main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Un question....

Discussion in 'Communications' started by RidingMyCarousel, Apr 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    No. You've been in TPM Forum as long as I have, you know the history, you know why the threads were created.

I agree with Jeff. Having two big sanctuaries like that in a forum inherently creates at least the appearance of division within that forum, if not division itself.

Then this is simply a case of mis-information. No offense meant. Simply read through those threads and you will see that many of the regulars of the TPMDF and the Sanct get along OK. Regulars from the two groups co-exist peacefully, and some are friends. Some don't get along, true, but read the posting styles of those who don't. They take strong, confrontational views about what their opinions. This attitude, though admittedly within the TOS, generates conflict. These attitudes will also remain if the threads were locked, because they are generated by individual personalities, not threads.

2. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    If they weren't and aren't about keeping "bashers" and "gushers" separated, then what was their purpose originally and what is their purpose now?

In my opinion, these individual personalities can all discuss TPM in the individual thread topics that are generated about TPM without having it be about fan affilliations.

3. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    The decision lies with the Mods of the TPM forum. I think it would be really crappy indeed if their decision was forced for them by the rest of the administration who are not as familiar with the ins and outs of the TPM forum. Especially when that goes against the typical precedent that Mods are in charge of their own forums.

4. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Both of the TPM mods are members of the threads in question. That's a conflict of interests.

5. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I think that line of thought is preposturous and insulting to both mods.

6. obi_wan_kanathan

obi_wan_kanathan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2001
    If mods shouldn't have say in threads that they are a part of because of the worry of conflict of interest, then most mods wouldn't be able to have a say in a quarter of their forum because of their posts.

7. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    To me, this is a topic that should be considered by people who do not have a conflict of interests with this situation.

I mean no disrespect.

The TPM mods should have say, they just shouldn't be making the final descision.

8. Vanthorne_OX

Vanthorne_OX Jedi Master star 3

Nov 11, 2002
    It's probably best that all movie forum mods have a say in this, with more weight given to the TPM and SW Misc. mods, because AFAIK, those are the two places where these kinds of threads can be found.

I have limited experience, but I see no major problems coming as a result of these threads. I've read parts of them before, but they are gigantic so I can't say I've read them all entirely.

I hope the Nubian Cafe isn't being seen as a problem here either. I've posted in it since it's beginning, so I'm sort of partial to it. From that experience I can see how long standing members of these other threads would have vested interest. From what I've seen and experienced these threads do not deserve to be locked as long as they maintain the rules consistently and apply those rules fairly towards everyone despite affiliation with any particular group.

Also, Go-Mer-Tonic and anyone else who is interested, by all means join in on the discussion in the TPM Cinematography Thread.

9. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    This whole conflict of interest thing is complete rubbish. I agree with obi_wan_kanathan. Mods would have to opt out of quite a few decisions like this if they had to take conflicts of interest into account. Despite my being the person who runs the TPMDF, I am capable of stepping outside that role and making objective evaluations and decisions. I would say that Moderators are picked, among other reasons, because they are capable of doing the same, probably better than I do much of the time. I guess I am saying I trust Steve and Quix to make the right decision for the TPM forum objectively despite being members of both threads.

10. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I would hope that the moderators of TPM are like mods from any forum and having been regular members themselves they can objectively look at any thread. There are threads in the 3SA that I do not like in the least but they will never be locked by me because there is no reason they should be locked. That's what it means to be fair and objective.

11. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    If it is up to them alone, then I guess this whole movement was for naught.

The Basher Gusher war is only a neagative division. The only true way to get past it is to eliminate the patrisan camps for both sides.

Quixotic Sith and Oakessteve are quite clearly not going to consider the matter on their own, they are members of both the bashers and the gusher's threads.

This is a matter for the entire Force Net. Do we want to continue the division between fans? Or can we return the TPm forum to a place that is about the film, not the affilliation of fans?

If it can't be about the film, then people like me who are excluded might as well be banned.

I love TPM. I want to talk about it.

But the bahser's and gushers have taken over that forum. Their clicque threads are even built in to the links at the top of the page.

It's unhealthy for the fanbase as a whole, and should be done away with.

12. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    The Basher Gusher war is only a negative division. The only true way to get past it is to eliminate the patrisan camps for both sides.

Basher and gusher wars were as bad (actually, I'm told worse) before these threads popped up.

Also, partisan camps exist on other sites. The Basher Sanctuary at the DLC does quite well, TPMDF has their own forum, etc, etc...

Locking the Sanct/DF will not accomplish what you seek, Go-Mer.

Both of the TPM mods are members of the threads in question....

Perhaps it's because they see the value of those threads.

If they weren't and aren't about keeping "bashers" and "gushers" separated, then what was their purpose originally and what is their purpose now?

To form a secret council with plans of taking over Congress, of course. Although I think we've switched our focus to finding ways of stacking the Supreme Court.

13. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    I don't see this as a TF.N issue at all. This is limited exclusively to the TPM forum and that's really the only place this seems to be occuring.

14. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Go-Mer...
    "If they weren't and aren't about keeping "bashers" and "gushers" separated, then what was their purpose originally and what is their purpose now?"

Traditionally they were never about keeping "bashers" and "gushers" seperated, but merely to allow each camp an outlet where like-minded individuals can discuss something under a common reference point.

The point being that discussion outside of that focused discussion, involving everyone regardless of which side they're on would/could be more productive because the most extreme basher/gusher points of discussion could be limited to the appropriate basher or gusher thread where it wouldn't have to molest anyone else's delicate sensibilities or be molested by anyone's delicate sensibilities.

15. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Well then it looks as though people like me who do not belong to either the basher's or gusher's ranks will not be able to enjoy the TPM forum again. The moderators there are not interested in putting and end to it, because they prefer to keep it going. They are as much a part of the basher gusher phenomenon as anyone else in those exclusive clubs.

I was hoping to remove the exclusive cliques from TPM forum, but apparently, the basher's and gushers are there to stay aren't they?

If that forum isn't going to be about TPM and is instead skewed to keeping the basher and gusher war alive, then my dream of bridging the gap between fans has failed.

If TFN chooses to ignore this problem then it will continue until the end of time.

16. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    How can one thread in one forum do that, though? I'm only asking.

17. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    There are two threads, and most of the valid discussion about TPM happens there, where I can not participate.

All I get are the "hey how do you get to the bloopers reel on the DVD" threads.

18. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    I guess what I see is a forum with like 100 pages, 25 threads per page, of which these two threads comprise less than 1%. If you like the forum as much as you say you do, then post around those threads and enjoy the forum. It doesn't mean the whole forum is doomed.

19. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Go-Mer...
    "Well then it looks as though people like me who do not belong to either the basher's or gusher's ranks will not be able to enjoy the TPM forum again."

?!? Why does it even matter what people are doing in threads that you choose not to take part in.

You're free to take part in them or ignore them.

So, why not allow other fans the same freedom you have?

20. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Which is why I'm always saying to moderate the behavior and not the opinion.

21. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    I wish I had the freedom they had.

I am not allowed in those threads (well Strillo has just weclomed me back to the defense force thread yesterday), which may only be 2 out of so many, but look at how big each one is. It's where all the relevant discussion about TPM is taking place.

22. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Go-Mer,
    If I may make an observation, I think you're going about this in reverse.

Instead of trying to remove the two "most valid threads" in the forum because you personally choose not to take part in them, how about creating and taking part in the kinds of valid discsussions you wish you could take part in.

Try raising the standards of the forum to the standards you desire, instead of lowering the ones you don't use to your current undesirable level by removing what you think are the most valid threads there.

One solution can make everyone happy, while yours seems to make you happy at the expense of others.

23. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    You're allowed wherever you want on these boards.

24. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    No, Quix has re established in this very thread that he considers me to be such a problem in the basher's sanctuary, that if I post there ever again, I am to be permabanned from TFN.

It doesn't matter if I am trolling or not anymore as far as he is concerned.

I would love to participate in the BS.

25. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    No offense, but that appears to be a bit of paranoia. If you were that much of a problem, you'd be banned. You cannot be told that you are not allowed to post in a certain thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.