main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ultimate Star Trek

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by NJOfan215, Jun 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    www.trekweb.com

has posted the 14 page outline for a star trek series by JMS and Bryce Zable proposed in 2004. It's an interesting read, but i'm not too sure about it. I can see myself liking the show from what they said, but when i read it, i thought, this sounds like b5 in the star trek universe. What do you guys think?

Do you guys think the the success of BSG, Ultimate marvel, and perhaps the superman movie are factors in favor or something like this getting made?

I like JMS's out line of the first season. I also like that there would have been a mix of arc and non arc related episodes like x-files. What do you guys think?

Who would you want to play kirk, spock, and mccoy? I really haven't given this much thought.

I also like the idea about consulting leading science and tech people about what type of tech should be on the show, as long as they don't abandon things like the transporter and warp drive.

2. The Bigger Fish

The Bigger Fish Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    Star Trek needs a rest. I'm sure it will come back, but everyone involved should wait a while. Like, 10 years or so.

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    You guys really have been out of the loop haven't you? o_O

New Trek film by JJ Abrams in '08.

4. England

England Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 17, 2004
    Captain Tom Cruise is lost on a mysterious Island Planet.

5. Cliodna_ben_Lhee

Cliodna_ben_Lhee Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2003
    and with Matt Damon as Captain James. T. Kirk???????????????
    http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=3&id=36682&type=0

6. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Roddenberry's spirit is crying where ever he is right now.

7. Raph1613

Raph1613 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2004

These "people" are motivated by money and the possibility of making more of it. That's all they care about. No thought goes into how thoroughly they might eviscerate a good idea, as long as they think they can sucker enough people into watching... if for no better reason than nostalgia for the original.
    ...look at what happenned to the two B-5 spinnoffs, and the two (that I know of) original X-men movies. There's more, but I just don't have time.....

I really think the best choices to play Kirk, Spock, and McCoy would be Shatner, Nimoy, and Kelly. There's nothing at all wrong with the original series. Just my opinion.

FYI: Transporters and Warp Drive are just a matter of time. Science has been working on those for a long time, and they are still getting the very basic fundamentals sorted out. But in theory, some day.

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >> ...look at what happenned to the two B-5 spinnoffs<<

Crusade was a possibility planned from the start and was killed by TNT ( ::patooie!:: ) before it had a chance to even go into it's actual story arc (not the plague). What we got, if viewed in the right order, was actually fairly solid (TNT ::patooie!:: intrusions not withstanding).

Legend of the Rangers was admittedly rushed and was a backdoor way of continuing the Crusade plotline while including a new main plot. Given time (and scrapping of the "weapons system"), the show may have been a worthy successor, though it did pale in comparison to Crusade from the short taste we got.

9. Raph1613

Jan 15, 2004
    [face_laugh]

Nicely put!

But, uh... by "Backdoor", did you mean "roughly sodomized with a cactus"? Because that's what it felt like to watch that spinnoff.
    (and I am very ashamed to admit that I did watch a bit of it)

I can't say enough about the kind of brain damage that was required for "them" to come up with the "Weapons System" and seriously think that it was a "cool" or "hip" idea. I believe in feminine empowerment, but not when it makes women look retarded, and everyone else incompetent.

Genuine creativity and a good story are crucial.

It's a shame that is lacking.

It's a shame that I myself lack those abilities.

Joss Whedon save us!!!

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>But, uh... by "Backdoor", did you mean "roughly sodomized with a cactus"? Because that's what it felt like to watch that spinnoff.
    (and I am very ashamed to admit that I did watch a bit of it) <<

It wasn't *that* bad. There were a couple fun characters, at the very least. And G'Kar is never dull to watch. However, they could have done without reciting the Ranger mantra every 5 seconds ;)

By backdoor I meant that the events of Rangers' second season would have overlapped with the events of Crusade, as far as timeline placement goes, and the Excaliber was recieving socuting reports from the Rangers, so it was very likely we would have seen some kind of crossover there to resolve the Crusade arc. (there were even rumors that, if Rangers as a series had done well in it's first season, we'd have gotten Crusade rivived to run concurrently with Rangers second season).

>>I can't say enough about the kind of brain damage that was required for "them" to come up with the "Weapons System" and seriously think that it was a "cool" or "hip" idea. I believe in feminine empowerment, but not when it makes women look retarded, and everyone else incompetent. <<

Basicly they designed this elaborate weapons system concept, but ran over budget and couldn't build it, so they were forced to come up with that zero-G thing at the last minute. Had the show gone to series, they would have scrapped the thing in the pilot and replaced it with the original concept.

11. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    I agree with everything quest said in his last two post.

12. Raph1613

Jan 15, 2004
    ^ What, you don't agree with anything that I said?? ^

* sigh *

However, Quest does make a really good point about "Rangers":
    G'Kar is always cool. I'm glad they weren't able to screw his character up. Especially after all those years of Character Development on B-5, growing from a hotheaded power-monger into one of the wisest, most eloquent leaders ever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.