main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Under rated and obscure composers and scores that you love

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Eugene_Meltsner_AIO, Jan 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eugene_Meltsner_AIO

Eugene_Meltsner_AIO Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2002
    Somewhat along the lines of the "Scores that need a [better] release" thread is this. What are some of the more under rated or obscure (or both) composers and scores that you wish had more exposure, a release, or both?

For me, Michael Tavera instantly stands out. The only two major scores for films I've seen are Rocket Man and Mr. Magoo, both Disney films, both pretty much flops. Still, the scores are fantastic! Sure, they're comedies (I know, Disney comedies, no less! Oh, puke!), but they both have catchy, memorable main themes (Rocket Man actually has two or three of them), and fun underscore. Watch Rocket Man (you'll live; I, for one, love it), and listen to the music for the scene when Fred is in the G-Force test ("I WANT MY MOM-MYYYY!"), and just try to tell me you honestly can't find that the least bit fun, easy to listen to, and hummable--or at least one of the three. If they released a score album for it, I'd buy it as soon as I could. Intrada, Varese, are you guys listening?

What about you guys?

2. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    I don't know who wrote the music for "Monty Python and the Holy Grail," but I really like it. :p

3. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    ousley -- the score was public domain music, mostly from DeWolfe.

In other news, I love the Dogma score (Howard Shore), particularly the bit that plays when Jay and Bob attack the triplets. (not on the album! :( )

Rick McCallum loves you!

4. winter_chili

winter_chili Jedi Master star 5

Nov 6, 2002
    yann tiersen, he did the score for amelie and some other french films

5. --Darth_Ganondorf--

--Darth_Ganondorf-- Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 25, 2003
    The Scorpion King. Some score freaks hate it because of the mere presence of an electric guitar. Not many people know about it, muchless care... :(

btw, John Debney did it

6. jamesdrax

jamesdrax Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2000
    Supergirl by Jerry Goldsmith - Not an obscure composer but the soundtrack is as hard to find as it is brilliant.

Gojira vs. MekaGojira by Akira Ifukube - I'm certainly not embarrassed to admit that I ordered this extremely rare 2-CD set from ebay, but it was worth it. An awesome score for a great Kaiju film!

Elizabeth by David Hirschfelder - Nothing special, I just love it.

Batman - Mask of the Phantasm by Shirley Walker - None of the original Danny Elfman Batman themes present, but still worth listening to, and has some interesting sounding (and unsettling) choral performances.

7. Eugene_Meltsner_AIO

Sep 9, 2002
    Ah, yes! The main titles alone are awesome on Batman: Mask of the Phantasm. I'm gonna have to get that.

8. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    The Evolution score by John Powell is excellent. From the humorous waltz for the evolving aliens to the Western-influenced main theme, this score is fun from start to finish.

The score to Antz is another excellent score, composed by both John Powell and Harry Gregson-Williams. I love anything these two guys do together.

And another obscure and underrated Goldsmith score I really like is King Solomon's Mines. Sure it's an Indy rip-off, but it still has great memorable tunes and exciting action music. It's also damn near impossible to find.

9. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    yes, ANTZ was one of the first scores I bought. Loved the movie, loved the music, had to have it. Nobody ever mentions either the movie or the music :(

10. charben01

charben01 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 28, 2001
    Yes, Antz is a cool, offbeat kind of score. One of my favorites is an obscure movie but everyone here knows the composer: SpaceCamp. I was lucky to get the Japanese CD years ago and it's a great Williams score.

11. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Harry Manfredini

John Carpenter

Jerry Goldsmith

12. Eugene_Meltsner_AIO

Sep 9, 2002
    And another obscure and unde Goldsmith score I really like is King Solomon's Mines. Sure it's an Indy -, but it still has great memorable tunes and exciting action music. It's also damn near impossible to find.

Intrada's selling it for 15 bucks plus shipping. Not sure how complete it is, but it looks like a pretty good release.

Spacecamp's a good call, too.

13. Well_Of_Souls

Aug 26, 2001
    I got my copy of King Solomon's Mines off Ebay a few months ago. There's a decent amount of music on it, about 60+ minutes of music in total.

14. jamesdrax

jamesdrax Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2000
    "Intrada's selling it for 15 bucks plus shipping. Not sure how complete it is, but it looks like a pretty good release."

Thanks for that info. I just bought it. I could have bought it at amazon.com for about USD$30 - $35... thank goodness I didn't.

:D

15. Monkeys_Uncle

Monkeys_Uncle Jedi Youngling

Dec 15, 2003
    I would have to say that Lisa Gerrard is definetly under-rated as a composer, and even a musician in her own right. She collaborated on films such as Gladiator, The Insider, and Ali. She composed the score for Whalerider by herself. People might recognise her as being a former half of the Australian duo - 'Dead Can Dance'.

16. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 27, 2003
    Hi people, I'm new in this forum...thought I'd pop in coz I love music and I am quite heavily involved in it myself. :)

The score for Little Women! :D -The version with Winona Ryder. The music is very moving and beautiful to listen to. It's one of my favourite things about the film.

Sadly I haven't been able to find it anywhere. So I can only hear it while watching the movie. Each moment in the film is beautifully complimented by the music. [face_love]

Can anyone tell me who composed it? :confused: I guess I could check the credits again. :)

Thanks,

Blaine

17. Well_Of_Souls

Aug 26, 2001
    Can anyone tell me who composed it?

Thomas Newman, and yes, it is a great score. :)

18. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 27, 2003
    Thank you Well_Of_Souls. Much appreciated. :D

Another nice soundtrack is the Pearl Harbour one. Lots of the themes there too are very moving and sad. :(

19. Eugene_Meltsner_AIO

Sep 9, 2002
  20. Darth-Walken

Darth-Walken Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    I think that Basil Poledouris is very underrated. He has this wonderful ability to fill his scores with great, driving brass marches, and yet counter such bombastic themes, with very sweeping and emotional string sections. His scores are big, and yet very personal at the same time. He is also very influential. Even the great Jerry Goldsmith, seemingly plagiarised his main title theme from Conan, when he was writing the score for Total Recall.

21. darkknight_152002

darkknight_152002 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 2, 2003
    Bright Sheng is a wonderful Chinese composer who isn't too well-known. If you can find any of his music, it will surely be a treat. His Nanking! Nanking! A Therenody for Pipa and Orchestra is an amazing work that is in memory of the survivors of the Rape of Nanking in 1937.

22. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I agree with Darth-Walken about Poledouris.
    His Conan work is tremdously evocative for me.

I've also loved Christopher Young's work on the Hellraiser films, especially the second (Hellbound)...even though I haven't really liked much of his stuff after that. Hellbound's "Second Sight Seance" in particular is an awesomely powerful example of telling a story through music.

And this isn't a score or even a composer...but having sat through Highlander 3, the film was almost redeemed single-handedly by the beautiful "Bonny Portmore" sung by Loreena McKennitt.

23. Darth-Walken

Darth-Walken Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    DamonD, his work on Conan was brilliant :)

I also agree with you about Christopher Young. Some of his early horror film scores were very good, especially the Hellraiser series.

24. JMax

JMax Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 21, 2003
    Last of the Mohicans soundtrack pushed the movie when it slowed...

25. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    Various video-game composers. Such as Clint Bajakian, who can mimic the Williams style.

And Joel McNeely. Great Shadows of the Empire soundtrack.

So basically, anyone who sounds like Williams. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.