Un question....

Discussion in 'Communications' started by RidingMyCarousel, Apr 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    I have no objections with you posting there at all Go-Mer. I am sure no one else does either. If they do, they can see Quix or Steve or even myself about it.

2. Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus

star 6
    If I am such a bad seed, then why not just ban me from the entire forum?

Because when you choose to post about the films and not the posters, you've positively contributed to the forums. I've seen posts of yours that demonstrated a good balance of reasonable explanation for events in the films with reasonable motivations for the characters.

When you start drama and start analyzing the personal lives of your fellow posters, that's when the problems start.

Bans end after a period of time, why is this thread any different?

Not necessarily - we have permabans as well (or the currently preferred nomenclature - "indefinite bans"). It might be healthier to simply move on to the myriad topics you can discuss, instead of chomping at the bit to get back where you've caused a lot of trouble.

And Go-Mer, the TPMDF hasn't been the Gusher's Sanctuary in a long, long, long time (I think Nathan was still the moderator then).

EDIT:

If the topics that pertain to TPM are taking place inside these two exclusive threads, then they aren't happening in the rest of the forum where I can participate.

Unless you started a thread on one of the topics to see if anyone wanted to come play...

By having an official Basher and Gusher thread, TFN is encouraging it.

Hardly. You are using the terms as loaded language, when the regulars of the threads don't. The only thing TF.N encourages is open and honest discussion, which is all that occurs.

We have had threads on the Phantom Edit, discussing it as a phenomenon. Does it therefore stand to reason that TF.N endorses the Phantom Edit? We have had threads on whether LFL's decision to withhold a DVD release of the CT would cause piracy rates to rise. Does it therefore stand to reason that TF.N encourages copyright infringement and dissemination of copyrighted materials? Just because a thread is open does not mean that it is endorsed - it simply means it is seen as germane to the SW phenomenon.

I may not agree with what you said, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. - Voltaire
  3. Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Well what about in the BS?

Can't a guy ever be forgiven?

The topics I want to discuss are all taking place in the BS and DF.
  4. Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Well what about in the BS?

Can't a guy ever be forgiven?

NathanDahlin forgave you, and you relapsed.

cbjedi forgave you, and you relapsed.

Oakessteve forgave you, and you relapsed.

I forgave you, and you relapsed.

See a trend?

It might be healthier if you simply moved on to the rest of the forum, chock full of topics you haven't gotten yourself banned from discussing.
  5. Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Like I said, the discussions I want to be involved in are happening in those exclusive threads. Topics that are germane to TPM.
  6. Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I'm not inclined to do so. Actions and choices have consequences, Go-Mer, and this is one you'll have to face. Because of the posting habits you have chosen to employ over the past four years, you will not be allowed to take part in this one. Your history of "discussion" in that thread shows only bad netizenry. If you want to discuss a topic brought up in the Sanctuary, start a thread and see if anyone joins you.
  7. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Have you checked out the Cinematography thread and other good conversations going on around the TPM forum? There are a lot of great places that everyone in the TPM forum interacts.

8. Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling

star 6
    That was a long time ago.

Since the last time I got in trouble, have I not displayed good netizenry?
  9. C-3P0 Jedi Master

star 4
    If a social thread is popular, a move to Star Wars Community shouldn't kill it.

If such a thing once happend before to the Defense force, why was anyone compelled to save it?

One social thread per forum is the general rule for the film boards, it seems odd that the TPM forum is treated differently.

I for one would appreciate it if a thread discussing this was started in the Mod squad for inclusion in the next mod update.

Thanks in advance Quixiotic-Sith.
  10. Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus

star 6
    If a social thread is popular, a move to Star Wars Community shouldn't kill it.

Except that history has shown it to be the case - more often than not, when discussion threads are moved out of the forums in question, the traffic dies down. It even can be due simply to folks seeing it as a PITA to click a couple of links to go back and forth between forums. It *shouldn't* happen, but it does. It also inconveniences *a lot* of people who are actively posting the the threads - many, many more than have posted in this one.

If such a thing once happend before to the Defense force, why was anyone compelled to save it?

Ask cbjedi, he's the one who authorized the move back to the TPM forum. I think it may have been because a sense of community was *lost* when the thread was moved.

One social thread per forum is the general rule for the film threads, it seems odd that the TPM forum is treated differently.

But they aren't simply social threads - they are directed and have meaningful discussion. If they were simply versions of the Nubian Cafe (the social thread in the TPM forum), I'd see where you are coming from; the threads, however, are more complex than that - they are actually on-topic discussions, not simply social threads.
  11. C-3P0 Jedi Master

star 4
    I had another thought.

The Basher/gusher mentality seems to be perpetuated by the very titles of the two threads in question.

I suggest if no other action is taken, then serious thought should be given to renaming both threads.

If, as you say, most people call the Basher Sactuary, "The Sanctuary", when it is time to restart the thread due to length it may be appropriate to rename it as well. Losing the polarizing titles would go a long way to easing this division.

Pehaps this idea should be brought up in both the threads in question.

:D

Edit:
    I'd still appreciate this topic being opened in the mod squad for inclusion in the mod update. :D
  12. Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling

star 6
    If both threads are not about bashing or gushing, then why not merge them into a single "free form" debate thread?
  13. Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus

star 6
    If, as you say, most people call the Basher Sactuary, "The Sanctuary", when it is time to restart the thread due to length it may be appropriate to rename it as well. Losing the polarizing titles would go a long way to easing this division.

Pehaps this idea should be brought up in both the threads in question.

That certainly is food for thought, and I'm sure Binary and strilo would consider it. My only proviso would be that the names should reflect what kind of discussion should be expected.

There's a world of difference between "Fast Food" and "Kosher Deli" after all.

EDIT:

If both threads are not about bashing or gushing, then why not merge them into a single "free form" debate thread?

Variants of this question have already been asked and answered, Go-Mer.
  14. Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling

star 6
    So you won't grace me with the great reason they can't be merged?

How would changing the names alter the fact that it still ends up being 2 factions based on the bahser/gusher mentality?
  15. Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus

star 6
    How would changing the names alter the fact that it still ends up being 2 factions based on the bahser/gusher mentality?

Your painting with too broad of a brush again, Go-Mer.

EDIT:

Please reread the thread, Go-Mer. I'm too tired to reinvent the wheel for you every time you ask me how to move the cart.
  16. Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Ideals are broad by their very nature.

To me, having a basher and gusher thread is as good as TFN encouraging the Basher/Gusher mentality.

And if we take these two threads and name them something else, then whats the difference between them then?

Without bahser and gusher lables, they both end up being free form debate threads that some people are not allowed to post in.

Why would we need two in that case?
  17. C-3P0 Jedi Master

star 4
    It's called compromise Gomer.

Trying to reach a happy medium. Getting the other guy to see your point of view without completely ignoring their position. Discussions should'nt be My way or the highway.

Personally, I'm of the opinion they should both go to Star Wars community, but obviously others have different opinions, and I do think a name change would smooth out some of the divisiveness in the TPM forum.

Consider it food for thought. :)
  18. Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling

star 6
    I am just trying to understand their position better.

They say that both threads are no longer about bashing or gushing. That in both threads dissent is not considered "off topic" or "trolling".

So to me, they each end up being free form debate threads.

My question is why would we need two of them if they aren't about "cliques" anymore?

On second thought why would we need one of them? Topics relating to TPM are meant for the TPM forum.
  19. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    What new name for the TPM Defense Force would help end some of the supposed divisiveness in the TPM Forum?

20. C-3P0 Jedi Master

star 4
    A change in name would be a sign that the other members recognize the polarization of the TPM forum, and may help it to move more to the middle.

Yet a name change does not destroy the sense of community and continuity that the participants of each thread enjoy.

Compromise. ;)

Edit: Bring it up in the defence force Strilo. I'm sure the thread members are intelligent enough to come to a consensus after a discussion. Besides, I'm sure they would prefer to pick a new name, than have one forced upon them. :D
  21. Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling

star 6
    So it preserves their sense of community with a pro or con TPM group?

How about renaming both threads with a hundred names, in one hundred threads, each with a different topic about TPM?

We could all belong to one big happy group.
  22. Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep

star 6

Because they're two different threads. The purpose of the two threads is different, and they are very different from the Nubian Cafe, which is a thread where people just socialize and talk about -- well, anything. People in the Sanct/DF talk SW (and other movies, but mostly SW).
  23. Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling

star 6
    What exactly is the difference if they are both about TPM?
  24. Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep

star 6
    Go-Mer, why do you ask questions to which you already know the answer?
  25. Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Is the answer: one is about having a "gusher" point of view and the other is about having a "basher" point of view?
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.