main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:WA Under 15's free at the Royal Show, what do you think?

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by FaLLeN-AnGeL, Sep 24, 2004.

?

Under 15's free at the Royal Show, what do you think?

Poll closed Oct 4, 2004.
  1. Spend the money on the children, they deserve to have fun.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Spend the money on hospitals, they need the help.

7 vote(s)
    100.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FaLLeN-AnGeL

FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
  2. FaLLeN-AnGeL

FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    I'll try and re-cap the story a bit. If anyone can provide clearer details, please do. But from what I understand, Gallop has decided to use $1.75 million of taxpayers money letting children under 15 into the Royal Show for free if they hand over one of the two coupons found in one of the newspapers (I can't remember which).

There has been a big backlash about this because that money could have been put to a better use, the examples that were given were hospitals and the Suicide Hotline, who apparently desperately need the money.

The only news story I could find on the matter is here: Gallop attacked over Show handout. That's all I could find, even though channel 7 just showed the news story, they don't have it anywhere on their website...

What do you guys think? Where would you spend the money?

3. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    As much as I agree that kids deserve a bit of fun and this would make things a bit easier for the parents, I voted for option 2.

I know how hard it is for some parents to take their children to the show, I believe I only went once before I turned 16 due to being in a single parent situation.

But.

If places like the suicide hotline need the money I would rather see it go there. Maybe the Gallop government can dig deep next time Telethon or Appealathon come around donate a million or so.

What good is it letting the kiddies in free if they have health problems down the track that this money could have helped, or if they ring the suicide helpline and their is noone to answer the phones ?

4. Mindstorm

Mindstorm Jedi Youngling

Sep 22, 2004
    I agree with the second option.... hospitals will always be more important then royal shows... They say that the hospitals are unstaffed and over full, why dont they put the money towards the hospital, so then when the kids hurt themselves at the Royal Show they are promised a hospital bed, instead of having to stand around and wait....

5. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    Sure, bring up the financial strain on single parents taking their kids to the show all you like, but aside from entry, they still have to buy food, showbags and pay for rides once they're in.

I'm sure any parent in financial hardship would rather know their child can get access to medical care than know they can get into the show for free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.