main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Underated/Overated games

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by dark_charlie, Sep 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    Knights of the Old Republic. I had a great story and graphics, but I blew through it in two days and never played it again. It would have made a better movie.

2. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    I always thought GTA3 was a better game than Vice City.

You and me both.

3. dark_charlie

dark_charlie Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 18, 2004
    i never played gta3 but i loved vice city, played the thing for weeks, so much to do, you can even play crazy taxy in vice city, i could drive around for hours picking up custumers. i also loved to do vigilante missions with those undercover police cars.

someone said the latest price of persia wasnt good.

i think it was a preety good game.

4. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I thought I was the only one to find KotOR overrated. I mean, it's kind of addicting the first time around and the story is cool and stuff, but it seriously lacks something.
    I cheated the second time to see the Dark Side Ending (which could have been cooler, too).

I hated the third part of Liberty City in GTA3, so I like Vice City better. But they're both very cool.

5. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    I thought KotOR was cool, but I got bored with it after a ways into the game. By the time I got to Korriban, I wasn't nearly as entertained, and once I was on the "uncharted planet" (and finally the Star Forge) I was pretty damn bored.

6. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I thought I was the only one to find KotOR overrated. I mean, it's kind of addicting the first time around and the story is cool and stuff, but it seriously lacks something.

I think the one major flaw in the game was that, if you decided to follow the darker path and be a completely evil bastich, there was almost a complete lack of negative responses from your party. Oh, there were a few lines of dialogue that amounted to nothing more than a slap on the wrist if, say, you forcefully persuaded someone to say or do something. And if you decided to commit an utter atrocity and murder a group of innocents (or at least not-so-innocents), your party joined the slaughter instead of holding back and being appalled by your actions.

I would've liked it if, as you became more evil and wretched, a cutscene would be triggered where your party was assembled on the lounge of the Ebon hawk, talking and worrying about your less than moreal (if not downright evil) demeanor while you slept. Meanwhile, you (Revan) would be using the Force while you feigned sleep to eavesdrop on the conversation, even going as far as manipulating the dialogue through Force persuason so that at the end of the cutscene Carth or Bastila or someone would agree that you knew what you were doing and that everything would be fine. A touch like that would've made the Dark Side game more satisfying to me.

7. dark_charlie

Apr 18, 2004
    what do you guys think of manhunt? i liked it a lot, i see it as a metal gear meets mortal kombat.
    but i still get the feeling that it lacks something...

you know what games are realy overated in my opinion? the final fantasy series. its good, good graphics, good sound and good stories, but its not great because of the whole turn based stuff, its no fun at all. real time combat is much more fun. i dont get any satisfaction out of the FFs battles, if only they made the battles real time...

8. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I give Kudos to Square-Enix for creating some of the most beautiful games ever made with their latest Final Fantasy offerings. I only wish they could offer such stuff to the Xbox.

However, I wholeheartedly agree with dark_charlie: the FF turn-based combat system ultimately leaves me cold. It's simply so silly and unengaging, watching as both parties tickle HP's of each other, or one party doing this awesomely devastating attack while the other just stands and -- depending on the "dice roll" -- takes it or miraculously dodges it. At leats KoToR gave you the illusion of real time combat that was paused only to link the consecutive attacks or what-not.

9. Antilles2001

Antilles2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 20, 2001
    Halo may not have much things that are new, but it does so so nicely. For example: driving vehicles. Not new at all. However, it is so nicely developed, it barely leaves room for improvement.

And about the repititve level design, I for one enjoyed going through certain areas again. I mean, it's intriguing to fight through a level, and later on in the game, come back to it, but you see how the Flood have ravaged it and such.

And GTA, yes, it is overrated.

10. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    How about Resident Evil? Sure it was scary and the graphics were good but I didn't like it because of:

a) The controls
    b) The camera angles
    c) Having to pause the game in order to change your weapon and that stuff

11. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    ..hey, i'll echo "Resident Evil"..

My buddy and i rented it about a year or so after it had originally come out (so after all the hype).. We played it for MAYBE 20 minutes, and then got in the car, went back to the videostore and exchanged it for something else...Have never gone back..

And i'll echo the sentiment in this thread about KOTOR (man, it's so nice to know i'm not crazy!).. It was a really addictive game the first time you played it, but when it ended... You were just kinda left cold..Like "That's it?" Really wish it would have been longer...A WHOLE lot longer (but then again, whenever i speak to my pro-KOTOR buddies, they all sit there aghast and say "You can't have beat the game in 2 days!" So maybe we're just all super-gamers :p)

12. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    Can you put my name down on the 'KotOR was lacking' list?

13. dark_charlie

Apr 18, 2004
    i cant give my opinion on kotor cus i never played it.
    i have been thinking about buying it for my new xbox, but after hearing all this... i dont know...
    after all i have more games then i can play and i am gonna buy fable as soon as it gets out.
    do you guys think i should play the first kotor before kotor 2? or should i just buy kotor 2 and start whitout ever playing the first one?
    if i dont need to play kotor one in order to get the storie on kotor 2 i just wont buy it. i have my hands full with the 29 games i have on my ps2 and the 6 games i have on xbox. i am trying to finish morrowind, halo, jet set radio, midtown madness 3 and champions of norrath before fable hits the stores. impossible you say? god-like task? well i am not your avarege gamer. i only stop for food, drinks, a little sleep, and some net time on jc and msn, oh and sometimes a take sometime to bathe.
    so... kotor... to buy or not to buy, that is the question.

NOTE: we dont have the rent-games stuff here in portugal. so dont sugest that, please.

NOTE2: I AM A REALY GEEKY STARWARS FANATIC, I ONCE BROKE UP WHIT A GIRL THAT SAID R2 IS JUST A DUMB ROBOT.

14. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    ...meh, if you're a star wars geek, then i'd still suggest playing "KOTOR", because it IS ultimately a worthwhile gaming experience...

I just don't think that it's "The Best Star Wars game EVER" as many MANY of it's fans seem to suggest..

You may want to wait until "KOTOR II" comes out, as they'll probably lower the price of KOTOR I, ya know?

(from what i understand, i don't think it'll be entirely necessary to know the story of KOTOR in order to enjoy KOTOR II.. Some characters will be returning, and some characters from the original will show up along the way, but i believe it's an entirely new story)

15. dark_charlie

Apr 18, 2004
    thanks drew.

16. dark_charlie

Apr 18, 2004
    how do i change the topic of this thread? i wanna change it to: underated/overated games.

17. Darth_Simpson

Darth_Simpson Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    You can't. Ask a mod, they may do it for you.

Personally, I never understood why Counter-Strike is so popular. I find it quite dull.

18. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    dark_charlie: Buy or rent KoToR. Despite its flaws, it's worth the time and money. It's not quite the best ever SW game (to me, that distinction goes to the X-Wing Trilogy), but without a doubt I'd call it "what the Prequels should've been". Besides, it's already on Xbox's Platinum (discount) series, so you can find any new (or used) copy at $20 or less in any major store.

I made the mistake of keeping my copy for posterity. But after trying to play it the other day and find myself bored silly (I hate Taris; if I need to sleep, all I gotta do is play around a bit there) I realize I'll be lucky if I get $2 trading it in. :(

19. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    what do you guys think of manhunt? i liked it a lot

I liked it a lot, too. I found it to be one of the most "rewarding" games I've ever played. Like, I'd actually feel like I'd accomplished something when I snuck up behind an enemy hunter and offed him with a crowbar to the neck.

20. dark_charlie

Apr 18, 2004
    i like the schyte. you come up from behind the guy and stick the schyte between his legs, then you pull it all back. horrible... i like it...(Evil laugh).

and what is the deal with the CHAOS LEGION reviews??
    every single site has a bad mark on the game.
    the game is awesome. i think its like final fantasy meets devil may cry meets dragon force. genious. and looks and sounds great. its a little hard, but players today are too lazy, maybe thats the problem...

xbox classic version of kotor isnt out yet in portugal... i have to wait i think... :cool:

21. dark_charlie

Apr 18, 2004
    i asked a mod to change the thread title, i think this one suits the thread better.

my thanks to The2ndQuest.

22. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    underrated - The Shenmue series. After Baldur's Gate, Shenmue is my favorite series of all time. Hopefully the third installment will see the light of day.

23. Darth_Simpson

Darth_Simpson Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    It appears they're doing Shenmue Online now, instead of a direct sequel.

I'd much rather have Shenmue III than an online version.

24. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    I'd much rather Yu hurry up, there's supposed to be 24 chapters and he's only managed 2 in these 4 years :p

25. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    Spider-Man 2 is the worst game of the year. I liked going around the city, but those Boss villains were really hard to beat up, and I hated pressing that stupid "Spidey Sense" button to get any strength.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.