main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Underworld #5 (or Why did I end up buying all 5 issues?) (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by wampa, Jun 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Tales, bah, which makes her hard work in that Non-continuity, :p, or should I say non worthwile series that Dave Land is too lazy to inset meaning too. If he cared he'd give her a worthwile meaningful mini series.

2. DoomJawa

DoomJawa Jedi Youngling

Jan 5, 2001
    So don't buy it.

If you like her work enough it shouldn't matter where it appears or what someone labels it.

Which is what Infinities is -- a label.

Just because someone calls you "a geeky little whiner who isn't satisfied with anything" doesn't make it true, does it?

3. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    No, what I'm saying is if Dave Land really respected her, he'd give her a meaningful Comic series. Not some story in a comic anthology they don't even care about enough to have continuity stories. A comic which has been losing quality steadily since dave land took over. And a series in which He's insulted fans with. something that proves P.T. Barnum's "Theres A sucker born every minute" Adage. As long as they keep turning out Junk with the star wars label, they know they got people hook line and sinker and will continue to produce low quality stuff.

I won't buy it or underworld, or anything AU, cause I know quality of that series is so below par of what they original intended to do, back when Pete janes was in charge. But hey at least I'm choosing for myself, and not buying anything and everything with a star wars label on it. (honestly the original tales were excellent, it's just been the last 3 issues that have lost quality and become WWF of comics, with pretty much nothing but non-serious popcorn fair, and continued with there I don't give a damn attitude, instead giving fans what fans truly want(consistancy, and quality cotinuity tales)hey, that's just what I perceive, if you still like it who am I to stop you?)

4. DoomJawa

DoomJawa Jedi Youngling

Jan 5, 2001
    I think Peet put out more garbage than Land ever has. X-Wing RS was horrible, the Star Wars monthly was awful up to Twilight, Union was a yawnfest. Aside from Extinction and maybe Deal with a Demon, the Peet Janes run on Star Wars Tales was as stale as anything that came after.

Land's artistic choices are certainly better in my opinion. It seems like he has a better grasp on what comics readers are looking for -- that's COMICS READERS mind you (of which there are FAR more of than there are hardcore Star Wars fans).

Peet worked to appease the small hardcore Star Wars fan base. Land seems to be trying to appealing to a wider reading audience. Which honestly makes more sense to me. Publishers want their books read by the widest possible audience. Sounds like he's doing his job to me.

5. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    #5 is actually out? I guess I should go to the comic store (haven't been there in weeks)

6. MPeriolat

MPeriolat Jedi Youngling

Jun 28, 2001
    Well, if Land has actually apologized to Crispen, then I am much cooler.

But my point still stands: this whole mess would not have happened if Land had just talked to her in the first place or taken the time to read Rebel Dawn. As the editor of the DH SW comic line, it's his RESPONSIBLITY to make sure this is done and done right.

So far, since Land has taken over, I do feel the story quality has dropped. more toward humor and fantasy stories than serious stuff and continuty. I'm all for humor in small doses and imaginary stuff if we are told up front that this is not continuity. We WERE NOT with Underworld and Land has turned Tales into his private jokefest.

It's really disappointing and I'm ready to call for LFL to pull the license if Land doesn't get his act together but quick.

Matt

7. DoomJawa

DoomJawa Jedi Youngling

Jan 5, 2001

What makes you think that you could get Lucasfilm to pull the license from Dark Horse?

"Um, hello? I didn't like Underworld and Tales isn't to my taste. Could you please nullify the contract and huge fee that Dark Horse paid for the right to publish Star Wars comics?"

Something tells me that's not within your power...

8. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    Wow! I wish it didn't have to be Tales, but at least it's something! We've made an impact on Dark Horse! We should all feel happy that what we had to say was taken to heart, and Ann should get her day to write. :)

~*~Bria

9. virtue1st

virtue1st Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 13, 1998
    The various Star Wars comics are better now than they've ever been. Land's doing a great job.

10. Bror Jace

Bror Jace Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 1999
    I think the last SW comic I bought was Union #4 ... which was a disappointing conclusion to that story.

What a great paperback that whole chapter of the SW saga could have made!

The last few series that have come along lack the 'gravitas' needed to make me interested. They look thrown together with poor-quality art, etc ...

Nope, none for me, thanks. :(

11. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    I agree very much, Bria. :)

12. MPeriolat

MPeriolat Jedi Youngling

Jun 28, 2001
    OK, now that I've sufficiently made an idiot of myself, let me apologize for being a bit bullheaded.

Do I think parts of Star Wars comics are bad? Yes. I think Tales has been ruined and I think Underworld couldn't fit in continuity if you used Vasaline.

But at the same time, I very much enjoyed Hunt for Aurra Sing and am enjoying Jedi v. Sith.

I've been a very harsh and unfair judge of Land, mainly over the fact that I felt they treated Ann like crap. But things seem to be smoothed over and I'm willing to consider it what it really is: a huge misunderstanding.

I'm cool with Land, I just wish he'd downplay the humor and play more with continuity. But I'll accept what is there and stopy whining.

Again, I apologize.

Matt

13. wampa

wampa Jedi Master star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    While it is easy to find a scapegoat, Land should not be totally blamed. Comics, unlike novels (most of the time), are a team effort, especially with official LFL statements that contradict each other.

I don't expect all the comics to be good, but I hope DH learned from falling Underworld sales the only comic buyers they can absolutely depend on are SW fanatics like me.

14. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    ok, just got back from a trip, and I do appreciate you posting the list of continuity errors. However, these are all fairly small, and non unreconcilable. I still think the story is small enough to fit, and works fairly well. I for one, dont consider it a failure, and really loved the work done.

15. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "This also fits in nicely with the editorial approach of Dave Land, who took up editing Dark Horse's Star Wars comics in late 1999. So far, Land has dedicated his editing tenure to broadening the horizons of the Star Wars comic-books, expanding them to include atypical story elements -- such as absurd humor and non-canon stories -- and allowing Land to hire a more diverse selection of comics artists to tell the stories."

Sounds as if that message you posted, wampa, in another thread, is admission that he is mostly responsible for what's going on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.