Amph Ultimates 3 - Anyone reading it?

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by RogueSquadronWingnut, Dec 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RogueSquadronWingnut CR, The Rebellion, Rochester, NY

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Dynamite first issue.

Great art and you can really see the splinters of the Ultimates and how far they've broken since the end of Ultimates 2.
  2. Darth-Lando Chosen One

star 6
    I honestly don't know what to think of this book. This first issue was dreadful. There was aboslutely no bridge between Ultimates 2 and 3. Who are Black Panther and Valkerie and why am I supposed to care about them? And why is WASP leading the team? Surely Tony, Cap, or Thor would have made better choices. This would have made a fine 2nd issue but the way they just dropped us in there was just poor writing. And the addition of Spider-Man and Wolverine (even if they've yet to show up) just makes it seem too much like New Avengers. I dunno, mayber Millar and Hitch set the bar too high, but I was kinda dissapointed by Ultimates 3.
  3. NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I like the art, but i have no idea what's going on with the book. I don't see how it has anything to do with what happened in ultimates 1 and 2. Hank sedems to be back on everyone's good side?
  4. Raven Administrator Emeritus

star 6

I'm hoping that Ultimates 3 will provide the same kind of thrill as ASGDBAGDRTGDBW. I don't think that I'm going to be so lucky. For one thing, the art is terrible. Honestly, going from Hitch to this is just painful.
  5. chiss_man Force Ghost

star 6
    One thing I'd never call this new version of Ultimates is "subtle". Not that Millar was a master of it either, but Loeb is just going to the extreme on that.
  6. RogueSquadronWingnut CR, The Rebellion, Rochester, NY

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Apparently this Valkyrie is the same as the one from that rookie DEFENDERS group in Ultimates 2 that Giant-Man joined up with.
    Shes gone from powder puff to an actual Asgardian without much knowledge as to why.

Hawkeye is just...that poor guy just needs someone to end him.
  7. NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I think Hitch is a far better artist than mad, but i think Ultimates 3 looks better than a lot of the other books on the shelf today.

This just doesn't feel like an ultimates book to me.
  8. Darth-Lando Chosen One

star 6
    After re-reading it, I've decided that as long as you don't try to compare it to the Ultimates 1 + 2 it's a decent book. I tend to think of Loeb as the Michael Bay of comics. He'll give you plenty of over the top action and "Oh ****!" moments, but the storytelling often leaves something to be desired.
  9. BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Read it.

Hated it.

Will skim the next issue to see if it is worth it. I doubt it will be though.

I mean, it was like it was trying too hard to be 616 Avengers X-TREME. Wasp leading...been done. Wanda back in her 616 outfit for no reason. F-Lister given god powers just so Thor could get laid? Ultimate Venom's appearance better have a dang good explanation. And Hawkeye here is just...argh.
  10. Soontir-Fel Force Ghost

star 5
    The second issue us even more terrible then the first.

Amazing.
  11. Darth-Lando Chosen One

star 6
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. Jeph Loeb is the Michael Bay of comics. He's all style and no substance. And the style here isn't even that good.
  12. Raven Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    As for #2:

Pencils? Awful.

Coloring? Terrible.

Plot? Where?

Dialog? Someday, there will be a word for how bad it is.

Overall? Entertaining in the same way a train derailing in the middle of a crowded city (while carrying toxic chemicals) is entertaining.
  13. StarscreamPrime Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm amazed the second issue is even out. (Is there anyone that could send me a link to keep track of Marvel's new releases, since their site makes it near impossible to find that section?)

But I remember my impression of the first issue; I expected nothing great, and got just what I expected. If anything, this book reminds me of the latter-era Rob Liefeld Image imprint titles, in that it looked all nice and shiny, but had a TERRIBLE sense of exposition.
  14. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    http://www.marvel.com/catalog/?date=2008-01

That's their January releases. Substitute the 01 for 02 for February and so forth, as far back or forward as you care to go. Alternatively, you could just keep up with a news site -- newsarama.com, comicbookresources.com, comicsbulletin.com -- they post forthcoming solicitations when they're released.
  15. Soontir-Fel Force Ghost

star 5
    All Star Batman and Robin is better at being bad than this.
  16. Darth-Lando Chosen One

star 6
    Every Monday diamondcomics.com updates their new releases section with a list of all the books from every publisher that are being shipped that week.
  17. Sith_Sensei__Prime Force Ghost

star 5
    I know the Ultimates 3 is being bashed, but since I haven't read Ultimates 1&2 and therefore don't have any pretext of comparison, I like Ultimates 3. The artwork is outstanding.
  18. Soontir-Fel Force Ghost

star 5
    Ultimates 3 is bad even just by itself. You have the worst taste.
  19. NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    yeah i'm dropping it.
  20. Sith_Sensei__Prime Force Ghost

star 5
    Perhaps. Everyone has their own personal taste. Even Roger Ebert like some movies that were considered real stinkers. I'll continue to read the upcoming issues. I don't really have any problems with it.
  21. Raven Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    The artwork is terrible.

Ultimates and Ultimates 2, those had outstanding art.
  22. Darth-Lando Chosen One

star 6
    It's really a shame. I wanted to like Ultimates 3, I REALLY did. But this is just so BAD. It's only compounded by the fact that it's a real challenge to follow Millar and Hitch. They're just the perfect duo. I am really looking forward to their run on Fantastic Four which starts this month.
  23. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Their Fantastic Four should be great, and Millar's Old Man Logan story looks like a blast, too. Utterly cliched, but a blast nonetheless.
  24. Soontir-Fel Force Ghost

star 5
    Both of those will probably suck. Anything with Spider-Man's granddaughter being named Spider-***** can't be good.

Millar has written about 3 good things in his life and the rest suck.
  25. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I don't turn to him for literary greatness, but as far as basic well-done sensationalism I think he's one of the best in the business. As far as sheer fun in superhero comics, The Ultimates and The Ultimates 2 are about as good as it's been these last few years.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.