Under age drinking.

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Captain-Communist, Jun 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QueenLaniAmidala Jedi Knight

star 2
    I'm underage, and I've never had a drink before, for two reasons: First of all, it just doesn't appeal to me. My parents have let me taste their beer and wine, and it just doesn't taste good to me. I guess it's a taste that you aquire as you get older. Second of all, somebody please explain to me the point of getting drunk, vommiting, and passing out? What's fun about that? I know a LOT of teens do it where I live, and it's because it's boring as hell here (Grosse Pointe, MI, btw. No we're not all rich snobs. lol). But come on, there's gotta be SOMETHING to do that's better than getting smashed. The worst thing is that a lot of parents here actually supervise parties where underage kids (I'm talking 15 and 16 year olds) get drunk. It's the stupidest thing.
  2. anakin_girl Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    No kidding.

And I really don't think shyness is an excuse. People do not become more sociable when they drink--they become more obnoxious. When a drunk person, who might be too shy to talk to me sober, approaches me, I walk the other way. I don't want to smell the booze or hear any obnoxious pick-up lines or whatever from said person.

I also don't understand why any intelligent person would want to be high on a substance for three hours so they can feel rotten for the next 24. It's stupid.

3. Master-Jedi-Smith Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, I don't go up and talk to girls and try to pick them up (what a lame way to get to know somebody.) I'm talking about hanging out with people. Otherwise I would just sit there like a bump on a log and not talk at all. Which socially looks stupid, and makes other people think I don't like them or want to be there. (Which deep down is true!)

Plus, I don't drink for just 3 hours. If I'm going be hurting the next day, I'm going to drink for 6 to 8 hours. :)

Latre! :D
  4. Mister_Bunny Jedi Knight

star 3
    Gurli wrote: I like drinking.

Sounds good so far.

I don't like getting sick, so I don't.

I'm with you on that one! The people getting sick must be doing it because they like it, there could be no other reason.

I don't like making a fool out of my self on a regular basis (once in a while makes for good stories.)

You seem to contradict yourself right there.

I've never missed a class or something important because I was hung over.

You go to class hung over? Awesome!

I play on three teams (2 varisty, one club) and am the president of two clubs.

I think I see why you don't drink so much. What you need to do is drop one sport and resign your presidency, that will give you more drinking time.

I don't think that drinking has in any way had a negative effect on my life.

You're a fine example of an underage drinker! And you didn't finance terrorism by smoking the weed! Yippee!
  5. Obi-TriceKenobi Jedi Knight

star 1
    Drinking should be done after Drivers Ed. BEcasue that is when I first learned that you can die only if you ingest so much alcohol at one time but if you space the times out you will be ok.

This statement may be a little immature but I think it is very fun to get drunk.

Well I could chat with you guys about drinking some more but..... I would rather have a beer ;)

You dont have to get sick if you can control yourself, geez you guys are lightweights, and besides throwing up isnt that bad. I think most the people in here have never been drunk.
  6. anakin_girl Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Obi-Trice: I have, in my lifetime, been raging drunk, thrown up all over the carpet, passed out and woke up feeling like I'd been run over by a truck, the works. I think it's insulting to assume that those of us who think getting drunk is stupid, must think so because we've never been drunk.

I also think those of you who are making such light out of drunkenness have never had a problem with alcohol yourself nor have you ever known anyone who has. You wouldn't think it was such a joke otherwise.
  7. gwaernardel Jedi Master

star 4
    anakin_girl, I must agree with you. I have a couple relatives that are recovering alcoholics and I have seen what it can do. In America, it seems that there is no distinction between drinking and getting drunk.
    And DESERTJEDI, you should start a forum about this, as I also completely agree with you. At least when you're stoned off your arse, you can remember what you did the next day.
  8. Master-Jedi-Smith Jedi Master

star 4
    I hope I am not making drinking look like it is no big deal. My grandfather was an alcoholic, and when he died, he was in a recovery center.

Who doesn't drink, get hungover, and then say "Why do I do it?" or "I'll never do that again." I'm just wondering if those who felt this way never drank again?

I'll say it again, I waited until I was an adult to make this decision. It was up to me then whether I broke the law or not. But, some teens will not wait till they are 18. Unless you follow them around everywhere they go, there is nothing you can do to stop them from making that decision.

This is no different than other laws that are not always enforcable, like speeding. You know that you could get pulled over if caught, but I bet you still do it every now and then. If you want to use logic/not doing something stupid, you shouldn't speed because what fun is it to get pulled over, have people looked at you, get a ticket, and have to pay $60?

If we shouldn't drink to get drunk, why should we drink? Some people like the taste of alochol, I really don't. Some drinks taste ok, but I don't like it as a casual drink. I would rather have a lemonade or soda.

(I'm sorry, I don't mean to go on and on about this subject, but I think it's a pretty good discussion.)

9. Tayschrenn Jedi Master

star 4
    IMO,

I think it is a little bit unfair to lable people who like to drink. Be it under age drinking or normal.

I've had most of the same stories as everyone else about being drunk, i've had alcoholism problems in my family - my Grandfather was a horrible drunk and died because of it in the end.

Yet, despite all this, I don't look down on people who do like to drink and I think it is inappropriate for others to do so as well. We should respect what people want to do with themselves.

I've had alot of fun going out and having some drinks with friends, I enjoy the feeling after having a few. I hate being drunk and I always hate the aftereffects, but it can be enjoyable, and some people like it.

It's when a few drinks with friends turns into serious addiction and the like that we have problems and issues that really are to be dealt with/looked at. A few drinks (be it underage or normal) IMO, doesn't really matter. So what you get drunk every now and then? Its the price you pay. :)

Just a $.05,

Tayschrenn
  10. Kit' Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Having been around friends both as the smashed person and as the sober (carer) person, I can say that in my experiance really drunk people are obnoxious and often quite dangerous.

I've had friends throw up on me, kick me, throw bottles, walk onto busy streets infront of traffic, pass out in pools and generally behave like idiots.

The thing that I've found is that once they are that smashed or decide to get that smashed, they don't really care who they are going to hurt or whose life they are going to upset because they are drunk.

I'm not condeming drinking, I think it is a good thing if it is done in moderation and if kids are taught that it is okay to drink, to occasionally get smashed but not to do it every single party and still expect others to look after you...sometimes they just won't.

Kit

P.S: This applies to both under and legal drinkers.
  11. Vera Jedi Knight

In our country, you are adult when you are 18, so you can also drink from 18. (Long time ago communists wanted more young adult to vote them, so they lowered it from 21 to 18).

This time we've got are the highest alcohol consumers in a WHOLE world (our national drink is beer - we've got really good beers, for example Pilsner Urquel which I don't drink but you might have heard that trade mark). A lot of boys can drink 10 beers in a one day (two beers in Czech republic are equal to three in US) without any problem, so even 20.

I was at one camp six years ago, where most of the children weren't older than 15 and there were at least 10 of them addicted on alcohol.
  12. Gutter_Monkey Jedi Knight

star 3
    15 yr-olds addicted to booze! That's just scary.

I've decided not to drink at all in my lifetime beacuse I don't want to get addicted to it. Besides, I take so much medication, that it would probobly kill me outright.
  13. sleazo Jedi Master

star 4
    mmmm czech beer.
    Well i remember when i was living in praha, the bars were packed with people before 8:00am every day with guys drinking before work. It is cheaper to drink beer than water in the czech republic. The thing that i ddi notice is the people doing stupid things were not the locals however, it was the drunken foreigners. Most czechs i saw could handle their liquor very well.

I do have to say that i really enjoyed Czech beers, they were delicious and at under 50 cents a litre, the price cant be beat.
  14. DESERTJEDI Jedi Master

star 4
    sleazo, oh my god You beat me to it

Mmmmmm czech beer.

sleazo has been borrowing my brain again.
  15. Vera Jedi Knight

Yeah, foreiners use to fall under the table after two beers... We ARE accustomed to beed - You are having lunch at your grany and what does she offer to you? Beer :D etc....

In most of our shops beer isn't cheper than water (only in pubs - I don't know what you have visited more).

Good night (I'm not drunk, I'm from Europe so my watches shows 2.05am).
  16. sleazo Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah i loved my time there in the Czech republic. And the beer was a huge part of it. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM... Krusovice, Budvar, mmmmmm... absinthe
  17. EMPRESS Jedi Knight

star 3
    The first time I wanted to get srunk was about two months ago because my heart had been broken. I was wish 17- and 18-year old guys, and I fully expected them to let me get smashed. They were all drinkers to some degree, so I didn't think they would stand in my way.

I was wrong though, and I am extremely grateful for that. They refused to let me have any alcohol because they saw that I would be irresponsible with it. They didn't drink either, that night, since they knew if they did, I would be able to get at it. At the time, I was furious with them. All I wanted to do was get wasted so that I couldn't feel anything, and they wouldn't let me do that.

Those boys probably saved my life that night. I know now that if I had started drinking, I wouldn't have stopped until I passed out or worse. I would not have taken the precautions that they do when they drink, and they knew that.

They told me that when I was feeling better, maybe I could have a beer?but just one, and they would be watching me. They taught me how to drink responsibly (althought I don't. I still haven't had any alcohol without my parents permission) and they've made it clear that if I ever drink to excess, I won't even have to deal with my parents. I'll have to deal with them. So I know that they're watching out for me, and I'm glad of that. I know a great many people who could use the same kind of guidance.
  18. Obi-TriceKenobi Jedi Knight

star 1
    Alright here is the deal, all you people who have never been drunk, go out get moderately ****-Faced and then have a blast. Most of you people are just nerds that spend a life on TF.N. Just try a drink, you'll like it ;)

And honestly, I could care less about your grandpa. He must have been a retard to be addicted to alcohol.

Congrats on being the first person banned by me today for flaming geriatrics and profanity.
  19. DESERTJEDI Jedi Master

star 4
  20. Master-Jedi-Smith Jedi Master

star 4
    Wow OTK,

A little harsh on our grandfathers.
    (By the way, how did you know he was a retard? ?[face_plain] Very insightful!)

Anyway, weren't Trayschrenn and I in favor of drinking?

The issue though is not whether or not drinking is ok. The issue is, is underage drinking ok.

I say no, but it is going to happen anyway, so prepare them the best you can.

I'm going to get a drink! :p

21. IfAnakinLikedJazz Jedi Master

star 4
    I am 18 years old, living in the US......And ever since i was 14, my parents have either let me have a beer or a glass of wine at dinnertime, and i have aquired a taste for it. I first went to a party involving alcohol at the age of 16, and, not being very smart, got smashed beyond belief. Jello Shots, Sambuka, straight up Tequila, and the like. Passed out on the floor and did not wake up until 7:00 PM the next day. Needless to say, this was a wake-up call to me. I was grounded for a few months, and such. My parents, after that, told me all about the responsibilities that come with drinking alcohol, and are perfectly fine with me drinking, as long as I don't go overboard.

EDIT: I agree about the Pot. That stuff is virtually harmless, I still don't understand why it is illegal.
  22. Darth_Nemesis Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Let's face it, everyone has pretty much drank under age. I got ****faced for the first time when I was 15. I'm nearly 18 now and since then I've done it here and there, and it's fun if you do it once in a while. If you do it all the time.....well that's another problem.

Why don't people read the rules? Profanity - 48hr ban.
  23. Obi_TriceKenobi Jedi Padawan

Sorry if I offend anyone.
  24. Darth_Vader_ Jedi Knight

star 1
    Dacks, it all comes down to opinion. The French love munching on raw cow brains with cream sauce. Does it make it horrible? Well to most people yes, but in there culture, its nice cuisine.

But I rather go with a nice full rack of BBQ Ribs and Fries.
  25. JediTre11 Jedi Master

star 4
    First off, I've been plenty drunk, plenty of times. Just a note of my experience.

Second I don't think it is possible to prevent underage drinking. It is a large party of adult culture, in fact a defining part of being an adult is the ability to buy beer legaly. Being such a large part means that teens eager to be seen as adults are going to participate in the consumption of alcohol. To get rid of underage drinking would mean near prohibition, and we all know, perhaps even remember what happened to that amendment.

Kudos to Anakin_Girl for the defense of her positions.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.