main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lightsabers & Blasters Ultrasabers?

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by DarthCemeroX, Sep 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthCemeroX

DarthCemeroX Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2007
    In my recentl quest for a new duelign saber (after my last one met its end a month or two ago)

And In my search for completed sabers( since making one is most likely a bad idea for me) I came across ultrasabers.com

And I'm just wondering if anybody has:
    A) Ordered from them at all, and could give me your opinions/advice
    B) Has ordered a stunt saber of theirs.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated, thanks a bunch.

2. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    The guy who runs the thing posts here, so, even if there is any problems, you can easily get a hold of him, even though its not likely any problems will come up.

3. Symina

Symina Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2006
    I bought an Ultrasaber from them a couple years back and I've had no problem with it.

4. LAN-ED-TUL

LAN-ED-TUL Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2005
    Alex, of Ultrasabers, is a top notch guy to deal with, also along with that, you should also check out TCSS as the owner, Tim sells saber parts too.

5. DarthCemeroX

Mar 28, 2007
    I'd have gone to TCSS first as it was the first site I hear about, but I'm aware you can't buy completed sabers.

Building a saber seems very out of the bounds of my ability.

I think I'm actually going to do a mail in conversion if I can get a hold of a Maul Force fx, as that was what I had my first saber modeled after.

6. LAN-ED-TUL

Oct 28, 2005
    TCSS at one time did the conversions. but since MR lost the FX line, Tim hasnt restocked any kits unless he gets a number of folks wanting a particular one. right now the best bet for kits is Alex.

7. Amanita

Amanita Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2003
    I have three sabers by Ultrasabers- the S3 stunt, the Wraith, and the Liberator. They're all beautiful pieces of work, especially the wraith and liberator.

8. The_Clone_Emperor

The_Clone_Emperor Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 20, 2002
    [color=006699] It may be a number of years since I posted here. I write now to express my firm approval of the service and commitment to quality of Ultra Sabers.

I am have been very pleased with their product. I have more sabres from Ultrasbers than I have arms--but then I have several costumes, each with unique blade requirements.

The folk of Ultra Sabers work their craft well.

Be well,
    Thomas Spanos[/color]

9. DarthCemeroX

Mar 28, 2007
    Well I'm glad so many people seem to use ultra sabers. And apparently after researching even members of NY jedi have used the conversions which makes me feel better. Because I need my sabers to be rather durable ( my dueling club tends to forget we aren't real jedi).

Has anybody here ever converted their force fx?
    Was the luxeon brighter?

10. LAN-ED-TUL

Oct 28, 2005
    yes i did a vader esb, cost me 50 for the saber, round 50 for the convert parts, and sold it on first sight to a guy at a con for 200. YES, they blow a stock MR blade away. MR can only run a L3. but the boards will power them by themselves, no extra stuff.

11. DarthCemeroX

Mar 28, 2007
    is the polycarbonate blade they give you good for dueling, I;ve heard the only issue with the MR sabers is the lEDS in the blade, but with the luxeon I'll assume it's ripe for a duel.

12. AramysStrael

AramysStrael Jedi Master star 4

Mar 9, 2004
    I would say they are more durable than the MR. But that is because the MR uses a string of LEDs to light the blade. Hard dueling, even moderate dueling is prone to shattering some of the LED lights. I've done it with my MR Luke Skywalker saber.

But here is the thing to keep in mind, anything can be broken when putting enough force into it. If you want a blade that is completely duel proof, then I would go with dueling sabers that have fixed dueling blades and leave your expensive saber safely tucked away somewhere.

But if you are going to use the polycarbonate tubes with the lux, try to get the thicker walled stuff. It should take a little more abuse from dueling classes - if you absolutely have to go with a lighted saber blade for your dueling purposes.

- Bill

13. LAN-ED-TUL

Oct 28, 2005
    MR uses a thin wall poly blade. the ones i use are i inch thivk wall blades. much more durable to deul with.

all my sabers have either both sound and luxeon or just luxeon, and all use 1 inch thick wall blades, and i duel pretty darn hard, and only broke one blade, and that blade was like 3 years old when it broke.

14. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    I thought that when Ultrasabers does a conversion they just gave you back the original thin walled MR blade with their diffuser film in it?

15. DarthCemeroX

Mar 28, 2007
    do they know?

My friend sent me this link yesterday
    http://www.ultraforcesabers.com/product/UFS-REP-02

Anybody familiar with them?

I'm not doing too much heavy dueling. My last saber broke during one of the early practices when we devised the "no flip" rule shortly after.

Ultrasabers seems to only give you the blade you send in and is about the same price as the UFS conversion plus a new blade.

But for the most part my dueling isn't very heavy, I try to learn my routines well enough where I don't need much force.
    My only concern in using a thicker blade is losing intensity in the color of my saber.

16. Evil-Henchman

Evil-Henchman Jedi Master star 4

Jul 17, 2004
    Usually when someone is referring to thick walled 1" tubing in reference to blades for lightsabers they are referring to clear polycarbonate tubing that has a 1" outside diameter and a 3/4" inside diameter meaning that the wall thickness is 1/8". The thin walled 1" polycarbonate tubing has a wall thickness of 1/16". The thin walled tubing is not good for sparring or dueling in fan films. It breaks too quickly. The thick walled tubing however is excellent for sparring and can last a very long time. I used the thick walled tubing for my entry in LCC3 and did not break a blade during choreography or filming. It's extremely tough and lightweight.

As far as brightness when lighting up the blade, while I have not done that with the thin walled tubing, I have done it with the thick walled tubing using Luxeon 3 LEDs and to me it's very bright. I doubt there is much difference in brightness between the two.

If Ultrasabers does not normally replace the MR blade when they do conversions, I'm sure you can get them to for a small fee.

17. LAN-ED-TUL

Oct 28, 2005
    yes the norm is resending the MR blade, but you CAN order the replacement blade when you place the order. or go to TCSS and get the blades from there.

18. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    I have 2 Ultrasabers....
    one is a conversion that I began myself with their kit and cd...
    my "guts" didn't match the one shown on the CD due to a MR production change and
    Ultra sabers was really nice about finishing up for me.

Also have an Ultra Sabers fan made saber that I picked up at Motor City Comic Con...
    I love it...

I have also ordered two more sabers from them a month ago (haven't heard anything on them
    yet) that I eagerly await...I will probably customize them a bit...

they are durable and practical...and the light is much brighter than the traditional
    FX....

Both that I have right now are blue blades..and the ones coming are green...so I can't wait
    to see how much brighter the green is...

19. DarthCemeroX

Mar 28, 2007
    Well I'll (with any luck) be getting my saber some time tonight and then converting via mail in sometime soon.

And on a side note, my buddy is here and he doesn't post on the forums (and I didn't wanna make a new thread for it) but he and I have been interested in the NY jedi and as we plan to move into New york next year for college we were looking into joining.

Is anybody actually in ny jedi and possibly fill me in on how one goes about joinin...and if you can join at all.

20. LAN-ED-TUL

Oct 28, 2005

you think the Lux 3 green is bright try the Lux V green. i have one in a TCSS MHS hilt i made, and it BLINDS folks.

this is mine:

[image=http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c291/LAN-ED-TUL/IMG_0739.jpg]

21. Evil-Henchman

Jul 17, 2004
    Nice.

22. LAN-ED-TUL

Oct 28, 2005
    and the wifes soeul P4 240 lumen with 2 light amber filters from lee.:

[image=http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c291/LAN-ED-TUL/IMG_0741.jpg]

23. DarthCemeroX

Mar 28, 2007
    Any pics of blue luxeon?

24. Evil-Henchman

Jul 17, 2004
    Here's 3 I put Luxeon III LEDs in.

One of these days I'll get some Luxeon Vs for my own personal hilts.

[image=http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y237/Evil-Henchman/ARKM%20Saber%20Hilts/RGB-01.jpg]

25. LAN-ED-TUL

Oct 28, 2005
    yeah i got a real graflex with a hasbro board for sound and it runs a L3 blue. i also did a MR mace aber convert with a Royal Blue L3 in it for the wife.

[image=http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c291/LAN-ED-TUL/IMG_0742.jpg]

graflex on left blue, and mace MR converted Royal blue on right

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.