main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Uncharted: The Story of Nathan Drake

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Asterix_of_Gaul, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    I just got Uncharted 1&2 last month and I absolutely love these games. Working on crushing mode for UC2 and will then go back a replay crushing on the first one...so, yeah, can't wait until 3 comes out.

2. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Crushing is aptly named. You can spend 10 minutes painstakingly clearing an area only to walk around the corner and die in 1 shot from some hidden enemy. Ugh.

3. Sebulba-X

Mar 11, 2000
    Well, there's a glitch(?)/cheat that lets you enable one shot kills & unlimited ammo in Uncharted 2...that, and using the cheap method to kill the final boss allowed me to beat it without too much trouble. I should feel guilty about that, but at this point I'd rather play UC2 multiplayer and/or dive into my backlog of games, after I get thru Crushing #1. Best I can tell, there's no such short cuts for that, so I'm mentally preparing for the long haul. lol

4. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Yes I only played (for a while) on Crushing for #1.

Enjoy that stupid shootout in the shallow water room. I hated that enough on hard.

5. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Blind-fire is your friend on Crushing in Uncharted 1. That and being extremely patient as thugs just won't go down (unless you happen to be very good at lining up headshots in a second). Though personally I hated the ruins shootout more (where you're trying to reach your plane), as that had so many waves to deal with. I actually completed the game on Crushing once, that was my last trophy so I got the Platinum trophy... and then my PS3 died a few months after that. And I forgot to have a back-up of the completed game file. Oh well, that taught me to be more paranoid about backing up data, and at least the Platinum trophy is still there thanks to PSN.

I kind of afraid to try Crushing on Uncharted 2 though, as in UC1, there was almost always some cover to hide behind, but in UC2 there were a few instants where you're just running for your life and the screen already goes grey then. I shudder to think what that would be like on the higher difficulties, unless they really tweaked the mechanics (so that you won't die to five shots or something like that).

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Why? It's a cheap boss so he deserves a cheap method of despatch. Now if it were a boss worthy of fighting fair, that'd be a different matter.

Yakuza 3 is quite good in this respect.

7. divinerose

divinerose Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 15, 2009
    I picked up my library's copy of Uncharted and absolutely LOVED it. Well, until I got to those zombie things. I got so creeped out that one of my friends had to finish the game for me. :p

But I bought my own copy of Among Thieves and played that one to the end. It improved on absolutely everything from the first game and is definitely a game I don't regret buying.

Can't wait until Uncharted 3! November seems so far away right now.

8. whateveritis12

whateveritis12 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 29, 2008
    Ok I've gotta ask, what is the cheap way to be Lazaravic in UC2?

What really sucks for me is that I was playing through UC2 on Crushing to get that medal, but while I was playing through it, my mom's boyfriend's son was also playing the game. So it ends up I finish the game and I don't get credit for beating it on Crushing. Frustrating, haven't picked up the game since.

But I've played through both games and have loved both. Definitely waiting for the third one.

9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    There's a ledge in the middle of the arena that you can get on, Lazarevic follows but the angle of the shotgun blasts means he doesn't hit you and there's a couple of blue sacs near it which means, so long as you have pistol ammo, you can kill him. You have to move a little to keep him in place but it's much easier.

10. Sebulba-X

Mar 11, 2000
    Yeah, this is how I did it...and if it isn't clear exactly, here's a video of it. I spent about an hour on Hard trying to defeat him before I read about this, and then when I reached him in Crushing I defeated him my first try.

Also, for UC2, here's the method you use to unlock tweaks in Crushing even though you haven't earned the right to use them yet:

1. Play through crushing until you get a gun in chapter 1
    2. Pause
    3. Change the difficulty to whatever you have unlocked tweaks on
    4. Enable Tweaks
    (definitely use 1-shot kills & unlimited ammo, but you can unlocked weapons too)
    5. Save and quit to main menu
    6. Go to options and change difficulty back to what you originally chose
    7. Continue

I actually was on chapter 5 when I tried this and it worked...and you only have to do it once, so if you save & quit, or even if the game freezes, you don't have to redo this.

There are no short cuts with UC1 that I know about, but there are a few good strategies out there for making the most difficult levels a ton easier, particularly after you climb down the rope in the plane wreck area & the swallow water blue room. Zombie levels still creep me out.

11. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    Hm, gotta try that method out some time for the final boss. Otherwise, not sure how you're supposed to avoid getting killed by a shotgun blast or grenades on the higher difficulties. I'm really tempted to try out those tweaks on UC2, like maybe unlimited RPGs, but I'll at least try to hold back for tougher parts of the game at least.

And yeah, the zombie levels of UC1 are still creepy. Although I found them relatively easier than the rest of the game on higher difficulties as those things don't shoot back, so its just a matter of gunning them down fast enough from a safe distance.

12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    It's one of the few times you end up thanking God the AI isn't better otherwise the trick'd never work.

If they'd made it so he wasn't totally immune to fire it might have worked, you shoot his kneecap 2-3 times he falls, you leg it, if you break line of sight you get an ambush cance and just whittle him down, but a chase sequence combined with boss fight with UC2 controls... Game just isn't designed for that, Fallout 3 is, UC2 isn't.

13. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
  14. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
  15. quad_gun_jinn

quad_gun_jinn Jedi Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    I was dying for him to say "get off my plane!"

16. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    I've heard about that, but I don't want to accidentally spoil myself too much, and I think Nate did something like "get off my train" during Uncharted 2 (I should probably gotta get around to replaying through the first two games before the third one comes out, just to brush up). This game is going to be so awesome. Just a little over a week to go.

17. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
  18. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    Hell yes. This game is going to be so awesome (although its up against a lot of competition this year). Although some of the other reviews I've seen around don't rank it quite as highly as IGN did (although a 10/10 sounds really awesome and is quite rare on that site), 1UP has it slightly less than the second installment actually, but all the scores are all still very high, so this is going to be a great game, although there was never much doubt.

19. Asterix_of_Gaul

Asterix_of_Gaul Jedi Master star 5

Sep 13, 2007
    This is the best thing ever.

20. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Anyone get the game today? Xplay had the rating of 4 out of 5 for it.

21. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    I've got it, been playing through it for the last few hours. It is definitely a very good game, but... hm, not quite sure if it matches Uncharted 2 yet. IGN gave it a perfect 10 (quite rare), and most of the other reviews I've seen have ranged from 4/5 to at least 90% or the equivalent, so that's a pretty good record so far. Not quite as unanimous praise as for Uncharted 2, but still a very good reception. Maybe its due to my own overhype, but still, definitely one of the best games of this year, and the graphics and music are still gorgeous as ever. Now back to playing.

22. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Picked this up last night coming home from work, and played through the first couple hours of the single-player campaign. The story? Definitely better-defined (and somewhat richer) than in Uncharted 2, and the rapport between Nathan and Sully is still terrific.

That said, from what I've experienced so far (in Chapter 2, playing as Young Nathan in Colombia), you'll almost never get lost in this game. The platforming sections usually involve the already-familiar scaling and wall-jumping everyone knows so well by this point, but things seem way more linear than in the past two games, for some reason.

A minor nitpick, though -- but I'm surely not alone in seeing a very clear "Last Crusade" homage going on, here. As always, it's the characters themselves who keep you coming back for more. And some of the setpiece-moments just in the first couple chapters alone brought a huge, dumb smile to my face (like the bar-fight sequence).

Also, Graham McTavish can add yet another "Lead Thug #2" role to his resumé...

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    A review in PS3M, a UK mag had one criticism of the game which was that it was uneven in its difficulty, with some vicious spikes towards the end, any truth to that for those who have it?

24. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    I only got to play a couple hours of it last night, but I'm loving it so far. I am a bit baffled by all the fist fighting though. The gun play has always been one of the best parts of the series.

25. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    Hm, there's some difficult areas, but they're scattered through the game. I've already played the first two Uncharted games a lot, so I'm pretty familiar with the mechanics and how the fights are typically set up, so not sure what counts as big spikes in difficulty. Some of the stealth areas are really annoying until you get the hang of them too. For those areas, you really should hang onto your silencers. And the enemies are a lot more aggressive in this one- some areas you've got lots of guys, including some armored ones, swarming your position. The ship graveyard area, while really cool looking, was really annoying for me since trying to find good cover is difficult with bad guys on ships all around you not to mention the water going up and down. Almost kind of like multiplayer actually with how they'll sneak up behind you. And while the physics engine for this game is quite good, with the rocking/sinking ship, airplane and the normal crumbling city, its really annoying trying to shoot someone when the ground keeps going up and down not to mention being stunned either by near-misses from grenades, rockets and the grenade launchers (which often manage to land right next to your cover so take them out fast).

I finished the game today, its really good, but... hm, I might be influenced by other reviews (other than IGN's), but I think I liked the second game better than this one, although that's partially due to the story. This one is still very good, but it doesn't amaze me quite as much as UC2, not quite as many epic moments. And one thing is missing that for me is very annoying- in previous Uncharted games, you could easily rewatch cutscenes once you passed that part of the game. Here, doesn't seem like there's a cutscene viewer option. Not sure why they took it out, now you have to replay through chapters to see those scenes. Which isn't that hard, but still, I really miss that feature. Unless I just haven't found it yet. Glancing online, I don't think its in there. I hope they can remedy that with an update or something.

The focus this time is definitely on Nate and Sully though. As shown in trailers and gameplay, both Elena and Chloe show up, but neither play as much of a role as they did in previous games. We do get quite a bit of background on Nate. And on the bright side, there is no annoying final boss fight like there was in UC2. Several areas did drive me crazy though. The melee combat has been really expanded, but... its still nowhere near as good as something like Arkkam Asylum/City though. You can throw grenades back too, if you're quick enough, although that mechanic could use some refinement too.

Major spoilers for the entire game-
    There's a chapter where we see Nate and Sully meet, 20 years ago with young Nate and Sully and we get some other tidbits of background about Nate (as well as I think an answer about whether his ancestry). Although Nate is kind of a jerk in this one with his obsession and everybody else is a bit wary once they start getting some inklings of who they're up against, and the mind trip portions of the game are... strange. At least its a nice twist on the supernatural angle. There are no monsters this time, fortunately none of them are as annoying as the Shambhala Guardians were, apparently the Fire Spirits are due to Nate being drugged at the moment, so that's a nice twist on the supernatural angle. A bit more explanation about the "Djinn" that poisoned the water might've been nice (sorta like how we saw what happened to those who opened the El Dorado casket), but at least Nate stopped them and Sully got at least a few gold coins during the whole ordeal. While UC2 is probably the best game of the series so far, I liked UC1's story the best- didn't have their discoveries stolen by the bad guys so often, and the ending was