main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Under the Dome - no spoilers for unaired eps, bell whiffs

Discussion in 'Community' started by Diggy , Jul 1, 2013.

1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I can't be the only one watching.

Ropey acting, intriguing concept.

I've read and enjoyed the book, some changes have raised an eyebrow or three.

I'm quite interested in the views of those who haven't read the book.

Tell me. Tell me all.

2. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Watching episode 2 right now.

3. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    watched the first episode. was left somewhat disappointed. having read the book, i'll be sure to try and watch it all. but i won't be enthusiastic about it.

4. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Watched the first ep, it was ok. Will watch again tonight and report back. Haven't read the book.

Also, Simpsons did it.

5. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Watching the show; not read the books. I like it so far. It's moderately enjoyable and I'm looking forward to what the show does with its premise and subplots (or what Stephen King did, anyway). I do wish this second episode hadn't been so terribly obvious and awkward, like with that paranoid cop. It doesn't help that there's some terrible acting.

Most of all, however, I'm bemused by the show's annoying tendency to "ask-the-question" right before we get an answer and to broadcast-the-obvious on all frequencies and channels. If it was the same way in the book, then I'm terribly concerned for Stephen King's writing ability as he heads into his old age.

6. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    Not enough Jews. The under-representation of the chosen people is sickening.

7. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Is this a show about the private life of Rafa?

8. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Fell asleep watching ep. 2. Not a good sign.

If the dome explodes all electronics, why do they still have power? Surely a town of that size doesn't have its own electricity source? Also I hate all the characters. These people are stupider than those on Revolution.

9. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    They don't have power, some of them are operating generators. The electronics only blow up in close proximity to the dome

10. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    I re-watched today, and saw they had generators. Good that the radio station got to tap into one. So, they have a good supply of diesel, I assume?

11. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    I was most intrigued by the bisected cow that appeared to be made entirely of ground beef. Must be one of those hybrid California cows.

Oh, and the lady wandering around with one arm just waiting for someone to see her so she could collapse on camera.

jp-30 likes this.
  12. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    "No it's not, it's a dome. It's making everyone crazy and it's going to kill us all, if the town doesn't kill me first!"

Honestly show, this episode is your last chance. I'm only here because of Fringe withdrawal and waiting for blu-ray X-Files, so give me something... SOMETHING!!!

13. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    How about nothing?

14. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    If that's all it's got...

15. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    I can't believe I'm still watching this, it's atrocious.

16. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    I just watched the first four episode via DVR. I liked it (I have not read the book).

17. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    Just watch ed the season finale. I HATE cliffhangers. :mad:

18. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    How are you still watching this show. Everyone with a decent taste should have quit at least 3 episodes back.

19. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Of all the shows this summer, this was one of them

Rosslcopter likes this.
  20. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    That was awful.

21. Rogue501st

Rogue501st Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 9, 2010
    I watched the entire season and never read the book. It was a bit slow to get going, but by the end of the finale I was looking for more. To me it is kind of like watching Lost. The episode ends and you think to yourself...why did I just waste an hour watching that? Yet the next week you find yourself watching it again because you have to know what happens next. Maybe I'll read the book before the next season begins.

22. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    This.

23. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I watched every episode thinking "why am I watching this", ended every episode thinking "people are watching this?" and tuned in the next week thinking "why am I watching more of this?"

The acting is awful and the plot doesn't make sense. The cliffhangers feel contrived. And I? I feel superior for having these opinions.

24. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I haven't seen the show or read the book (though I did laugh at the line on the cover flap about how this was a story "only Stephen King could tell"). So, my comment is more a general show-biz comment rather than a show-quality comment.
    Trying to extend this premise into more than one season is an iffy idea. If they're not careful, the show could go from being "Stephen King's 'Under the Dome'" to "Stephen King's 'Gilligan's Island'". Unless that's what they're ultimately aiming for, I suppose. You never can tell what a showrunner might be working towards.

25. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    It's not really Steven King's Under the Dome as it stands now. They changed it a lot. It's not the same story.