main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Victoria. BC Umbrela Group

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by don-mccaskill, Aug 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. don-mccaskill

don-mccaskill Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    Is anyone interested in a group to bring all the science fiction fans of Victoria together?
    if so I first need a name Mike DeWolfe and I are thinking SF Victoria or Victoria SF. What do you think?

2. haruwindsong

haruwindsong Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 2, 2004
    It's been tried in the past, several times. Not that it isn't a great idea, it's just that Victoria fans seem to be of the: sounds great but I have other (better) things to do than attend a meeting once a month.

A large SF club that incorporates SW, ST, readers, Anime, the SCA (medieval club), et al would be wonderful and provide a great pool to draw from when trying to organize a local SF convention (like now --- if you haven't read to "Admiral Ozzle wants you" thread.

Go for it. I support you and will attempt to get to meetings. Hopefully you'll be more successful than everyone else. However, I suggest you wait until school starts again (especially college and university) so you can post notices everywhere to attract people. Oh, and suggest you post in whatever libraries, book stores and the specialty stores (New Age, Curious Comics, gaming, etc) will accept the flyers.

3. TR0773

TR0773 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 22, 2003
    If your interested, the Outerrim unit for BC has a yahoo group open and I am accepting any SF Fantasy local (as in BC) to sign up, topic discussion in unlimited at this time, with the main interest on costume and armor building in the 501st/RL, but we have toy collectors, car fans, and all sorts on the site, our numbers are small but they are growing.

note: If you want to join you need a Yahoo account, before you can join the group.

Randy

4. don-mccaskill

don-mccaskill Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    There wont be any meetings to show up to, just a forum that you don't have to 'join' to participate in.
    Each group under the umbrella would have at least 1 (one) member with a posting account, but anyone that wonders by can participate. The idea is a virtual meeting place that eliminates the need for memberships, money to pay for meeting places, accounting, and a lack of desire for people with heavy schedules to ?get involved?.

I'm looking for a consensus on a name

1) SFVictoria
    2) VictoriaSF

Make your vote.

5. haruwindsong

haruwindsong Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 2, 2004
    Sounds gerat in principal, but have you checked on the boards lately? There are times when important information is being missed because people don't or can't log in on time to catch the news. That's why in-person meetings generally work better. Most (I didn't say all, Randy) people do their best to attend and generally let the others know when they can't.

Anyway, that's my piece. I'll do my best to support whatever happens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.