main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Understanding the Fan Dynamics of Star Wars Going Into the Sequel Trilogy

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Kyris Cavisek, Dec 11, 2012.

?

What category do you fall in?

1. 1/2. Original Trilogy Fan/Remastered Fan

79.1%
  2. 3. Prequel Trilogy Fan

34.9%
  3. 4. EU Fan

27.9%
  4. 5. TCW Fan

16.3%
  5. 6. Random Movie Goer (I don't like Star Wars, I don't know why I am here)

2.3%
  6. 7. Hearththrobber (I will sit through a galactic epic if it means I get to see a half naked man)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    What does it need? I am not saying an entirely shirtless male cast, like the few scenes in Thor. Lets not forget, LOST season 5 as soon as things get nerdy, Sawyer loses his shirt

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I was quoting The Dark Knight as a joke. You ruined my joke. I will now go and destroy the internets.

3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Oh, sorry about that. Sincerely. I saw the films all in their original theatrical release. Several times each. I was #31 in the initial fanclub membership. I was a SW character for every Halloween between 80-85. I own every Kenner toy made prior to 85, as well. I love the entire saga, but I like the majority of the PT more than I like the majority of the OT these days.

"From a certain point of view" is still the most mind-numbing plot contrivance I have witnessed in the entire series. And the PT offers plenty. The entire Jabba/Han subplot, while possibly the most visually entertaining portion of ROTJ, I find absurdly imbalances the climax of a saga that otherwise had next to nothing to do with that story point. The ability of the main characters to be completely apathetic to prior events is astounding to me: Leia gets over Alderaan, Luke gets over Owen & Beru, etc. when those character-developing points would be more properly used in a narrative to motivate a character's progression. Home planet gets blown up and she has the monumental internal strength to insult Wookies who are trying to rescue her based on appearance. Which, that interaction in itself is particularly damning to her character. She is quite in line with Imperial views in her discriminating against "walking carpets". It may be funny, and meant to demonstrate her brash attitude, but it is nonetheless against what her character is supposedly representative of, which is equality in the galaxy. I have a lot more, honestly, but my point isn't to argue with you. I don't want to seem like I am just listing endless points to debate. I love the majority of the saga as a whole, but I find 75% of ROTJ to be anticlimactic and dismissable. And, I have to believe that Leia is capable of handling herself based solely on the description her action figure's blister card... in the films, all I saw her do was need to be rescued. In all 3 films.

Panakas_Dawg likes this.
  4. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Which is why we should have a strong female Jedi in the ST, and why having a sequel trilogy will be so much better for you if you see the RotJ as anticlimactic... I agree that lightsaber battles in the PT are better, the ships and special effects are sleeker. And I didn't mean to say you weren't a fan. But it is my fear that younger viewers will not like the OT due to Special Effects and the early style of it, even though I enjoy it.

5. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I agree with this. The scenes in Jabba's palace took forever to get through.

6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    What happened with me, personally, is while I wanted to be Han solo as kid, once I saw the the emphasis shift to the Skywalker family/Force/Jedi/etc., the prequels gel far better with that aspect of the larger story than all of the odds & ends which used to be so damn cool in 1981 to me, making them less important to me at this point. I still love Han, Lando, Chewie and all, but they now are not my focus of interest in the series any longer, which isn't a bad thing... just my interest is elsewhere in the story. Anakin, ObiWan, Luke, Palpatine, et al are the focus from 1 all the way through to the ST at this point. I no longer watch the films for smugglers is what I suppose I am saying. And, I agree the ST needs a female redemption rather badly.

anakinfansince1983 and kainee like this.
  7. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Jaina Solo would be perfect...

8. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    The dialogue in the PT isn't that great, I'll agree with that, but a lot of the dialogue in the OT was pretty silly too.

9. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Yes. The main contrivance in elevating one series over the other tends to be the acting controversy. Each had their Plan 9 level acting in them, but to even attempt to go film for film, weighing the acting as whole when one series had Liam Neeson, Natalie Portman, Ewan McGregeor, Christopher Lee, Samuel L Jackson not to mention a carryover of the more solid actors from the OT, aside from Harrison Ford and attempt to dismiss the PT when the other side of the scale has 2 leads who have barely stepped in front of a camera before or since the OT is just trying way too hard. Both had amazing acting. Both had inept acting. My favorite line in the entire series to rip is actually an otherwise good actor, in my favorite film... Lando: "the... er... Empire..." :p

10. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    And while I'm not crazy about the Special Edition changes....it's been 15 years. Time to move on and complain about the Blu-Ray changes.

Oh God I was kidding, please don't do that either.

11. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    NOoOOOOOOooOOOOOoOOoooOOOOOOOOOOOOOverit

12. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    First saw the OT on VHS.

I am loyal to Super Star Wars on SNES, Willow on DVD, and my Logray action figure.

Panakas_Dawg likes this.
  13. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
  14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Agreed. Except that I always wanted to be Leia as a kid.

And as an adult.