main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Understanding Christianity

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    There is a verse that starts out "love is patient, love is kind" that is often-quoted in marriage ceremonies, but I'm quite fond of the verses that preceed:

(I Corinthians 13: 1-3)
    If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing.

2. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2009
    My pastor said something very wise about 2 years ago, and its stuck with me ever since...

"The most important thing about you is what first enters your mind, when you think of God."

Sarge likes this.
  3. Rainbow Knight Star

Rainbow Knight Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 18, 2005
    I have many favorite verses from the Bible, but here's just one for now.

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. Genesis 1:1.

4. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    I'm not a believer myself, but I always found these verses beautiful:

"Do not urge me to leave you or to return from following you. For where you go I will go, and where you lodge I will lodge. Your people shall be my people, and your God my God. Where you die I will die, and there will I be buried. May the LORD do so to me and more also if anything but death parts me from you.”

Ruth 1:16

anakinfansince1983 and Sarge like this.
  5. Rainbow Knight Star

Rainbow Knight Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 18, 2005
    And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also. 1 John 4:21

Sarge likes this.
  6. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    What is meant by the term "brother"? Is it limited to siblings or does it cast a wider net?

7. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It means everyone, since we are all children of God. That we should treat everyone as our brothers and sisters.

Jedi Merkurian and Sarge like this.
  8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Much wider. Not just brothers, but neighbors as well. And when someone asked Jesus, "Who is my neighbor?" Jesus answered with the parable of the good Samaritan. Most people know that term, but what is not so well known is that in Jesus' time all Samaritans were despised as half breed Jews. No "real" Jew would call a Samaritan a Samaritan; it was always Samaritan dog. So Jesus' point was that even the lowest and most hated person should be loved as a neighbor and a brother. And Jesus went even further and told us to love our enemies. That's a tough one, but totally worth the effort.

Jedi Merkurian and Ghost like this.
  9. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Then what do you understand the term "love" to mean in that context? Is it unconditional love or conditional love, if conditional, then what are the conditions?

10. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Unconditional. To love others as Jesus loved us.

11. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    That sounds like a condition to me.

12. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It's a description. Jesus's love for us was unconditional. We're supposed to love other as Jesus loved us, which is unconditionally.

13. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    So the part where Jesus says he came not to bring peace but a sword, where those who love their children or parents more than him are not worthy of being his disciple...those are examples of his love? Ripping whole families apart because of his massive ego?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  14. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    [​IMG]

...here we go...

Saintheart likes this.
  15. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    This is why people like you don't understand the Bible. You seem to think that what the text says must be taken at face value, when it actually may have a different or deeper meaning entirely. And throwing out single verses instead of looking at the surrounding context is not conducive to understanding it and you never will if you don't look past what's on the surface.

Estelita likes this.
  16. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    I speak the English language, and so when I read any text that's written in the language, I interpret it exactly how it is written. To do otherwise is to put my own personal spin on it, and that is not the proper way to read anything. Words that are written on a page only have the exact meaning that is written there.

17. Skywalker8921

Jun 9, 2011
    You're compeletely misunderstanding me. The way verses are written does not necessarily mean the writers intended them to mean what they appear to say on the surface. People have to study them and try to figure out what the writers meant. And no, this is not putting "my oen personal spin" on it. Literal (ie, face value) interpretation is not always good.

18. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Literal interpretation is the only method by which everyone can agree in what is being said. If the author meant something else, he would have written something else.

19. Skywalker8921

Jun 9, 2011
    Ghost, you've said you don't believe in original sin or the Adam/Eve story and that Genesis 3:15 is baloney. I'm asking you to set that aside for a moment and just think about this.

God created the entire earth and everything in it, includings humans. He created Adam from the dust of the ground and Eve from one of Adam's ribs. He gave them an intelligence that He did not give to the animals or plants. They had the ability to make their own choices.

When the snake spoke with Eve, Satan was disguising himself as an angel of light, something he is very good at. Eve was decieved into eating the fruit while Adam deliberately did so.

Was God watching them at that moment? Most likely, given His later words to Adam.

Could He have stopped them from eating the fruit? He could have, but if He had, then what was the point of giving humans free will?

Because of that sin, the world was cursed and God set into motion a plan to provide the world with ultimate salvation through Christ. You say Genesis 3:15 is baloney. I beg to differ. The entire Bible, from cover to cover, unfolds God's plans to save humanity after the Fall. Genesis 3:15 is key to the plan, as it provides the first glimpse of the eventual coming of Christ. If 3:15 is stripped of that and made to seem an ordinary statement about humans and snakes, then it undermines the foundation of the Bible. Think about it - today, can humans crush a snake's head by stepping on it?. They're far more likely to get bitten and probably not do any harm to the snake. Making Genesis 3:15 about this is absurdly silly. No. Genesis 3:15 IS the first statement regarding the eventual triumph of Christ over Satan. You're trying to make it seem ordinary, and in the process stripping the deeper meaning from it.

Sarge likes this.
  20. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Before engaging on this highly original and novel method of Biblical interpretation, you might want, at a minimum, to consider these little authors named Flaubert, Tolstoy, Doestyevsky, Herodotus, and Thucydides, mainly to see how many translations there have been of their works and how differently their words in their native languages have been rendered into English depending on the translator involved. Thucydides' history of the Peloppinesian War in particular has been horribly trawled over the past two thousand years for misleading, contextless quotes to imply something it was later (or contemporaneously) thought not to mean at all. And those translations only involved a rendering through one language barrier into English, not Aramaic to Greek to Latin finally to English as seems to have been the Biblical journey.

In each case you will find the translators' invariable expressions of frustration or concern that they hadn't achieved the same shade of meaning in the original text simply because the foundational assumptions of the two languages were different. Flaubert's "Madam Bovary" is perhaps the most shining example of that, being a novel that Flaubert worked over for five years to the point of agony over individual words. And that was in French. Even with that intensive precision in the original language - or perhaps because of it - the translation to English has been subject to controversy by varying French scholars and English translators over what Flaubert intended with a particular phrase. French, for example, allows an author to use one phrase to speak of the past tense and present tense simultaneously. English does not, and even there an English translator is left with the conundrum of how to address that in the English translation. Nabokov would upbraid translators of Tolstoy for hacking apart the original Russian text. And that's within the past century or so. Never mind the fact Aramaic's a dead language which renders it even harder to trace the original shades of meaning back to the intended text.

I'm no fan of Biblical literalism either, but translation is just a little more complex than that.

Estelita and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  21. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    It's a good thing that the Creation myth is just that: a myth. Adam was not made from dust, Eve was not made from a rib, the Earth was not created in six days. It's all a fable.

22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My undergraduate degree is in French and I'm fully aware of the nuances in translation.

My issue comes with the idea that some verses are supposed to be taken literally but with others, we are told that we are reading the verse "wrong" if we don't interpret it.

For example, I find Paul's statements about women more acceptable if viewed in the context of the time they were written, given that it's only been in the last 50 years or so that many people questioned the acceptability of treating women like second-class citizens. But many churches maintain that those verses are to be taken at face value (to be fair, not all of them do, and ditto with his statements about homosexuals--a credit to those churches that do relegate those verses to the context of the time).

23. wannasee

wannasee Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2007
    Why would it be an issue for you that some things are meant to be taken literally while others are not? Isn't it a common occurrence for people to switch back and forth between wanting to be understood literally and wanting to be understood figuratively?

Also, why would it be an issue for you that other people think another's interpretation is "wrong"? it seems normal to me that people would disagree with each other.

Estelita likes this.
  24. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    If the Bible were solely interpreted as a work of fiction, then I wouldn't have a problem with how folks view individual passages. The problem comes when some folks go even further and use the Bible as justification for violence, bigotry or hatred, all on the assumption that their book is the word of a god.

25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Exactly. The distinction between what is to be taken literally and what is to be interpreted seems really arbitrary at best; at worst it's as timmo said, a justification for bigoted hateful behavior.

I don't even know who decides what is to be taken literally and what isn't. It's certainly not limited to the old ceremonial laws as has been mentioned in another thread. Example, Deuteronomy 22:5 says that God hates men and women who wear clothes designed for the other gender. Does this mean that God hates women who borrow T-shirts from their SOs? That verse doesn't refer to anything ceremonial.