main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Underworld #5 (or Why did I end up buying all 5 issues?) (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by wampa, Jun 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wampa

wampa Jedi Master star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    It's been months since the last ish so I hardly remeber the confusing plot and extremely large cast.

Fighting erupts, Fett is invincible, Moffett steals the Falcon to Yavin IV, not much surprising...

Until I saw Bria. I remembered when fans were having gripes over the meeting between Han and Lando, but Bria? Still hate her (Good job Crispen)...

Apparently the rebs just wanted the key inside the Vassilika in order to open a temple, which seems weird to pay 4 million creds for when they could have just blasted through.

Somehow Han is promised payment but gets none, again. No reappearance by the Hutts, Jozzel's death, and the fact that Sardue is still alive make this series all the more confusing. To top it off, the Bith makes off with the cash to a paradise but is stopped by Fett.

The only time I laughed was when Greedo tried to be pals with Fett, which is nothing compared to an issue of Liberty Meadows.

By issue 5 I finally got used to the art, but still can't understand why this story had to be told.

2. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    I thought it was a fun little irelevent look into a group of characters we dont see very much any more. I thought it was a lot of fun. And my prediction held, the story fits pretty damn well into the window of time i said it was supposed to fit. good work dark horse.

3. 181st Fighter Wing

181st Fighter Wing Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 8, 2000
    Without a doubt it's the worst story-arc since Crimson Empire II or Vader's Quest. Dark Horse barely gives us any classic trillogy stories anymore, and the ones we are getting have been clunkers!

4. Mavrick889

Feb 27, 1999
    Hey i liked Vader's Quest too! I like seeing these famous characters used in a much more liberal fashion. Makes things interesting. U cant believe so many people didnt like this series...And wow, anyone pick up Jedi Vs. Sith # 3 yet? This is shaping up to be one of the best star wars series ever. Amazing drama.

5. Bubba

Bubba Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2000
    Loved it. Cartoony, but I loved it. Underworld was absolutely fab.

6. Destiny_Skywalker

Destiny_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 12, 2000
    Sigh... I miss Liberty Meadows... they took it out of my newspaper. :(

7. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    (doesn't read previous posts)

I'm about to leave and go buy it. I'm not holding my breath on this being any good...

~*~Bria

8. Mavrick889

Feb 27, 1999
    See? Bubba knows it. awsome series.

9. Bubba

Bubba Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2000
    Definitely. ;)

10. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    Bria's in it? She rules! :)

Someone hijacks the Falcon to Yavin IV? Why is it nessescary for them to visit the world? I don't believe for a second the Falcon was ever at Yavin IV before ANH. More EU changing the events of the movie. Why is it that they have to visit a familiar planet in every comic? Like that Aurra Sing comic where she hunts her targets on every planet seen on the original film. It's like the EU isn't confident that they can sell a SW comic without having to rely on someone or someplace from the movies.

11. skawookiee

skawookiee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 12, 2000
    It's sort of important to the story that they visit Yavin. That's where Bria gets involved with her Alliance contacts.

12. Bubba

Bubba Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2000
    The Yavin Vassilika.

13. Bria

May 15, 1999
    :mad: I don't know if there are even words to express my extreme disgust with this whole series. I was expecting not to be impressed, but NOTHING could've prepared me for what I found. :mad:

Bria... I love her. I really do. But I HATED how she was drawn, and I HATED the fact she was even IN this. Wasn't mention of her enough? :mad: She was NEVER supposed to see Han after Ylesia. By the same token, Lando wasn't supposed to see him until the Empire Strikes Back. It CANNOT be argued that this series takes place BEFORE the argument between Han and Lando at Lando's apartment, and it couldn't take place afterwards either. Why this isn't an infinities is beyond me. :mad:

And, excuse me, what the heck was that whole fiasco on Yavin about? The money the Rebels swiped at Ylesia was to go to pay for spies and such to obtain the Death Star plans, not to buy some fricken KEY. This is established by Ann in the HST.

Needless to say, this is the WORST thing I have EVER read in the EU comics. I thought NOTHING could be worst than Vader's Quest, but I was wrong. :mad:

~*~Bria

14. Mavrick889

Feb 27, 1999
    dont be so overdramatic. it was fine.

15. Bria

May 15, 1999
    I'm not being overdramatic. It was awful. Easily the worst thing I have ever read in Star Wars. If you go (EU wise) that stories publish before another one take precedence in *EU canon*, then The Yavin Vassilika could have never happened, because it was set up that Han and Bria are *over* at Ylesia, and do not see one another (If I see you again, I'll shoot you on sight), and Lando and Han weren't supposed to see each other after that scene outside of Lando's apartment.

This should be Infinities. If it was, I still wouldn't be happy, but I wouldn't be quite as mad either. I was under the impression from Dave Land's letter that continuety wouldn't be an issue with this series. If it's not Infinities, the story should've stuck with the established timeline, but it didn't. That, along with how ALL of the characers are portrayed has made this one bad read.

~*~Bria

16. Darth Pipes

Oct 12, 1999
    I have to agree with Bria. I admit to not having read the issue but I've heard enough about it to make a judgment.

One thing I've disliked in the EU is there attempts to change the events of the films (i.e., they always make Palpatine sound like a fool, speeding up the Jedi response to the Naboo blockade, etc.) In this case, they are altering EU. Rebel Dawn might be the best book in the EU and it clearly states that after Ylesia Han and Bria never saw each other again. It makes it clear that Han and Lando only saw each other once and it ended badly. It makes it clear that the Ylesia assault and ANH took place mere days from each other.

Yet this series directly alters those facts. There's simply no reason for that. Dark Horse has a fixation with getting as many stories between those tiny gaps as they possibly can. They've taken to altering the EU and I don't like that. Quite frankly, this story shouldn't have happened like it did because it directly contradicts the books. The books are valued more than a comic series. Yet this comic arrogantly dismissed what happened in the Young Han Solo series and the YHS series is one of the best in the EU.

17. leif

leif Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 16, 1999
    BAHHH. Underworld was fun. Campy. Hilarious. who really cares if it doent fit exactly into a SW timeline. some of you people really need to lighten up a little. after all.....IT WAS A COMIC BOOK! comic=humor.

i liked han copping an attitude with bria. boba was great, greedo was better than he has ever been portrayed before.

just for the record. vaders quest & crimson empire suck way more.

18. Bubba

Bubba Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2000
    Hey, it didn't need to happen, and it barely fit, but it was a nice read. I was scared though, that it bordered on the edge of noncanonical.

19. wampa

wampa Jedi Master star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    I thought the art was horrible. I'm sure SW2 won't show Fett as an invincible, gigantic guy. At this point, I could care less about continuity as I do about what this series was actually about.

There is no reaction from the Hutts, who started it all.

I wanted to ramble more, but I don't want to waste my time. At least Jozzel's dead, but hopefully they won't come out with an Infinities series where she's alive.

20. jedimasterED

jedimasterED Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 10, 1999

"IT WAS A COMIC BOOK! comic=humor"

By that logic, I guess the Chewbacca comics were supposed to be "funny" too, huh?

Bygones.

I'm not trying to be snide or incite a stupid arguement about the words we choose, either.

The cartoony art aside (which I like, BTW), the goofy characterizations of established characters (many of the bounty hunters were off to some degree) and the labored attempt to squeeze this, albeit interestingly connected story into the continuity, combined with the haphazard pacing and sloppy use of supporting characters may lend itself to "humor" stories similar to the likes seen in the "ever-crappifying" (ED-ism) Tales line, but Underworld is neither a Tales nor Infinities story, and therefore is a frustrating addition to the continuity for its disregard of the efforts of some very talented and beloved authors (not the least of which is A. C. Crispin).

I agree with Bria about the Bria thing :D , too. The pain and the future signifigance of Han and her parting is trivialized in some extent by this meeting. Han's arrival at Bespin is forever changed by this escapade. This comic stepped on toes, nice clean, meaningful toes... and for what?

21. Bria

May 15, 1999
    Thanks, jedimasterED. :D It wasn't just Bria being in here that bothered me. It was Han and Lando seeing each other- before the meeting at Lando's apartment or after, there just isn't room for this. It was Han/Chewie/Lando/Bria being on Yavin 4. It was trying to cram too much story in too little time. It was the whole plot line that in the end was unnecessary and pointless. It wasn't even that funny. I stopped laughing long before issue #5 because everything that was taking place was so stupid.

The ?humor? in this series is not what bothered me. I like humor. I initially loved Tales. Some of the stories in there were not meant to be taken seriously . They were just fun to read. In comparison, this comic arc was unnecessary and didn't add ANYTHING, and in fact detracted from already established plot lines. There was absolutely NO effect by Dark Horse to work within the established timeline. Usually, when an author start to play with another author's creation, they work together. I have read mention of this time and time again in Thank Yous and such in various SW novels. It's obvious no effort was made to do so in this case. It makes me even wonder why Dark Horse published this story. It wouldn't make a lot of sense to someone who hasn't read the HST, and for those who have... well, I know I'm not alone in how I feel about this.

I like things that fit on the timeline too, but in the case of Infinities/Tales I can handle and enjoy it because I know it's not what happened. But when they cram things in that don't work and are pointless, I don't like it. As I have said before, there have been SW comics DH produced that I didn't like. It's bound to happen. Yet I have never felt so let down and disgusted with anything I have read from them. When Dave told us not to worry in reply to that fan letter, I trusted him. I took from that that it'd work out. I gave DH the benefit of the doubt. Needless to say I shouldn't have wasted my time on this one.

~*~Bria

22. Darth Pipes

Oct 12, 1999
    It's reasons like this that EU gets a bad rap. No regard for continuity whatsoever. Arrogant attempts to change the films and it's own established books. This series should be disregarded.

This is a bad comic used to make a cheap buck so I'll just disregard it.

23. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    So at the end of the story the Rebels take the bounty Han and Lando got turning in Bossk and Dengar.

Continuity problem fixed.Han still pissed at Bria,Lando pissed at Han(they were n't particularly chummy in the series IMO)

My only prob...the story just sucked.

The end. :D :p

24. Darth Pipes

Oct 12, 1999
    It still shows why EU gets a bad rap. No regard for continuity whatsoever and they do it to one of the best series in the EU.

That's another interesting point about Boba Fett. He went from a simple bounty hunter who dies a pathetic death to an unstoppable superman.

25. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    The problem is there's too much stuff in EU.That's why contradictions happen.They don't go out and try to write a contradictory story on purpose.

As for this story..I think they thought they were sticking to continuity....only problem is ,is that the story sucks....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.