Under age drinking.

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Captain-Communist, Jun 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darkside_Spirit Jedi Knight

star 3
    Furthermore, the title of this thread is "Under age drinking", not "Under age drinking in the United States". As such, it deals with the global situation in all countries, and so United States law is really irrelevant.
  2. GrandAdmiralPelleaon Force Ghost

star 6
    Ha, under age drinking is nearly impossible here seeing as it's legal as soon as you're 16. (and even if your not, nobody cares.)
  3. Coolguy4522 Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Well most of the people on this board live in the US, and the original intent of the poster most likely was talking about the US, just because they didn't mention the US doesn't mean that the US is irrelevant. I am not saying that the rest of the world is irrelevant, but most of us don't really care about under age drinking in Chile.
  4. Master-Jedi-Smith Jedi Master

star 4
    I disagree. I love to hear the opinions of others in the world. It is narrow minded to only care about just the U.S. The JC is a great opportunity for you to expand your knowledge of the world. I suggest we all take advantage of that.

Latre! :D
  5. Aanix_Durray Jedi Master

star 4
    I have to admit to drinking (and not always responsibly), and I am underage for America, but I also dissagree with the laws on age in America. I think it's stupid that you can fight and die for your country and can't have a beer, or can get married but can't have champagne at your wedding.

I think that alchohol wouldn't be such a big problem if people we're exposed to it in a less sever way, and if it wasn't so "taboo" nowadays, that only makes it more appealing for the people who are underage.

~~Aanix
  6. Captain-Communist Jedi Knight

star 3
    No I was reffering to the World, I am not Xenophobic. But lets talk about some Communist countries like Russia, and Cuba.
  7. Lessa Jedi Knight

star 1
    All right, if we're talking about the whole world...

It seems to me that the rest of the world has very different opinions about alcohol than the U.S. When I was 16, I spent the summer in Europe. My first alcohol-related incident happened on the plane in Paris, when the flight attendent offered me beer. Coming from the U.S. I thought that was downright hilarious, so I ordered a beer. A few minutes later, I discovered that I did not like the taste of beer. So. I have never drunk another drop of beer since then.

However, I did develop a taste for wine. While in Italy, we had wine with dinner almost every night. There is no minimum drinking age in Italy, I think, and everywhere else it's 16. In some countries, it's 18, but no one ever asked me for ID. Oh, and it was really nice to go grocery shopping by myself and pick up a bottle of wine.

IN general, I think people drink much more moderately in Europe. I mean, you see all these 7-year-olds in restaurants drinking wine with their parents, but I never saw anyone binge drinking or totally drunk or anything.

Of course, a lot of these countries also have different alcohol limits for driving. In some, if you have a single drop of alcohol in your bloodstream, you can't drive. I think if the U.S. adopted a similar policy, it might work, because all the drunk drivers seem to be people who think that they can drink 14 six-packs without going over the legal limit.

I do think that the U.S.'s laws on underage drinking are unfair. Age limits, in general, are arbitrary things. Better to set a low age limit and ignore it, methinks. :)
  8. Kit' Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Face it a party without alcohol is a lot less fun then a party with alcohol.

I would strongly disagree with this statement! About six months ago I had to stop drinking because I started on a certain type of medication. Okay, now most of my friends are drinkers and even though I don't drink a lot of alcohol, I might have something as a social drink.

However, as it was my 19th birthday and my flatmates and I decided to have a party, we suddenly found that we were in a dilemma. I couldn't drink alcohol, but everyone else could, as seeing as they didn't want everyone getting smashed and me having to be the person to pick them up as the only non-drinker we came up with something different.

A sugar party. Now imagine all the sugary foods you can get from your supermarket and throw them together for a party. We had fruitloops and chocolate crackles, fairy bread and shots of red cordial...people really enjoyed themselves after a while and it loosened tongues and everything else the same way that alcohol normally does.

As for the underage drinking I say allow it, dont' neccessarily encourage it. But teach kids about drinking in moderation, teach them to drink at home in a safe environment where they can learn the difference between so smashed your throwing up, and simple fun. Teach them NOT to drink and drive...that way when they hit the legal age thing, it isn't neccesarily such a big thing to them that they need to go out and get pissed every night.

Just my opinion.
    Kit
  9. Master-Jedi-Smith Jedi Master

star 4
    What other reason is there to drink?

The only reason I drink is to get smashed. Going through college, I became a binge drinker.

Alcohol has an effect on people, correct? Why else would you drink if not to feel that sensation.

I don't have a drink unless I intend on getting a good buzz, or smashed, otherwise, I see no reason to do it.

Then again, maybe this is the by product of America's underage drinking laws. We learn to drink as much as we can, as fast as we can because we don't want to get caught drinking, and in my case, this has carried over to the way I drink now.

As other have said, when the laws are less restrictive, they don't see people getting smashed, but only drinking casually.

Who knows.

10. AmadeusExMachina Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Sometimes you drink to get smashed, but not usually.

Most of the time, in my case, I only drink enough to calm down and be comfortable at a party or something. Drinking lowers inhibitions.

Although getting smashed is a fine time.
  11. JediTre11 Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't have time to read everyones post, but I will. So if someone mentioned this consider it a second. I have a friend that grew up in Singapore and he told me about the different philosophy of responsibility. They let the kids drink before they let them drive. That way they can learn to deal drinking and the effects that it has before they leran to drive. It seemed to me that wouldn't have much of an effect on drunk driving statistics but I lost quite a few friends in High School with this and he didn't lose any.
  12. Darth_Nemesis Jedi Youngling

star 3
    As far as I'm concerned, if you can be drafted at 18, you can drink at 18.
  13. anakin_girl Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    What is up with you people who drink to get smashed? Is waking up next either a) next to a very ugly person, b) with rug burns on your face, c) someplace where you have no idea where you are, d) feeling like your entire head is being clamped with a vice, or e) hugging the toilet, smelling like vomit and covered with it, or f) all of the above--is this kind of thing fun? You can't be serious. It can't even be worth whatever escape from reality that you receive for a couple of hours.

No thanks--pass the iced coffee. At least I'll wake up tomorrow morning and actually remember what I said and did tonight.
  14. Garli Pesan Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, I fully and completely support underage drinking, and that's mostly from personal experience.

Now I'm 21 so it's not really a personal issue, but from personal experince, it seems to me you need to start drinking early to learn how to handle your self.

I have always been allowed to have a glass of wine or a beer with dinner. When I was in jr high I started drinking with my friends. By the time I could drive I knew my limits, and we always had a designated driver.

When I got to college many people (including my roomate) really had no experience drinking. They would drink too much, throw up every time, make a fool out of them self, and wake up with a lot of different people.

I like drinking. I don't like getting sick, so I don't. I don't like making a fool out of my self on a regular basis (once in a while makes for good stories.) I've never missed a class or something important because I was hung over. I play on three teams (2 varisty, one club) and am the president of two clubs. I don't think that drinking has in any way had a negative effect on my life.

A lot of the time a few people give a good thing a bad rap by being jerks. Don't base your oppinion on after school specials.
  15. AmadeusExMachina Jedi Youngling

star 3
    "Is waking up next either a) next to a very ugly person, b) with rug burns on your face, c) someplace where you have no idea where you are, d) feeling like your entire head is being clamped with a vice, or e) hugging the toilet, smelling like vomit and covered with it, or f) all of the above--is this kind of thing fun?"

I've gotten wasted several times, had a great time at it, and I've never thrown up, had a painful hangover, had regrettable sex, or anything else like that.

Your post, as many other anti-drinking posts in this thread have before it, sounds extremely inexperienced and extremely filled with stereotypes you've collected from various media sources.

It's very possible to get very drunk, have a good time, and have no negative consequences.

Strange but true, or maybe I'm just amazingly talented at drinking and never knew it.
  16. anakin_girl Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Garli and Amadeus: I'm 30 years old. I haven't watched an after-school special in 20 years. You know nothing about my life, and I resent the implication that my ideas about drinking come from media rather than life experience.

I have seen many lives be destroyed by drinking. Alcohol causes half of all fatal car crashes in America and is the number-one destroyer of marriages. While I have seen people who can have a glass of wine or a beer and stop, the people you are referring to--the ones who get drunk--are the ones who have already lost control, and are on their way to destroying not only themselves but also the people around them.

Amadeus: I notice you're from the UK, and personally I think that attitudes towards alcohol are healthier in Europe, because people (at least when I was there) were not drinking for the sole purpose of getting drunk--they would try a certain wine for the taste, etc. If that was the only reason anyone ever drank, and if no one ever became an alcoholic and destroyed themselves and everyone around them, I would have nothing against drinking. But that isn't how it works.

I'll say it again--there is no reason in the world why anyone should need to get wasted. If you haven't had a hangover or done something completely stupid while you were drunk, it's not because you're some kind of brilliant expert at holding your liquor--it's because you've been lucky so far.
  17. Darth_Nemesis Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Anakin girl, apparently you have never really been drunk. People still can control what they do, they are one either alot goofier than they were, or two a lot meaner than they were. Not to remember what you did the night before, is when you've had way too much, and I agree is stupid. And it takes alot of drinking to get to that point. I don't necessarily support under age drinking although I do it, but I think the age should be 18.
  18. anakin_girl Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    "Anakin girl, apparently you have never really been drunk. "

ROTFLMAO.

Thanks, Nemesis. I haven't heard one that good in a long time.
  19. sleazo Jedi Master

star 4
    Well anakin girl, i can understand where you are coming from as to how drinking can destroy lives. However that does not mean that this happens to most of the people who drink. I personally like a nice wine with dinner or a good appertif or digestif. Alcohol goies really well with food and they bring out each others flavors. Occasionally i like to get piss wasted, not very often but sometimes, usually i have a lot of fun when i do so. The hangovers are not so fun, i agree, but you deal with it(or take my remedy of a spoonful of extra virgin olive oil, tall glass of watere and a mega vitamin b before bed, always works, just need to rememeber to do so). All i am saying is that some people can have a good time with it, not drive drunk or become alcoholics.
    While i feel sorry for those who have been the victims of a driunk driuver or an abusive parent or spouse, i enjoy drinking. It is not a black and white issue. You have to look at it from other's perspectives.
  20. DESERTJEDI Jedi Master

star 4
    thats true, I drink beer but, quit getting drunk years and years ago, too painful as you get older :p.

As for underage drinking I think its wrong, when I was underage I drank and I thought it was right but, as i get older I realize that kids are out of control when they drink,

wait I guess 99% of adults are too. :)
  21. anakin_girl Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    sleazo: I can see your point, since 90 percent of the population can handle their liquor just fine; and it never bothers me when people do what you were talking about as far as having a glass of wine or a cocktail with a meal. If people always handled alcohol this way, I wouldn't be in favor of prohibition. I've gone out with friends and been the only one not drinking, but they've had one or two beers or glasses of wine and sipped them for a couple of hours, so it didn't phase me at all. I just get really pissed when I see people extolling the virtues of drunkenness, as if it were something everyone should do.
  22. DESERTJEDI Jedi Master

star 4
    As far as the media I think its funny how they have a commericial telling you not to smoke pot, then right after show a budweiser commericial of young people having fun with alcohol. when in reality alcohol destroys more lives in one day than pot has in 100 years.

thats another topic all in its self though.
  23. sleazo Jedi Master

star 4
    Anakin Girl- I hope i wasnt extolling the values of extreme drunkeness. It occasionally happens, but there are ramifications to doing it. Like verything else alcohol should be enjoyed in moderation.
  24. anakin_girl Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    sleazo: You weren't, but the posters above you were. And like I said, if everyone enjoyed alcoholic beverages in moderation and no one got drunk and did stupid things or otherwise allowed alcohol to have any power over their personal lives, or killed other people while they were at it, I would be in favor of no drinking age, and I would be a drinker myself.

DESERTJEDI: I agree with you.
  25. Master-Jedi-Smith Jedi Master

star 4
    anakin_girl

I am going to go with letter f)all of the above! :)

Like I have said before, I don't drink all the time. On average, once a week. But when I do, I go all out. What need is there for me to waste my money on drinks if I don't feel any of the affects?

I use to be one of those that said "I will never drink" and "I don't need to drink to have fun." And to tell the truth, I don't.

But in order for me to have fun at a bar, party, or special event, I need to drink. I am not very social, and I am very shy in public. I don't like going out and being around people. Never really have. But when I do go out, a few (oh, who am I fooling) a lot of drinks enhance my social skills. I can relax and do things I normally would not do because I would be afraid of acting like a fool.

I don't get into fights, damage property, or drive drunk. I hate angry drunk people. I do get carried away and have too many, act stupid, don't remember things, and wake up in strange places (like on my stairs or bathroom floor.) Do I like waking up the next day, hell no, but I know what will happen if I drink too much, but I have no one to blame but myself.

Perhaps I use it as a social crutch, but sometimes you need alittle help getting around. Does this mean I think kids underage should drink? No. My main point has been that they should not drink, but I know many of them will. So, instead of preaching to them not to, explain the types of things that will happen, the good and bad times. Tell them that it is their decision, but that there are consequences to making bad decisions. And if done responsibly, they can have an enjoyable time, except for the next day. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.