main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Unimportant Death Sequences, if you will.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by MAJOR_NERD_314, Apr 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MAJOR_NERD_314

MAJOR_NERD_314 Jedi Youngling

Apr 3, 2009
    I have a little something I use in books, films, video games, pretty much anything with a storyline, that I like to call unimportant deaths. These are pretty much deaths of characters that are important to the plot, and/or more of a main character, that dies in a very abrupt and uneventful death. To be classified as an "unimportant death" the deaths have to be sudden, and have little to no mention later on in the story. It would seem as the character was just used as needed, and then BAM, they are taken away just like that.
    When thinking of this in a Star Wars context, I usually imagine the death of Jango Fett. He is fighting in the arena, gets his head cut off nice and quick, and then little mention is made later. After the battle, Boba is seen holding the helmet of his father. That's pretty much it for direct mentions of his death. It could be argued that it is that moment in fact, that brought Boba Fett to become a bounty hunter, but that is rather indirect, and Boba would have been likely to become a bounty hunter himself anyway.
    Boba Fett is also a victim of this I'm afraid (at least in the context of the films). He is launched into the Sarlaac pit and bye-bye, that's the last of him. Although an avid fan would know that this didn't actually kill him, this still counts because there is no mention of it later in the film.
    So to make this an actual topic, any of you guys know of any other characters who have fallen victim to an "unimportant death" sequence?

2. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    This made me think of the recent tragedy in the news where a healthy man dropped dead while using his Wii fit. They are calling it Sudden Adult Death Syndrome or SADS.

Anyway, in the movies, the Kit Fisto, Saesee Tiin, and Eeth Koth (the Jedi who accompany Mace to arrest Palpatine) die so quickly you could easily miss that they were killed in the first place.

3. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Yeah it did.

4. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    Kit Fisto, Saesee Tiin, Eeth Koth, everyone on Alderaan, Greedo,Jabba and Salacious Crumb all have uniportant death scenes or scenes that could have been built apon.

[face_dancing] [face_dancing] 500th post!!!![face_dancing] [face_dancing]

5. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I'd say the Fetts carry the trophy for THIS interesting idea.

I'm ok with how Kitt, Saesee, and Agen died, and everyone in Order 66, cos we never really saw much of them, and some never had a line in the episodes even.

[face_thinking]
    Others are Tarkin, such a vile character, main character in ANH, and he just...blows up, and...actually I'd say Dooku! I know, it's how the story had to go, but I mean, he just sat there, and didn't SAY anything...This guy was the LEADER of the CIS! You'd think he'd go out a bit more...."proudly," even though he WAS in "cahoots" with Sidious...

6. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru.

The people of Alderaan.

Biggs.

Neither Luke nor Leia shed a tear for these folks; what's worse, they're never mentioned again in the subsequent films.

(If you don't find this peculiar, watch a Lord of the Rings flick, where the heroes fall to their knees and weep whenever a flower is crushed.)

7. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    I really don't think any character death is unimportant or unnecessary. Everything adds to the plot, even something that doesn't happen.

8. MAJOR_NERD_314

Apr 3, 2009
    I didnt count jabbas death because he was strangled and it wasnt ubrupt enough for me :D

9. MAJOR_NERD_314

Apr 3, 2009
    nuh uh
    in the movies he appears dead
    it is found that he didnt actually die at that time in the books and stuff

10. MAJOR_NERD_314

Apr 3, 2009
    I forgot about tarkin's death being so abrupt, which is sad because i watched the movie the other day XD

11. MAJOR_NERD_314

Apr 3, 2009
    Luke woulda cried but he was more angry and set off with ben

And biggs is a good one
    It would seem as Luke totally forgot about him...

12. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    I agree, I forgot Biggs! It's like Luke didn't even notice it was his FRIEND that died. I just pass it off as he was "concentrating." and that he probably mourned later. (there could have been at least a WEEK'S time between the destruction of the Death Star and the final throne room scene, after all.)

13. BarkingFrog

BarkingFrog Jedi Master star 2

Jan 4, 2009
    I've always found it weird how Luke is so upset over Obi-Wan dying, after only knowing him for a day or so. He lived with his aunt and uncle for 20 years, and probably knew Biggs for many of those years but their deaths didn't seem to affect him that much.

14. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Luke had met Ben before the events in ANH.

When he died, he was all Luke had left in the way of family at that point.

15. superpowers

superpowers Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 2009
    that is true go-mer and that scene is truly pathetic. Here is why

"It's apparent that the intent of this scene was to show how powerful Sidious is. Unfortunately, it fails for two reasons. 1.) We haven't really seen these Jedi do anything worthy of note. Aside from Kit Fisto deflecting blaster fire from battle droids in the previous movie (which, if these movies are any indicator, it seems anyone holding a lightsaber is able to do), we haven't seen him do anything outside of the cartoon series to show that he is even a subpar Jedi. Given our lack of knowledge about the inept Jedi "Masters" that Palpatine faces, he might as well be striking down his cleaning lady. 2.) The Jedi die so quickly, by such weak attacks, that they just look like a collection of fools.

If they'd already been shown as skilled swordsmen, then it would be quite shocking that Palpatine dispatched them so easily. Unfortunately, we don't know them from a hole in the wall, so Palpatine's seemingly harmless attacks make them look like unskilled circus performers."

"Saesee dies immediately. He is technically ranked as a 'Master,' though you wouldn't know it the way he holds his lightsaber in the manner most would hold a vacuum cleaner, yet uses it to even less of a defensive advantage. The novelization goes into great albeit unnecessary detail about how he had two horns but one got cut off in combat but had grown back perfectly so that one could not even tell. This makes one wonder why the horn being cut off was even brought up in the first place.

"Kolar lasts a second longer than Tiin, but wields his lightsaber even less expertly. By this point, the viewer is wondering if Mace even bothered to find Jedi to accompany him to Palpatine's office, or if he just rounded up some panhandlers along the way and handed out lightsabers. "

"Kit Fisto is everyone's favorite Jedi whose name sounds like a bizarre sexual fetish. We know Kit Fisto is going to put up some fight based on his major role in the Clone Wars cartoon series. However, while Fisto does great things in the cartoon fighting alongside the Mon Calamari and using his lightsaber underwater his technique in the movie seems to more closely resemble that of a frightened, blind gimp than a Jedi Master. Fisto just holds out his lightsaber with a look of total panic on his face. His notoriety from the Clone Wars series appears to only buy him a few extra seconds of screen time before finally being struck down."

more examples of the pathetic writing in the prequels go-mer. it never ends

16. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    And that's why the books fiddle with the films. If that was the case, perhaps jabba should have found a more dangerous pit. What's to stop Luke from escaping? Fett died, plain and simple.

17. MAJOR_NERD_314

Apr 3, 2009
    The Pit of Carcoon is very dangerous, Boba Fett is one of the best bounty hunters in the galaxy, and could survive such a danger. That's like saying Jabba should have had something more dangerous than a Rancor just because Luke was able to defeat it. Rancors are still hardcore, as is the Sarlaac Pit.

18. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    That's pathetic editing, not pathetic writing.

19. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Are these your opinions?

There's a lot of purging to do in Episode III, I think it makes better sense to let the audience assume Mace had the best Jedi at his side, but Sidious was just that much better than them due to the dark side.

20. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003

There was interesting insight in the novelization of ROTS (which I recently finished) that kind of helps explain how that scene went...before they met Mace Windu, and before they entered Palpatine's office, Saesee Tiin, Agen Kolar, and Kitt Fisto are talking together about how they would "feel better if Yoda or Anakin was with them." Mace replied basically saying, "these are the people we have availiable, and that will have to do." (not in those exact words, but that was the general message). It was almost as if they (except for Mace) were going into it, not entirely confident they could defeat this Sidious from the beginning...

It just helped me rationalize how we see them die so quickly in the duel.

21. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Luke didn't have a jet pack or a grenade launcher. Fett did. That's why Fett escaped. Maybe you should actually read the books before you disparage them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.