main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Understanding Christianity

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 24, 2012.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yeah - I'm not going to pay cinema prices to see it. I can wait til it gets to Sky Cinema.

DANNASUK likes this.
  2. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Thought I'd reply in this thread instead, carried over from U.S. Politics.

The issue isn't that American Christians are more puritanical, it's that they're prideful individuals who think their religion takes precedence over democracy and a free society. I can live a puritanical life to the best extent I can, without trying to force my neighbor to do the same. But the conservative Christian thinks "oh no, you're having premarital sex, and as a believer it's my duty to stop you from doing that".

3. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Let's clarify... this isn't all Christians in the US, just a vocal minority of Christians. Nor is it exclusive to the US.

4. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Yeah. I would say Christians in other countries, like, Syria, Iran, China have bigger things to worry about.

5. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Oh, we have the same. Their presence just tends to be somewhat less marginal on your end of the pond, for a number of reasons including, but not limited to, puritarianism having more of a presence on your end.

6. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    How do you mean ? They can disaprove of it but they can't stop anyone doing it . or do you mean it in a different way ?

7. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    So when the Christian Right wants abstinence-only sex-ed, what possible reason is there to push this except as a means to impose their values on society? They deliberately want to lie about the effectiveness of condoms because they want the threat of pregnancies and STDs out there to deter people from having premarital sex. Or take the war on evolution...again, they want to lie to people in order to force society to believe what they do.

Yeah, my point was that I don't think it's because Christians here are more devout than in Europe, it's because our Christians have no sense of basic civics or democracy.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  8. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    That really does not surprise me in the least considering that, as Christianity started becoming less a religion of an oppressed minority and became more of a centralized institution in Europe following the Gregorian reform in the late 10th century, making such rhetoric less politically convenient. Especially when it came from such a source as a female disciple of Christ.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  9. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Oh yeah, to add to what I said, if you just listen to the way the Christian Right talks, they clearly view only their own beliefs as legitimate and they devalue anyone who's not a Christian or not "sufficiently" Christian. They have no respect whatsoever for freedom of religion, as they want to give themselves privileges and demote non-believers to second-class citizens. We only need to look at the case of those Americans who were imprisoned in Turkey. The Christian Right lobbied for the release of one guy, a Christian pastor...the rest of them they didn't give a damn about. Or when it came to the travel ban, they were willing to give out exemptions...to Christians.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  10. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    The ever-interesting Eastern Orthodox view, compared to traditional Protestantism:

11. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Eastern Orthodox as I understand it have a more medical idea of the cleansing of sin, then the more legalist or judicial idea that Calvin and Augustine interpreted Jesus sacrifice as working as.

12. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    https://biblehub.com/matthew/19-12.htm

Just throwing that verse out here for debate. Some have interpreted it as an endorsement for gay and trans rights.

There has been a contentious debate in the United Methodist church over LGBTQ rights. Many Methodists support LGBTQ people, while many more do not. I'm mostly secular, but I attend a Methodist church in Salem whose pastor is a lesbian. I'm honestly surprised the church hasn't divided over this issue, as it divided over slavery. But that may transpire in due time.

13. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    The verse is talking about eunuchs. Meaning men who have had their private parts removed. As some did in ancient Jewish custom.

A eunuch is a man who is either incapable of sexual activity, or as the verse says has "chosen to live like them" meaning to abstain.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  14. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    I know. Lol.

15. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Right so... it has nothing to do with LGBT rights is what he's saying I think.

However, there are many other verses and themes to Christ's teaching that make it obvious we should be inclusive of everyone. And absolutely zero verses where Christ says anything negative about being gay or homosexual acts even. Which, you'd think he'd mention if it were such an important thing. (hint: it isn't)

As for what will happen with the Methodist church... I do think there's a good chance for a divide. Keep in mind that when they voted, the majority (I believe it was almost 2/3) of US church leaders voted to allow LGBTQ pastors and weddings. It was only voted down because of the much more conservative international Methodist churches, from cultures where LGBTQ people are still very taboo unfortunately.

I could see the church splitting so there's an American Methodist group that is inclusive and supportive of LGBTQ people. I would actually go then (right now I don't go to my parents' Methodist church because it hasn't officially made this its policy).

16. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
  17. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Celebrated the Pulse Shooting?! Yikes.

18. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Eh. I don't think that's a very supportable school of analysis.

The reality is that Jesus didn't "say anything negative" about the vast majority of sins and moral outrages. I don't think it's therefore reasonable to conclude that he was either okay with them, or that they are unimportant.

19. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    This was in a Hellenistic Israel where homosexuality was a huge and prominent part of the culture. It's not like we're talking about an issue that he didn't talk about because they just didn't encounter it. This was the Roman world.

Jedi Merkurian and Lordban like this.
  20. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Sure. But there were, again, a lot of problematic parts of Hellenistic culture he didn't comment on. I think he didn't talk about it because Jesus didn't generally do a lot of talking about any particular sin. Looking to his sermons and teachings for a comprehensive listing of wrongs is just an erroneous approach. He talked, first, more in principle than particulars, and second focused more on the features of correct living than highlighting what people do wrong.

Like for instance, is slavery "not important" since Jesus didn't comment? Rape?

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  21. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Also, remember that the Bible does not include every word Jesus ever said. The last verse of the Gospel of John says that if all Jesus said and did were written, the whole world couldn't contain all those books.

22. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Indeed. Quite apart from one's feelings on sexuality, I think that's a very dangerous precedent to set.

23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Okay, so take the tactic of looking at the principles Christ does speak about. Primarily, loving your neighbor and reaching out to help the most unfortunate people... Don't both those things argue in favor of being pro-LGBT and supporting people who are just trying to be in loving relationships?

24. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I mean, I'm just saying I wouldn't try to limit Christianity to "the recorded comments that Jesus made bodily and were recorded in the four gospels." Christianity is and was always larger than that. God's teachings always have been. I believe quite firmly that the apostles and prophets were also communicating God's will. I don't think of them as less valid sources to consider.

25. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    But what about the fact that the type of homosexuality Paul is talking about is likely temple prostitution? Certainly not loving mutual relationships.