main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Fran, CA Um, is this for real?

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Zero_has_lightsaber, Dec 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zero_has_lightsaber

Zero_has_lightsaber Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 25, 2005
    I know there are some combat people on this board, and I ran into a peculiar link:

http://www.safetygearhq.com/taylor.htm

Is this guy for real? Is he a credible source? Or is he like the countless other guys on the internet that are full of BS?

2. Jedi_Tenken

Jedi_Tenken Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2000
    It doesn't take 4 hours to soley teach gun disarms...

3. Zero_has_lightsaber

Zero_has_lightsaber Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 25, 2005
    What about that Small Man's Advantage video? Can a weak person really defend themself from a stronger assailant by using some kind of strategy (besides carrying a shotgun)?

4. Jedi_Tenken

Jedi_Tenken Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2000
    Leverage, pressure points, with agility and speed.

5. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Helps if the big guy is a big bulky clutz with no combat training of any kind.

Actually I can tell you one thing from years of training at a dojo: You are better off fighting someone with experience than someone without. The guy with training knows what he's doing, where as the thug without is a lot more dangerous because he's a lot less predictable or controlled.

Yes, disarm training can take hours. First you learn the technique, then you practice it. Then you get more instruction to refine it. Then you practice that too. Then you practice more, learn more, refine more. Even a basic technique can take years to perfect.

How valid is that particular site? Well, he may have that experience, but watching the videos wouldn't be enough to make you prepared for the real thing. Even if you practiced along... Nope. If you REALLY want to be able to do that sort of thing, be prepared to spend 4 years learning "the basic stuff" before even scratching the surface of the weird, fantastic, freaking smeg. Think of it like those foam nunchucks: you can practice with them and improve your dexterity, but you wouldn't want to have to rely on them.

6. Nktalloth

Nktalloth Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 5, 2005
    ...Right. I would reccomend taking his information with a grain of salt. I did a google on him, found more than three seperate pages offering his video, so it must have some good qualities. I very much doubt that he jammed a steel rod through his arm and used it to drag his ford several blocks without scarring or bleeding. It's not so much the bleeding that'd get ya, as it is your bones snapping in two because you just jammed a steel rod that can tug a mustang through them. Disarming guns in and of itself would not be hard to teach. It'd be insanely hard to pull off however.

My advice is that the best stuff on self defense you can find is in the few reliable Ninjutsu booklets available to the public. They offer multiple fighting styles/stances, as well as ways to temporarily blind or disable your opponent so you can get away.

Rule-of-thumb: Self-taught means it works for one person. That person being the one who developed it. It may also work with you, but it's reccomended you get some formal training in a recognized martial art.

Just my two cents...

7. Harlock415

Harlock415 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2003
    ....or you could just kick 'em in their kaibur cystals and run like hell. That method works pretty good too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.