main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Umm...Is There such a thing as a good Star Trek book?

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Manisphere, Mar 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    I know. I know. Reading Star Trek is worse than reading a copy of Swank behind the 7/11 while filling your mouth with Pop Rocks, cold nachos, and a caffeine drink in the rain but I still have to ask if any of the books are at all worth reading. I'd love to read a good Borg plot or something.:confused:

DJK edit: This is more of a topic for the SFF Books and Comics Forum.

2. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Vendetta

end of list.

3. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Imzadi by Peter David (or was it David Peters? One is a pseudonym for the other) wasn't bad. If you get some of the really old ones (early-mid 70s) like "Fate of the Pheonix" that are probablly out of print, I understand those are good.
    Problem is that there are now so many people writing. And so very many are hacks.

SW novels have run into this to. Alan Dean Foster wrote a good novel. Brian Daley wrote 3 excellent novels. Whoever wrote the lando trilogy was a hack. Then nothing for 10 years or so. Then Timothy Zahn wrote an excellent trilogy. Then the floodgates broke loose, and suddenly every moron with a set of crayons was writing. And most of them were utter garbage. Kevin J Anderson isn't the worst writer, but he writes so many bad novels... A few good novels manage to squeek through the rubbish, but for the most part, as with TV, most books are crap.

Can you tell I used to work in publishing?

4. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    This probably belongs in the book and comic forum. But until then, I've read a few. I'd say that among my favorites are the Shatner books that he co-wrote. Except for the newest trilogy that goes back to the Academy days. Anyway, it really depends on how many you have read and which ones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.