main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Uncharted: The Story of Nathan Drake

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Asterix_of_Gaul, Dec 12, 2010.

1. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I know everyone is working on Uncharted 3 right now, but I just finished 2 and OH MAN.

What an awesome, beautiful game. Shambhala was amazing. Tibet was stunning.

Those natives at the end were ******* frustrating. Until I started using a shotgun. Five or six hits and they were down.

Lazaravic was pretty easy too. Sure I played it about 20 times, but I got it.

Great game. Hoping for good things with Uncharted 3, when I eventually get it.

2. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    For some strange reason you can one-shot the natives with their own crossbows.

I, as you seem to have, pumped shot after shot into them getting really hacked off, I resorted to using a crossbow after running out of ammo.

3. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    Well I started with an AK-47, and got REALLY pissed because a bullet from that is like a fly. Then I switched to an M4, did a little more damage, then just said Damn it all to hell, I'm gonna use a SAS-12, which I don't use often. After that it was pretty easy.

But yeah the crossbows are really effective, I just disregarded them because they only had 4 shots and I didn't want to keep picking up ammo constantly (which I guess is what I did with the shotgun anyway lol)

NOTE: Played on Normal. You people who played on crushing are nucking futs.

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    The BIG Q: Is there anything in Uncharted 3 that tops Uncharted 2's greatest contribution to gaming? ie. THE train level?

5. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I almost broke my PS3 in half on that level. That Lt. dude gave me so much trouble but yeah that whole train level was epic.

6. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    This is a matter of opinion, although I think this is in line with most of the reviews I've seen on the Internet, but the answer is no, sadly. There are some really neat environments, the graphics are still gorgeous, although they've changed some of the characters models a bit, but nothing matches the train level. The train level of Uncharted 2 really was magnificent, not only was it so long, but I love that part where Nate climbs into that turret and finally has some serious firepower to take on one of those gunships ("How the hell am I suppose to take down a hel-lo." [face_laugh]).

Though personally I like the tank level later on in the game a lot too. There are plenty of wonderful set-pieces in Uncharted 3, but not quite sure anything in UC3 matches moments like the train. The game is also 22 chapters long, just to mention, a bit shorter than previous ones. Although at least there is no really long dragged out final boss fight in this one (considering how hard and how long it takes to beat Lezaravic in UC2 I'm not too keen on trying that battle on higher than normal difficulty).

And also don't have to deal with any really, really tough Shambala guardians this time. Its not so much they took forever to beat, but ugh, their crossbows almost seem like semi-automatic sometimes, yet were sometimes really accurate. I always presumed their crossbows were coated in something, maybe the tree's sap, which is why they're so effective against their own kind too. UC3 has its highlights too, of course, just most of them aren't quite as memorable after UC2. Uncharted is an awesome series, just that Uncharted 2 casts a very big shadow.

I think most of the heavier weapons are good against the guardians, just too bad the first time you fight them you only have AK-47s, I think. At least there are shotguns and GAUs to grab later on (if only GAUs didn't make you such an easy target though). That big battle in that room near the end of the game is just crazy.

7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Heh, who doesn't like that bit?

I hated the tank level but I probably need to re-play it, is one of those levels where once you know where to go it's probably easier.

And yeah the Shambala were greatly irritating, as was the final boss fight. I'm quite inclined to the argument that boss fights in games are becoming obsolete.

8. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    "Chapter 12 - Abducted!" Probably my favorite one, so far. In Chapter 17 right now, as of last night (in the cargo-plane hold). About to hit number 18, of which I've heard great things.

And Charlie Cutter is actually a good guy? Huh. Interesting twist, considering how the beta went. Thought this would be another "snarling McTavish" character. He actually made me appreciate him when he started in his little dialogue about movies, etc.

(Also, did Naughty Dog ever establish how Charlie and Elena knew each other beforehand?)

9. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
  10. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    I'd argue that the section after Kidnapped on the various boats, crawling all around the wrecked and rotting ships, then killing all the guys around during that storm and using the RPG-7 to destroy the other boat and jumping aboard the cruise ship. I can't wait to go aboard that thing. Loving this game, and I might be liking it more than 2, but I haven't quite finished it yet.

11. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    Just got my plat in this last night...fantastic game, but I'd have to give the edge to UC2 as the best in the series. This one is a good balance of the best of the previous two though...the puzzles of one and the action of 2, but the hidden city in 3 seemed like a retread of 2. There were some nice loose ends left for UC4, so it will be interesting to see where they go with the series.

Ship graveyard thru the luxury liner was probably my favorite levels/sequence...enjoyed the sinking ship one too, until I tried to get past it on Crushing...stupid ballroom checkpoint left me stranded with crap weapons and little ammo, but after that I cruised thru the rest of the game with little trouble. Story wise, I enjoyed going back in time to see Drake & Sully meeting...and the lack of scary monsters coming out of nowhere, lol, besides the swarms of spiders and drug induced Ghost Riders (fyi - these guys die really easily with 2-3 shots of the Tau Sniper pistol, even on Crushing, just try to take them out one at a time...once you shoot them once, they get their demon flame on and really start messing with you, but before that, the behave like regular baddies)

Going to take a break from it now to jump into AC Revelations, but I definately want to play thru the mini-story Co-Op missions at some point. I like the fact that you can do this via split screen with someone next to you. Still not big on mulitplayer, but this and AC are more up my alley than other types.

12. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    I did really like the vagueish mystery paranormal thing this time around. There was the djinn sure, but that was just basically mentioned in dialogue, nothing more. And the ghost rider guys are just chalked up to Drake's hallucinations.

But overall, I gotta give 3 the edge. I thought there was way better character development, and I really feel they stepped it up in making some really great set pieces. Even though it did basically copy wholesale from The Last Crusade. But that's cool. I love TLC.

13. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I finished this a few days ago. Loved it. But because I sucked at sneaking there were some tough parts that I would find impossible on crushing (see: Elena + Drake sneaking through the airport. I hate shotguns and sniper enemies.)

That graveyard + cruise ship level was awesome. S-X, how's crushing compared to the other games?

14. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    It's probably the easiest out of the 3. I'm not the best at games to begin with, and I die a lot, but the check points are frequent and generous. #1 is definately the hardest, hands down...2 wasn't too bad (frequent check points, etc), plus you can use the enable cheats work around I mentioned towards the beginning of this thread, plus the final boss strategy. You don't have cheats for #1, but there are strategies to some of the most difficult spots (ie, not jumping into the Blue Room fight, just hang on the ledge to trigger the fight, then climb back up). You don't have any of those problems in this one...sadly, while you can make it go even faster by skipping the movies, you still have to wander the desert again (which was cool, storywise the first time, but ZZzzzzzzzzz for the 2nd).

The fight in the ship ballroom was the only spot where I thought I'll never make it thru, and it took me nearly 3 hours to finally beat. My main problem was I got to the midway checkpoint with the Mag5 and an AK with only 60 bullets, making it really difficult to take out the 4 snipers and gernade launcher guys on the balcony. I should have grabbed the Tau Sniper pistol at the beginning of the room, which would have made for a different experience.

Just before that, on the deck vs the heavily armored huge machine gun guy was a place I've read people having problems...but I had kept the Mag 5 that I picked up earlier and took him out pretty quickly (on my 2nd try) with headshots. The only other spot I had difficulty was the beginning of the fight in the settlement where you have to get a gun first...you can get bogged down there too, but I ran forward towards the stair case during the fight and it set off the check point (not on purpose)...I quickly died, but I restarted at the next section.

I had a terrible time on Normal fighting the fire demons, but on crushing I kept the Tau Sniper and just took them on one by one, 2 or 3 shots and they were toast. It gets a little crazy in the last section of that fight, so I may have gotten lucky there when I eventually cleared it.