main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Underworld planned to have revealed Palpatine's love life?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by darklordoftech, Jun 16, 2016.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I'm certain that Barlog's statements are misleading.

1. Is Barlog reliable?

2. Was Barlog talking about "Palpatine" or "Darth Sidious"? Keep in mind that "Palpatine" is a weak old man who was assaulted by Mace Windu.

3. Could this woman be his mother?

Whatever the case, I sense a Luceno novel waiting to be written.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  2. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Didn't we already have a backstory for him? A novel called "Darth Plageius"?

In any event, I'm so tired of the over-used ‘villain was abused as a child, that's why he's so evil’. Palpatine being spoiled from the get go, then becoming corrupt by Plageius is better for his character in my opinion.

3. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Seagoat likes this.
  4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    This was discussed on another thread, but I just noticed that he just says that he was wronged by someone. That doesn't make his character less evil, nor does it mean that this was how he became evil (this is set between III and IV). You can sympathize with someone being wronged, even if that someone is Sidious. The fact that they managed to do that could be a hint at the series' quality.

Ezon Pin, TX-20, Valiowk and 3 others like this.
  5. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Good point.

6. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    totally agreed with your points Cushy.

I've never been one to find one dimensional villains very interesting.

There has to be some glimmer of something there in them, a spark of sympathetic emotion somewhere. Otherwise what's the point? Star Wars (for me) is deeper than Saturday morning cartoon villainy "I'm gonna take over the world cuz I'm evillllllll mmwhuahahaha" stuff. I grew out of playing with my skeletor figurine years ago.

7. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Dandelo Nor do I and thanks for the support, Luv. [:D] Sent ya a PM last night.

Dandelo likes this.
  8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Somehow it's hard to imagine him being "(emotionally) destroyed by a heartless woman"

I cared about the Emperor. They made the Emperor a sympathetic figure who was wronged by this _____ heartless woman. She’s this hardcore gangster, and she just totally destroyed him as a person.

TX-20 and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  9. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    well I prefer it than "evil for evil's sake"

Palpatine was seduced by the dark side of the force by Plagueis, Plagueis by his master, and so on and so on. If you want to make a case for the personification of evil, for me at least, I'd have to go back to the very first dark-sider or Sith. One that wasn't "indoctrinated" by any particular line of thought.

Please note I am NOT making excuses for the atrocities that any Sith/darksider/villain committed. Everyone has to take consequence for their actions. I just think the words personification of evil is a bit of a black and white argument.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  10. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Knowing the cause of why Palps ended up the way he does doesn't 'destroy' him for me. Humanisation is good. :)

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Depends on whether the "cause" remotely justifies or explains what he became.

"Some woman was mean to him" is not going to do it for me.

The Plagueis book had him recruited as a college student by the successful businessman Hego Damask (Plagueis) who was impressed by his political skills. Palpatine was a bit sociopathic anyway and discovered how much he enjoyed power.

That was a good back story. It worked.

Sob stories about bad childhoods and/or big meanies rarely work once we've been presented with a villain. The reaction becomes more along the lines of "He murdered people in cold blood. Who the hell cares at this point if some random person or people in the past were mean to him?"

12. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    **** this ****, man. You don't make evil sympathetic. Palpatine was evil, pure and simple. When you make evil sympathetic, it becomes less threatening, because you can relate with it. Evil is meant to be the ultimate evil in the galaxy. No one should ever feel sorry for him.

13. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    To me, it would probably be more like "The Empire was THAT close to not happening? That is truly sad".

At the end of the day, what we take away from it depends on our point of view. Tragic back stories to villains tend to make some of us think "Am I supposed to feel sorry for that *****?!"
    The answer is "No. You're supposed to know what happened. How that knowledge makes you feel depends on you".

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  14. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    "No one is born evil," that is correct but the dynamics of the Star Wars galaxy is different our own. The force resides in the GFFA: the force also has a will and predestination for many people. I believe a being as immensely powerful as Emperor Palpatine, most likely had a natural calling towards the dark side; this is expanded upon in the Darth Plagueis novel.

DarthCricketer likes this.
  15. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I think there is a difference between having Palpatine be a sympathetic character and making the audience root for him. He could be a sympathetic character the way Darth Maul was in The Wrath of Darth Maul by Ryder Windham or Dooku in Legacy of the Jedi by Jude Watson. The readers knew the characters were evil and committed atrocities, but still followed their stories with interest. Even if that is a bad idea for Palpatine, it should be available for those who are interested, and those who are not can ignore it.

16. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

I don't think that "Sympathetic" would make him out to be a good person. If they kept most of his character(controlling, deceptive etc) it could work.

Darth_Pevra and Lulu Mars like this.
  17. Darth Formidious

Dec 19, 2015
    I'm sorry but it would never work. It may 'work' in the sense of the prequels giving us the current backstory of Anakin, was it good? No!

I would hate Palpatine facing the same fate.

18. Rickleo123

Rickleo123 Jedi Knight star 3

May 20, 2016
    Palpatine can still be the "personification of evil" and not be some 1 dimensional cackling villian. He needs to be a fully rounded character. If they can make Satan sympathetic as Lucifer etc than Palps is no different. He offers so many layers to his character that have been unexplored

19. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    I just really don't want him to have the sob story of “Whaaaa someone was mean to me as a child, that's why I'm so evil now!!” At some point, it doesn't matter how horrid of a childhood you had, it doesn't excuse the whatever evil you do as an adult. Harry Potter, for example, had a tragic childhood, but that wouldn't excuse his behavior if he adopted Dudley's child/Draco Malfoy's child and started treating him the way Vernon Dursley treated him and/or took Aunt Marge's dog and dropped it from a second story window while taping the evil deed on his phone, then texting it to Dudley.

I could go on, but I think you all got my point. Some villains don't NEED to be sympathetic, they just need their motivations understood. I don't want to feel sorry for Palpatine. He doesn't deserve it.

Iron_lord likes this.
  20. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    What if Snoke is this woman?

21. jbryan1984

jbryan1984 Jedi Youngling

Jul 26, 2016
    I remember in an interview during the making of the prequel trilogy, Lucas said something about Palpatine and Vader having tons of women.

22. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015
    Sounds awful. Some stories don't need to be told, and Palpatine's love life is one of those.

23. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Some people don't need a reason for being who they are. Some people just have a deep seated urge to dominate others. Palpatine is one of those people. He climbed the ladder and kept climbing. He wanted absolute control, and that meant basically overriding law and order to do so. His word became law. Palpatine was one driven man who didn't take no for an answer. Life was just a chessboard.

24. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Yeah I'm really indifferent whether Palpatine has a tragic backstory but I prefer if he was pure evil from the start. Just hard to really sympathize with such a rotten person...

Davak24 likes this.
  25. Darth Formidious

Dec 19, 2015
    Okay... [face_sick]

Well said!