main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Undercover Operations (a pre-ESB H/L story)--Author Notes and a Request for Help! July 1st

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by QueenOfAces, Jul 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QueenOfAces

QueenOfAces Jedi Master star 2

Jun 10, 2003
    Title: Undercover Operations

Summary: This is my answer to the question: "What happened on Ord Mantell?" There may be a little AU thrown in...I haven't decided yet.

Disclaimer: I'm a teacher, I don't own any part of the Star Wars universe (unfortunately), and I certainly don't have the money to take on Lucas et al in court. This is definitely at not-for-profit endeavor! :)

I hope you all like my second story. Thanks to J-Girl for the beta reading!

[b] Undercover Operations[/b]

?Are you crazy?!?? Leia yelled. She knew that the decision was right, of course, but she certainly did not want to admit it in front of the general.

?Leia, you know he is the best choice,? General Rieekan said, trying to soothe her with his voice.

?Couldn?t you have picked someone else? Luke, for instance.?

The general smiled at that suggestion, replying,?You can?t complete this mission in Luke?s X-wing. Besides, he?s needed for that scouting expedition for a new base. Han Solo is simply the best choice. He knows the region, he?s an excellent pilot and fighter, and he fits in well with a variety of people. Plus, he?s not an official member of the Alliance, which makes him a safer option.?

Leia fumed at that remark. She had tried everything to get Han to commit to the cause, but to no avail. ?How much are you paying him for this little excursion?? she sniped.

Her angry reaction caused Rieekan?s smile to broaden just a bit. It was so obvious that these two were meant for each other. Their arguments were a constant source of amusement on the base and most personnel had a great deal of money tied up in a betting pool for the exact date the princess and the pirate would become a couple. ?As a matter of fact, Han volunteered. He claimed that he had business in the region and, therefore, would only accept funds to pay for the expenses associated with the trip itself."

[i]Really?[/i] she thought. [i] Maybe Han was beginning to change his mind after all. [/i]

?Why can?t someone else go? I?m sure there are dozens of women who would fall all over themselves to go on this trip with him. There?s got to be someone with a lower profile who could do the job.?

Rieekan just shook his head. ?It has to be you. Our contacts asked specifically for your presence. We?ve taken all possible precautions to protect you, and we have created the necessary identity papers. All that remains is for you to prepare for the trip.?

Beaten, Leia resigned herself to the situation. ?Fine. When do we leave??

?This evening. Report to Lieutenant Afstra for help in choosing your wardrobe. We don?t have much, of course, but you should find something suitable to wear. Return here for the reports you need and then prepare as you see fit. You are to meet Solo at his ship just after the first dinner shift.?

?Right,? she sighed. ?Just remember that I?m doing this for the good of the Alliance,? she said as she turned on her heel to leave.

?Leia,? Rieekan called. ?This doesn?t have to be that bad. Think of it as a well-deserved vacation.?

Leia just glared at him, then strode quickly out of the room.

?Hello, Your Worship!? Han called from the ramp of his ship. ?Has your entourage finished packing your trunks for the trip??

Leia rolled her eyes and said, ?For your information, Captain, I?ve got everything I need right here.?

?Why Your Highnessness,? he exclaimed in mock surprise. ?Have you finally realized your true feelings for me??

?Oh, you?re impossible!? Leia hissed, marching quickly past him.

?Aw, c?mon, Leia. I was just giving you a hard time. Here let me show you to our cabin.?

Before she fully realized what he had said, Leia issued a curt, ?Thanks.? As he picked up her bag, however, the full impact of his words hit her. ?What do you mean [i]our[/i] cabin??

?Well,? he leered, ?You?re my wife, Princess. Don?t you think you should be sleeping with me??

?Apparently, Captain, you are having some difficulty dis

2. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

Rubs hands in gleeful anticipation.

Ooooh! Han and Leia...posing as husband and wife! Great start, Queen!

3. QueenOfAces

Jun 10, 2003
    Hey LP!

Glad you liked it. Congrats on the trivia victory, by the way.

4. J_Girl

J_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2001

I love fics like this! They are so much fun! Ok, so I know what happens, but now I get to gush about it. :D

Great start, love the banter, QueenOfAces!

J_Girl

5. starwarsfan68

starwarsfan68 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 25, 2003
    Sound good to me can't wait for more!!

6. rxchiquita

rxchiquita Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 21, 2003
    Wonderful! Eagerly waiting for more...

:D

7. QueenOfAces

Jun 10, 2003
    J_Girl: Don't go giving away the plot...it will spoil the surprise for everyone else. Besides, I haven't finished writing the ending yet, so there are plenty of twists and turns left for you as well! :) Thanks again for the beta-reading--the story is much better as a result!

starwarsfan68: I'm glad you liked it! I appreciate the feedback and I assure you that you won't have to wait too long for the next installment.

rxchiquita: Thank you for such a positive response to the story. It is greatly appreciated. I will post the next part of the story before I leave town next Friday (maybe even earlier :)).

8. QueenOfAces

Jun 10, 2003
    OK...I haven't had much response to this one so far, so I'll give you a bit more of the story.

[b]Undercover Operations, Part II[/b]

As soon as the door closed, Leia tossed her bag out of sheer frustration. "Why do I let him get to me like that?" she groaned. "If the Alliance didn't need me, there is no way I would spend a week alone with that man. He is arrogant, obnoxious, completely uncouth?" [i]and gorgeous,[/i] her mind added.

"Get a grip, Leia! He is not that good looking and he certainly isn't the kind of man you want in your life." "Agghhh! Why am I thinking about wanting him in my life?" [I]Or wanting him, period?[/i] crowed the devious voice in the back of her mind.

"This is ridiculous. I'm going to take a shower and then get to work on those reports. I have a job to do and I will not let that Corellian keep me from completing this mission." With that, she headed to the 'fresher and allowed the water to soothe her frayed nerves. She quickly banished a stray thought that she was in [i]Han's[/i] fresher and slowly rebuilt her composure. By the time she was dressed, she was in complete control, and she immediately buried herself in her work.

Han, however, was not quite so disciplined. With the ship safely on course, he had nothing to do but think about his current situation. "One week with the 'Ice Princess' will be the death of me," he sighed. "Oh sure, she is fun to tease, but she is not much company otherwise. The rebellion this, the Alliance that?I wonder if she ever thinks of anything else."

It occurred to him that he rarely saw Leia smile. Every once in awhile, he and Luke had been able to coax her out of command mode. On those rare occasions, she had displayed a quick wit and a playful sense of humor. He remembered the time that the three of them had enjoyed a friendly evening of card playing. Though she was a bit wary at first, she became caught up in the game and the camaraderie. Boy, was she a fast learner-she had even bested him in a few rounds.

The kid, of course, was so smitten with Leia that he couldn't concentrate on the game. "Isn't she wonderful, Han?" he asked after Leia had left. "Doesn't she have the most beautiful smile?"

"Whatever you say, kid," he replied laughingly. "Too bad she doesn't have a heart to go with it."

Glaring, Luke quickly defended her, "You're wrong about her, Han. She just has to appear strong so that she can do her job. Everyone depends on her."

Luke had a point, of course, but she didn't have to be so cold. [i] Still, she does have a beautiful smile. [/i] Convinced that he was losing his mind, Han decided the best way to clear his head was to get a drink and hit the sack.

As he walked out of the cockpit, however, he was surprised to find Leia seated at the holochess table. "Hi, Han," she said. "I was hoping we could go over your part in the mission. I just feel better if I know all the bases are covered."

"Whaddya mean, sweetheart?" he asked. "It not like this mission is so hard to figure out. We pretend to be on our honeymoon, meet with our contacts, get the information, and fly out of there. We don't need reports to do this mission."

Frustrated because she felt he wasn't taking the mission seriously, Leia shot Han a withering look. "Han," she said, her voice rising. "This information is crucial to the Alliance. It may not be the riskiest of missions, but we still need to be familiar with the layout of Ord Mantell and the latest intelligence reports. Such a cavalier attitude could get us killed. Frankly, I'm surprised you've lived this long."

"Listen, Your Exaltedness! I've already been to Ord Mantell, and I went over the reports before we left. I don't need a snooty princess telling me how to run this operation."

"Hold on, laser-brains. I'm in charge here, and it is my duty to make sure this mission runs smoothly."

"Duty!" he countered. "That's all you care about, isn't it? You don't give a damn about other people. Your only concern is your precious Rebellion!"

"Tha

9. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

Oooh! They can't share five seconds together without it all going to pot, can they?

Where's Chewie in all this?

10. QueenOfAces

Jun 10, 2003
    You would be the expert on that, LadyPadme! :)

You certainly respond quickly. Thanks! As for Chewie, I didn't think he should be present during their "honeymoon." Besides, they don't need one other person to get in their way--they do such a nice job of it on their own!

11. GreatOne

GreatOne Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 22, 2003
    I like this story! It's very good! :) Bad Han for making Leia feel so unhappy! :(

12. J_Girl

Feb 18, 2001

The last paragraph gets me when it describes Leia's stricken face haunting Han.

No worries, I would never give away the plot, QueenOfAces. There would be no fun in that! Now I get to read along with the rest of the H/L fans and have fun for the sheer sake of enjoyment. Yay! :)

J_Girl

13. NETTYTHEPRINCESS

NETTYTHEPRINCESS Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2002
    Ohhhhh... another great Han and Leia fan fic!!! YEAH!!! Great story so far QueenOfAces. :)

14. QueenOfAces

Jun 10, 2003
    GreatOne: I'm glad you liked the story. Yeah...Han allowed his jealousy to get the better of him. Don't worry, though. He'll make up for it!

J_Girl: I knew you wouldn't give away the plot...I was just having a little fun. I'm also glad to hear that you liked the last part. I upped the intensity a bit for this section, but the upcoming hot tub scene stays as written! Oops...I think I just gave something away ;)

NETTYTHEPRINCESS: Glad you liked it. I really appreciate the response. Just for your reference, I'll post one more installment before I leave for vacation on Friday.

15. QueenOfAces

Jun 10, 2003
    OK, this will be my last post on this story for a couple of weeks, since I am going on vacation. Hope you like it!

[b]Undercover Operations--Part III[/b]

Surprisingly, Leia felt refreshed the next morning. Though she couldn't quite remember them, her dreams had been comforting somehow. Nevertheless, she couldn't quite bring herself to face Han?not yet, anyway. She busied herself with tasks for the mission, and indulged in a long, hot water shower.

That busy work did not keep her mind from re-living the fight, nor did the blissfully warm water wash away all of her sadness. The pain had dulled considerably, however, and she could view the events in a more rational manner.
    The truth was that she couldn't really blame Solo for thinking she was cold. Was it his fault that the façade she had created worked so well? Also, she was hardly an innocent bystander in their ongoing battles of will, attacking everything from his clothes, to his ship, to his very character. Admittedly, this fight went well beyond the bounds of a friendly conflict, but she could think of at least two occasions in the past when she had crossed that line herself. Besides, he [i]had[/i] apologized, which was a first for him as far as Leia knew. If this mission were to be successful, she would simply have to adopt a businesslike attitude and learn to take things less personally.

Her mind clear and ready for the task at hand, Leia dressed quickly and headed to the galley for a late breakfast. Upon entering the room, she encountered a clearly miserable Han Solo. He was seated at the table with his head clasped firmly in his hands, and he looked like he hadn't slept in a week. Leia immediately felt nervous, but managed to stand her ground. She also felt somewhat vindicated at the sight of him in such poor shape. [i]Maybe I should let him suffer a bit.[/i]

When he heard Leia approach, Han lifted his head so that he could see her face. Their eyes locked for a moment, generating a powerful emotion in both of them. Wracked with guilt, however, Han could not hold her gaze. "How are you, Princess?" Han asked tentatively.

"Oh, I was a little cold last night, but I'm feeling much better, thank you."

Han visibly winced at her reference to his words, but he was heartened to see that her spirit had returned. [i]Maybe she is OK.[/i]

"Well," he ventured. "We can't have our princess feeling cold?" [i]Would you like me to warm you up? No, Han, resist?be nice.[/i] "Would you like some hot kaffe?" [i]Whew![/i]

Amazed at his restraint, Leia accepted his offer and helped in the preparation of breakfast. As they ate together, Han tried to fill the silence by talking about the sights on Ord Mantell. Leia seemed to relax a bit, especially when he told her they would be arriving in four hours.

"Good," she said. "The sooner we start this mission, the sooner it will be over with."

Han was again plagued with fears, though he didn't show them. [i]Does my company bother her that much?[/i]

"Aw..c'mon, Princess. I just know you are dying to spend some quality time with a good looking guy like me."

Leia smiled inwardly as they fell into the familiar pattern of banter. "Please, Solo?I'd rather spend time with tauntaun. At least they smell better."

"Whaddya mean, Your Worship. I just had a shower last week. Is this your subtle way of inviting me to join you in the 'fresher?"

Rolling her eyes, she replied "Fat chance, flyboy. You'll just have to settle for cold water." Smiling, she turned on her heel and walked out.

[i]Cold water, indeed.[/i]

An hour before they were scheduled to arrive, Leia returned to the lounge in her civilian attire. It was sheer heaven to wear something other than fatigues or that dreaded snowsuit. She almost felt like a woman again.

As she sat down, however, she was attacked by a case of the nerves. What if everyone saw how much she and Han hated each other? It could compromise the mission. Could she really convince people that she was in

16. rxchiquita

rxchiquita Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 21, 2003
    Oh, FUN!!

Love the insight to their thoughts - can practically hear inner turmoil bubbling under the surface. This is going to be a bumpy ride, no? Of course, they wouldn't be as entertaining if they made it easy on themselves. Great interaction - stayin' tuned for more...

:D

17. NETTYTHEPRINCESS

NETTYTHEPRINCESS Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2002
    Nah.. nah nah nah... Han teasing Leia, that was cute. Hmmmm, this will be an interesting mission. Are you back from vacation yet? Hee hee. Just kidding, have fun, can't wait for next post. :)

18. GreatOne

GreatOne Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 22, 2003
    Oh how they do like to torture themselves!
    ;)

19. Sunshine

Sunshine Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 15, 2003
    Leia rolled her eyes and said, ?For your information, Captain, I?ve got everything I need right here.?

?Why Your Highnessness,? he exclaimed in mock surprise. ?Have you finally realized your true feelings for me??

QoA, that was just priceless. Classic banter.

Well, this is just lovely. UST and Han and Leia and a potentially dangerous trip... it's marvelous.

Wait, we get a part II? Woo hoo!

I love the word 'uncouth'. As in, 'You are rude and uncouth and presumptuous...'

Uncouth. Hmmm. Can you ever be 'couth', for that matter? Food for thought, that.

Luke is so cute before he turns all Jedi on us. I'm just going to choose to forget that they're... that they're... you know.

Stricken, she replied in a soft tone that was almost too calm. "You're right, Han. I'm an unfeeling droid focused only on my assigned duty. Now, if you will excuse me, I've got some work to do. I wouldn't want you to catch a chill from standing in my presence."

*pouts* Ow. Poor Leia.

She also hated the fact that she couldn't control her temper and couldn't control her feelings. She couldn't control anything, really, and that scared her to death.

Leia needs extensive, expensive therapy.

And a part III! Alright!

Upon entering the room, she encountered a clearly miserable Han Solo. He was seated at the table with his head clasped firmly in his hands, and he looked like he hadn't slept in a week.

The poor baby!

"Aw..c'mon, Princess. I just know you are dying to spend some quality time with a good looking guy like me."

Leia smiled inwardly as they fell into the familiar pattern of banter. "Please, Solo?I'd rather spend time with tauntaun. At least they smell better."

"Whaddya mean, Your Worship. I just had a shower last week. Is this your subtle way of inviting me to join you in the 'fresher?"

*cracks up* Oh, all is right with the galaxy.

She almost felt like a woman again.

*cocks eyebrow* Do I want to know what would make her feel like an entire woman? More than a woman.... more than a woman to meeeeeeee...

Can't wait for more, QueenOfAces!

20. Miska

Miska Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 18, 2002
    OK I'm here and I'm definitely loving this story!!! I actually had a long post planned out w/ all the quotes I love so far, but Sunshine took them all!! :) So I'm just going to second everything she said and add that I can't wait for more!! :)

21. starwarsfan68

starwarsfan68 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 25, 2003
    So close, but no kiss. Maybe soon???

22. QueenOfAces

Jun 10, 2003
    Readers! I've got readers!

rxchiquita: Oh...it will definitely be a bumpy ride, but it will be fun! ;) Thanks for reading!

NETTYTHEPRINCESS: Actually, I'll be leaving for vacation tomorrow morning! Glad you like the story and I'll see you in about two weeks!

GreatOne: As smart as they both are, you'd think realize that they'd be happier together! Oh well...this makes it more fun for us (I hope)!

Sunshine: Welcome to the story, Sunshine! I'm glad you liked the banter!
    As for "uncouth," it just sounds like a word the princess would use, doesn't it. I'm sure you can be couth, but would you want to? ;)

Finally, Leia doesn't need therapy, she just needs...Dr. Han. I think that answers your last question as well! Nice singing, by the way.

Thanks for the feedback...it made my day!

Miska: Welcome, Miska! I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed the story and I won't keep you waiting too long for the next part...just a couple of weeks!
    Maybe I should give you a little teaser:

"I was just following an old Corellian marriage custom. The bride is carried to the marriage bed by her new husband."

starwarsfan68: I think you'll be surprised at what's coming, but you may see a kiss or two. Just be patient!

23. J_Girl

Feb 18, 2001
    "Captain, don't you have to get landing clearance?"

LOL, when I read that scene,they almost kiss, and then I read that line, I can't help but think: Han needs to get landing clearance in more ways than one.

Very good, QueenOfAces! :)

J_Girl

24. Puggy

Puggy Jedi Master star 3

Oct 1, 2002
    Yay, QueenOfAces, you're writing a new fic! Woohoo!

I adore this so far... It's so in character, and I love the way we get into Han and Leia's thoughts.

Keep up with the great work! I'll definitely be following this. :)

BTW: The almost-kiss was torture. Pure torture!

25. J_Girl

Feb 18, 2001
    Waiting for more :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.