Uniforms

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Rogue...Jedi, Jan 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Saw this in a local weekly newspaper today...

It's not a criticism, it's an observations
    Football fashion failing fast

By Mike Cox

As the bowl games signal an end to another college football season, I need to fuss a little about something that should be very important to all sports fans across this great land of ours. Fashion.

During the last weekend in November, I settled in to watch a rivalry game featuring Oregon and Oregon State. I expected one of those high scoring affairs the Pac Ten is famous for. They don't play defense out west.

I wasn't ready for an affront to the senses of anyone who has ever tried to match a shirt and pants. Oregon has the worst uniforms in college football. The black and green and yellow scheme is further horrifying with the style of uniforms the Ducks use. Every single combination, and they have several, is so ugly it defies description.

Their ensemble for this particular game was as garish as I expected. What I wasn't ready for was the equally putrid home uniforms the Beavers were dressed in. Black and orange is unacceptable for any occasion except Halloween. Large expanses of it should be a federal crime. The uniform combination was so ugly I turned the channel by the end of the first quarter.

It looked like a Division III playoff game or rugby. The sight spurred me to list a few dos and don'ts for fashion impaired coaches and athletic directors. With uniforms getting more obscene, and High Definition becoming more prevalent, we need to get back to basic fashion sense in college football.

Rule number one; Never, ever, ever wear the same color jersey and pants, unless it is classic white. No exceptions.

Number two; Keep uniform combinations to a minimum. A home set, a road set, and maybe one special jersey for major occasions or when the home team wants the crowd really fired up.

Rule three; Basic trim is a must. No weird shaped numbers, no crome plate look on the shoulder pads, no multi-colored piping on the pants.

Rule four; Keep the Nike Swoosh indiscreet. I know most programs pay an obscene amount to advertise shoes, but this isn't NASCAR.

Rule five; Make sure to get a jersey large enough to cover the midsections of big, fat, offensive linemen and lengthy enough to stay tucked. No one wants to see that much quivering flesh.

Rule six; If team colors clash, change something. Tradition is no reason to dress like a Slobovian on a Saturday night. If you wonder whether there's a problem, there probably is.

Rule seven; Orange. I know I'm prejudiced, but let's face it: orange is meant for convicts, hunters, and highway department flaggers. If your team colors involve orange, try to keep it to a minimum. Use orange for trim or a subdued, tasteful jersey shade. And if your coach weighs more than 250, he should never be seen in a solid orange shirt. Are we straight, Coach Fulmer?

See, this is easy to fix. Follow a few guidelines and get back on track. Call me if you have any questions. Except for Oregon, they need to start over completely.

<end article>

I don't agree with all of his rules, but I got a kick out of the article. And Oregon's jersey are hideous.
  2. Rohniss Jedi Master

star 4
    I agree,

The BEST looking uniforms to me, are the simple classic ones.. Penn State's and Alabama's notably.

No weird colors, no big symbols, simple 2 color scheme, just a number on the Jersey no names (one of the few things I dislike about our current uniform)
  3. SueAsideRide Force Ghost

star 4
    I hate fancy-looking "modern" uniforms, like the ones worn by several NHL teams in the mid to late 90s. Most of those rules could apply to just about any sport.
  4. s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod

star 7
    That article is funny!

Especially since it rips on teams that use Orange...**cough**tu**cough**
  5. Saruman-the-White Jedi Master

star 4
    Perfect for the U!
  6. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    Orange is a nobel color of courage and strength.

and Oregon's uniforms are the greatest uniforms on this planet.

also check these out
    [image=http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/images/articles/fixed/150/0/2006711113612937.jpeg]
  7. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    It rips on orange partly because the writer is from Columbia, SC and is a Gamecock fan... and partly because orange really is an ugly color. That doesn't go with anything.

and rech, I think those compete with Oregon in terms of ugliness... but fall just short.
  8. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey, Oregon uniforms have been worse, so that guy should shut the hell up and slap himself a couple of times! :p

Oh, and try to say that author's name really fast. Couldn't help but notice...
  9. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    You mean Oregon's had worse uniforms than this year's hideous ones?

Lets see... going through that article:
  10. Oregon has the worst uniforms: Agreed
  11. Oregon State's are ugly as well: Agreed, though they don't match Oregon's
  12. Rule 1: Agreed, though I would permit solid black as well. Other than that and white, no single color unis in football. In other sports, such as basketball, this is permitted, but not football

13. Rule 2: I would agree that some teams have too many combinations.. but not a big enough issue for me to have included it if I were writing this

14. Rule 3: No chrome plate look, agreed. I would allow some variation, though, in piping and design, though certain fonts where its difficult to read the number would be banned

15. Rule 4: Eh, maybe it could stand to be smaller, but I don't think this is a big issue

16. Rule 5: Absolutely. Although I haven't noticed too many examples of linemen violating this, but maybe its because I'm subconciously trying to ingore it

17. Rule 6: Yes. Oregon, this includes you. Along with several other schools.

18. Rule 7: Absolutely. Orange piping, ok. Trim, ok. Orange jerseys, ugly.

19. No offense intended to Oregon, btw.
  20. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    all white isn't good either. Texas's all white unis are my least favorite of any school
  21. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    All white isn't always good, but it can be fine. I don't have a problem with Penn State, for example (and thats really all white, including the helmet) or some others like that.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.