main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga "Unique" shots ( Note: Image heavy, may contain Ep VII spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by bstnsx704, Dec 3, 2014.

1. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Because I couldn't think of a better name. Anyways, anyone have any particular shots from the saga that stand out to you as being different, for one reason or another?

To start off, I'll post these. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure these two extreme closeups mark the closest the camera ever gets to the characters' faces, and it makes for an interesting (and slightly jarring, though not at all in a bad way) segue into the rest of their confrontation.

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I'm gonna jump the gun here and go with this image for TFA -

(Mod edit: EpVII / The Force Awakens spoilers)

[​IMG]

Now, as for this thread idea in general, I'm going to share why I already love this thread and why I adore this shot so.
    Many people, I've seen, are saying that this shot (and the cutting of the scene in general) is very un-SW like. I agreed at first, until realizing that each SW ep so far has used some kind of unique shot not seen in the other films. I feel that a shot like this can become just as iconic as any other shot in SW. I feel that the uniqueness of this shot, a style thus far unseen in SW, is a good sign that new things can be tried and still find a way to fit in, even if it did not at first

Now the word "shot" will sound weird to me for the next hour or so

3. Cael-Fenton

Cael-Fenton Jedi Master star 3

Jun 22, 2006
    Can't screencap now, but I'm thinking of that (Anakin's) POV shot in Watto's shop in TPM. I believe that was the first POV shot in SW.

Re the OP: I find those shots interesting (because they're so seldom used in SW), but I'm glad Lucas never overdid the extreme closeups for dramatic effect -- that would have been pretty pedestrian and tiresome.

Samnz likes this.
  4. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002
    I've always enjoyed the shot of Queen Amidala in Episode I where she's just standing at that large window as the invasion begins to take place. I think it does a really swell job at conveying how small she must feel, even as a queen, when confronted with these events that spun out of galaxy-wide politics. How powerless she must feel.

5. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    I always thought this was cool with the smoke and all

6. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    I'm not seeing any image....

7. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    Trying to steer clear of the most obvious choices, with maybe one or two exceptions...

Playful first-person POVs of Anakin.​
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Oddly peculiar and peculiarly dangerous shot of Padme at the window.​
    [​IMG]
    Classic tone-setter. Perfect shadow composition.​
    [​IMG]
    Subtle foreground alignment of Obi-Wan's eyeline; what he now knows made economically clear.​
    [​IMG]
    Painting.​
    [​IMG]
    Without a doubt, the single best insert of the entire saga.​
    [​IMG]
    One of my favorite scales. Elegant simplicity.​
    [​IMG]
    The spartan angles and micro-boxing of A New Hope.​
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Gritty Kurosawa image.​
    [​IMG]
    Composition + editing = meta-spatial two-shot.​
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Painting. Or, Luke observing a painting.​
    [​IMG]
    Speed-line framing. Or, hyper-composition.​
    [​IMG]
    Sibling side profile.​
    [​IMG]

8. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Cool topic, bstnsx704

I've always wondered why Lucas chose to go that close with the camera on Obi-Wan and Grievous ... one reason might have been to make it extra-obvious that Grievous is in part organic ... but there is also a sense of danger that's otherwise not necessarily there with Grievous. Still, I would have rather expected to such extreme close-ups during the Anakin/Obi-Wan battle to make it even more "unique" - but Lucas certainly saw that there duel was unique enough the way it was.

Ingram_I has already, as always, made a strong contribution. My first thought also would have been the shot from 3PO's POV. I have to say I wasn't consciously aware of the fact that there is a shot from Anakin's POV before, so thanks Cael-Fenton ;) , but 3PO's is certainly a lot more interactive. It's a POV shot (which on its own is rare) from 3PO's eyes (extremely rare, if not to say unique) with a little boy looking almost penetratively into the camera (very, very rare), which follows him rather rapidly (quite rare), then walking out of the room smilingly waving (bizarrely rare). Quite obviously one of the most unique or different or unusual shot of all the films.

I also really like the whole Nightclub scene in AOTC, and Ingram_I gave us a great example. Much like in the later scene when Obi-Wan is sneaking around on Geonosis, there is some suble camera and editing work that makes those scenes and shots a bit more vivid or lively than what we're used to in Star Wars while still (thankfully) not making it nearly as obtrusive and priggish as it is common in modern blockbuster moviemaking. It's one of those traits that make AOTC so enjoyable for me. The subtle adjustments to the camera during this shot with Obi-Wan as he kneels down to spy on Dooku is a good example (watch it! :) ):
    [​IMG]

I would also think of the early TPM shot when Palpatine's transmission to the Naboo throne room is suddenly disrupted. The shot starts out with a - for Star Wars - perfectly conventional and regular trucking shot which then turns suddenly into a very rapid pan to Amidala, gets closer on her (and - in part back - to Panaka). I've always though this kind of established that Amidala and Palpatine are irreversibly linked in a way that neither character has yet realized. What happens to one of them will effect the other and as one gets stronger, the other gets weaker.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Also quite unsual because it's so startling.

I'm sure there are plenty of other "unique shots" from all the films, but I'm too lazy to think about it right now :) I'd also say my favourite shot of Anakin in AOTC is quite unique with its unique perfection - horizontal lines, vertical lines and some diagonal tendencies in it - its tranquility and harmony, the mood it creates. Anakin being in "Jedi mode" is quite unique on its own, although we're all to aware of the fact that he's actually concerned about his mother in a way that no Jedi is supposed to be.
    [​IMG]

9. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Can we do them from The Clone Wars? because if we can there's tonnes:
    [​IMG]
    The Shadows the lighting one of the best scenes in Star Wars.
    [​IMG]
    This one sticks out because of how alone Ahsoka is. She's trapped surrounded by Imperial deco.
    [​IMG]
    Which in itself is a reference to ESB

10. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013

Absolutely fantastic post Ingram (as should be expected, by your track record). The playful 3PO POV shot has always been a favorite of mine, and I especially love the "painting" shots that you picked up on. Took some gorgeous shots and made them look and sound even more beautiful on their own.

But this in particular is one that just completely wowed me. I haven't been a Kurosawa fan for very long, though now that I've discovered him I'm trying to get caught up and let his work really soak in. Very quickly he has become one of my favorite filmmakers of all time. I know how much of an influence he had on George Lucas and Star Wars, but for some reason I never picked up on the allusion in this shot. Now that you brought this to light, all I'm seeing is the beginning of Rashomon, with the characters holed out in the gate and the rain pouring outside, or the final battle in Seven Samurai.

Ewok Poet and Cryogenic like this.
  11. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Well, man-machine motif aside...

I think a more pertinent link there is that they're both wearing "masks".

Lucas is very good at stitching those shots in, right where they're needed .... IMO.

I do love that shot.

There is always the sense that someone or something is "watching" you in Star Wars.

Star Wars is watching you. Search your feelings. You know it to be true.

Well, they're essentially having a conversation in a castle, with a ghost.

Not that there's anything scary (or symbolically relevant) about that. [face_whistling]

One of the most achingly poetic shots in the saga, I'd say.

I do love those symmetries. ATTack of the Clones. Episode II. Pillars. Legs parted. "V" for Vader.

The beautiful rays of light hidden behind a pillar (metaphoric of so much about Anakin and the movie generally).

Vines, crawling up the walls (creepy crawlies -- kouhuns/bedroom scene), strangling the posts .... disturbed thoughts taking over Anakin.

The subtle scarlet flare on the left pillar -- blood, lips, light bleeding through (there are numerous instances of this red-flare effect in AOTC's cinematography).

And the way the reflections in the floor look like an oil painting. Don't fall into the floor, Anakin...

The floor is something we must fight against.
    Whilst seemingly mere platform for the human
    stance, it is that place that men fall to.
    I am not dizzy. I stand as a tower, a lighthouse;
    the pale ray of my sentiency flowing from my face.

But should I go dizzy I crash down into the floor;
    my face into the floor, my attention bleeding into
    the cracks of the floor.

Dear horizontal place, I do not wish to be a rug.
    Do not pull at the difficult head, this teetering
    bulb of dread and dream . . .

http://www.americanpoems.com/poets/Russell-Edson/2493

Also, run an image search on Google, and use the string "hitler berghof". See what AOTC in this part is evoking.

Ingram_I is one of this site's greatest contributors. And that is, indeed, a fantastic image, with a lot of powerful humanity in it.

Always more to discover in this saga, there is.

12. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    I'd be lying if I denied the fact that, in some ways, the few threads I make exist in part to get some great responses out of great folks like Cryogenic and Ingram_I and a bunch of our other fantastic members. Great posts from everybody all around so far, and thanks to all of you for helping me to, one piece at a time, open up and see all that there is to see in this saga.

Cael-Fenton, Samnz and Cryogenic like this.
  13. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v508/SnakePlisken/SidMacCor4.jpg~original

This one sticks out to me because the Galaxy depends on the outcome of this. I love how the background reinforces this and it subtlety tells you the stakes of the battle.
    http://www.chud.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/starwars-00035.png

My favourite scene in the whole of the Wars. The Tragedy of Darth Plaguies scene sticks because he's built up very well and I love how when they are discussing it there's a "show" of weird moving liquid to an ominous sound-almost a groan that just adds to his myth because I always thought that could have been him trying to reach out due to the mention of his name- obviously it's probably not the case but it was just one of those things I thought.

http://www.thepensieve.net/moigallery/albums/userpics/10001/cap021~139.jpg
    Another of the best scenes where Padme looks out over coruscant and Anakin does the same. -images of this scene seem to be few on the internet- I like how they know each other well enough that they can half tell what the other is doing. Padme cries and Anakin decides is what I call that scene.
    https://secure.static.tumblr.com/21...blr_static_7bpiiz2o5544k08480scw44ko_1280.gif

This Highlights how young Padme is and how she wants to/ has shed the responsibilities of being a leader. (the playful aspect of AOTC also shows this- I didn't over like it because you know... love. but I respect what it showed us.)

I'm trying to avoid the obvious ones by the way.

Seagoat and Cryogenic like this.
  14. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Wonderful pics/picks there, Darthmaul208!

I'm very fond of that last one of Padme. I agree that it shows her playful, even bashful side, and that it shades her character as one that is still, indeed, very young, and hiding emotional currents and yearnings within.

It's all the better that it occurs in combination with, and is brought out of her because of, the equally-bashful Jar Jar, who essentially allows Padme to drop her guard a little, which is one of these micro-motifs embedded within TPM, and a plot-strand -- world-detail-strand? -- that becomes important later on.

Without the "lighter" side of Star Wars, where would we all be?

Darthmaul208 and Seagoat like this.
  15. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    One thing I've always noticed about that Grevious/Obi Wan pair of shots, is how much of a discrepency there is in the presentation between the photographed image and the CGI one. Obi Wan very much exists in the same slightly fuzzed, low contrast digital camera world of much of AOTC and ROTS, where as General Grevious is given a higher contrast, super clear dramatic close-up in all his computer-rendered glory (fantastic effects work on Grevious in this film all around, I have to say.). They almost occupy different worlds. I noticed this with a lot of Yoda's close ups in conversations as well. The CGI characters, it seems, were in some cases rendered with (if I may be so bold) a greater (or at least different) level of photographic accuracy in respect to colors and light. Of course better is subjective, but there is a difference.

That pair of shots is part of a photographic trend I've noticed unique to ROTS that involves people and objects being pushed into the face of the audience. A few other examples I've picked up on:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    @Han Burgundy
    I agree on those points. I think Grievous looks clearer (better) because he's cgi and if he came out a single colour it wouldn't look right- the example that comes to mind is The Hulk if he was just one colour.- The contours and "armour" are honestly beautiful and that's why grievous is one of my favourite character (plus he's ruthless and kills Jedi- "crush them, Make them Suffer". The armour just reminds you he's a warrior not a villain.

As to the "in your face look" ROTS. George did consider making/filming ROTS in 3d but he decide the technology wasn't ready for it to work. Maybe this stems from that either deliberately (gah like Spideyman and other lower quality films- Smurfs) or subconsciously and he just did without really thinking about it. How it affects the story for me makes it the best film.

The film had the right mix of comedy that wasn't stupid (I sense a trap, Next step spring the trap" as opposed to chopper riding ", Action (a masterclass in that), Emotion, Characters, Tragedy, Consequences, Atmosphere. (I could go on it detail about all this stuff).

The thing with ROTS that I noticed and loved is how personal it is and how actions really speak about the character (below) and how ANY(Bail Organa for instance) of these characters could change the galaxy presented better than any other sw film/story we've seen (mortis is probably second).

The Lightsaber gives a lot away about a character (that's unique to sw):

Yoda- When he get's it out to stop Sideous he does so defensively ("The force is used for defence never for attack"). Part of him doesn't want to fight but he realises he has to.

Mace- Activates it much like a sword, Noble and with honour. He's believes he's right and is not just determined but part of him's overconfident that it will be easy to arrest him. I always saw some sort of satisfaction that he has when he finally fights because Sideous is a skilled as he is and it's a challenge. (also comes from the same feeling from SLJ)

Sideous- Lightsaber drops out of sleeve and then he jumps. Maybe one of the silly parts of ROTS ( I found it a little jarring same with cgi Palpatine). He always has a backup plan and is a master of sneak attacks. He's also willing to just give it everything when he knows that the other jedi's are no match for him.

Anakin- the kid scene doesn't really need explain but I might do that one sometimes in the future.

A lightsaber is symbolic and is kinda like hair colour in Anime. When Rebels gives us silly spinning lightsabers and gun combos it ruins it. Same with the ST but the Broadsaber does serve a purpose (up for analysis as well?). Another weapon comes to mind- githany's force whip from the bane novels but alas it was a while since I read them.

No images tonight though but Ill do some, some sometime.

17. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Thought of this thread when watching SW a few weeks ago

There's this bizarre shot where Padme is in the bucket thingy for the molten steel (or durasteel or whatever) to be poured in where, as she's panicking, there's this quick, dramatic camera zoom. Don't recall seeing that elsewhere....

bstnsx704 and Darthmaul208 like this.