, Kirkman is delivering with Ultimate X-Men. I was really worried that anyone after Vaugn would be a serious step down and back, but Kirkman is possibly even stepping it up. There were possibly too many subplots going on, but given that this does seem to be a transition arc that makes sense. The "new" Rogue is interesting; Gambit has definitely worn off on her. Prof X meets a very interesting woman, and I'm curious as to how much like her 616 counterpart she is, I'm kind of curious as to what the two things that Jean won't do for Scott are and think that that line was very Mark Millar-ish, and Storm and Wolverine make good buddies but I don't want to see anything romantic there. On the whole, I really liked that issue.
  8. ComicDiva Jedi Master

star 4
    Only Ultimate Title that i read and like is Ultimates, but I can't say I really love it. Other then that I dread the month of february when Marel shall unleash upon me Ultimate Deadpool. :( Lord have mercy.
  9. Seldes_Katne Force Ghost

star 1
    I used to read some of the regular Marvel titles, then went independent for a few years (ElfQuest), then dropped out of comics completely for a long time. But I started up with the Ultimate line a couple of years back and really enjoy it. For the people that want to try it out but don't want to invest a lot of money, check and see if your local public library has any of the titles. I'm the Youth Services Librarian for my local library, and we have almost all the Ultimate titles, along with some of the regular Marvel and DC. The Ultimate stuff circulates pretty well, especially Ultimate Spider-man.

My favorite title is The Ultimates, which is odd because I honestly never had much interest in the Avengers, which is what Ultimates is based on. One of the elements that's most appealing is the fact that all the members have faults or problems, and the inter-personal relationships are as interesting as the battles. The Ultimates aren't really a team, they're more like a group looking for therapy. (One of them really is a former psychiatric patient....)

I've read pretty much everything available in Ultimate Marvel, including Ultimate Adventures: One Tin Soldier (which a lot of people seem to dislike) and Ultimate Marvel Team-Ups, which I found to be kind of an uneven series in terms of art and writing. I have mixed feelings about the Ultimate Galactus series; some of the characters were played a little too much for laughs, but some of the science is neat, and I enjoyed the introduction of Sam Wilson (Falcon). I'm in hopes that Marvel will reconsider and collect the Ultimate Vision story in one either the Ultimate Extinction trade or possibly into the hardcover of the entire trilogy (if there are plans for a hardcover).

I have several comic book/Ultimate Marvel-related websites I visit, but my favorite is Ultimatecentral.com, which focuses mainly on the Ultimate line.
  10. Darth-Lando Chosen One

star 6
    I happened to like Ultimate Adventures. Sure, Hawk-Owl was a complete and utter rip off of Batman. Even his villian "The Principal" would fit perfectly into Batman's Rogues Gallery. I would definetly like to see Hawk-Owl and Woody show up again in the Ultimate Universe eventually.
  11. lordstarscream Jedi Knight

star 1
    i like the ultimate universe also..my favorite books are ultimate spiderman...ultimate avengers(ultimates) the ultimate iron man mini series but ultimate x men does not do it for me..you know what i would love to see...a ultimate captain america..think of it cap created im the 21 st century it would be a interesting read thats for sure..
  12. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    They've adapted The Ultimates into an animated movie: Ultimate Avengers: The Movie. You can see the trailer here. Looks like they've kiddified it. :(
  13. SLAVE2 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yeah I didn't think the trailer looked impressive at all. Its a shame they couldn't make it into a live-action movie, I like the Ultimates.
  14. Darth-Lando Chosen One

star 6
    Unfortunetly Marvel sold the movie rights to all the characters to a bunch of different movie studios. So we're never going to see a live action Avengers/Ultimates movie. Unless some of the major characters switch studios.
  15. Robal_Krahl Force Ghost

star 5
    I love Ultimate X-Men. It got me back into Marvel Comics, to be honest; the way they re-did stories, the art, the story... it was awesome. I can't say I'm crazy about they're suggestions of Colossus being gay, but other than that, I have no complaints.
  16. JediOverlord Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Just for fun: Which Marvel characters would you like to see Ultimatized,and how would you do it? Here's my choices:

Thanos: I'd make him an alien cult leader obsessed with death and chaos. A good foe for the Ultimate FF to fight.

Rama-Tut: As for this classic FF villian,I'd maybe make him a guy from the present who has a thing for Ancient Egypt,or perhaps an alien manipulating Ancient Egyptians in a Stargate/Chariots of the Gods kind of thing.

Onslaught: This one's a toughie. Maybe a mutant with really strong psychic powers,with no ties to Xavier,or Xavier and Magneto merged into one being.
  17. Darth-Lando Chosen One

star 6
    Ghost Rider - I'd put money on him showing up, at least with a cameo somewhere before the movie comes out next year.
  18. Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Yeah, I've been waiting on Ghost Rider to pop up in the Ultiverse for a while now. An short Ultimate Ghost Rider series on him could really revamp mainstream interest before the movie's released.
  19. Raven Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    I want to see Thanos down the road as well, but I want to see it done as a mega-event, like the Ultimate Gah Lak Tus has been done.

Apocalypse is another I want to see done. He's shown up briefly, sort of, in Ultimate X-Men already, but I want to see that plotline drawn out. I don't want it to be extended forever, but it would be nice to see slow, steady subtle build towards it, much like the Phoenix story has been building and much like DC built up their Crisis.
  20. Darth-Lando Chosen One

star 6
    Did anyone else pick up Ultimate X-Men #67 last week? It had some pretty major stuff happening. The big one being that aparently Sabertooth is Wolverine's SON!?!? Pretty wild stuff, a definete step away from the 616 Universe!
  21. Soontir-Fel Force Ghost

star 5
    Not really. It's more of a flip seeing as how Sabertooth was once believed to be Wolvies dad.
  22. Raven Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Yeah, just a different spin on an old plotline in my opinion.

Ultimate Fantastic Four this week was awesome. The zombies are still kicking around, and scary as ever. President Thor is a nutbar, but an awesome one. And I'm really curious as to whether Super Skrull is a good guy or bad guy - the way that his scene went I'm leaning towards the former, but you never know.
  23. chiss_man Force Ghost

star 6
    Ah but I kinda prefer Apocalypse being a figment of Sinister's imagination. It was quite the fun twist.
  24. Darth-Lando Chosen One

star 6
    My thoughts on Super Skrull: He wants to stop the FF from stopping the experiment so to avoid President Thor and Super-Earth. Making for an easier invasion attempt.
  25. Soontir-Fel Force Ghost

star 5
    Is a new issue of the Ultimates ever coming out?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.