main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canada Uni's in Canada

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Ooryl Qyrgg, Aug 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ooryl Qyrgg

Ooryl Qyrgg Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 25, 2000
    I'm considering coming to Canada for a year to study, but I don't know where to study.

I live in Sydney, and can't speak French!!

Here's the list, and tell me which you recommend either for or against:

U Alberta
    U Brit Columbia
    McGill Uni
    Queens U
    U Toronto

2. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    What are your grades and financial situation? Also, what are you planning to take?

McGill is located in the French province, so your lack of knowledge of French might make that one a bit difficult.

I don't know a whole lot about Queens, Toronto, and Alberta. Are you sure Queens is in Canada? Sounds more like New York to me.

I do know of U of British Columbia, however, and I think it's a great school in a great city. It's an excellent choice.

Also, I have a few more good universities to add to that list:

-U of Western Ontario, which is in London, Ontario, near Toronto.
    -U of Saskatchewan, which is in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
    -U of Victoria, which is in Victoria, British Columbia. Again, nice school in a nice city.

I personally am probably going to Western.

3. KitFist0

KitFist0 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2001
    Concordia U is also in Montreal like Mcguil, its very good U.

4. Uriana

Uriana Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2002
    Queens University is in Kingston, Ontario. I don't recommend University of Toronto, although Toronto is a wonderful city. There are universities in Ontario with higher standings than U of T. The University of Waterloo, for example.

5. MASTER_OBI-DAN

MASTER_OBI-DAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2002
    This is an excellent but difficult question, Ooryl Qyrgg.

As Admiral_Thrawn60 said:

What are your grades and financial situation? Also, what are you planning to take?

These are huge questions, as good grades and finances can open many doors, while some instituions are more recognized in some fields more so than others.

My recommendation is that you do your research thoroughly (E.g.: looking at university websites - for tuition, admin requirements, housing, etc.) and try to speak to each of us who has posted on this thread individually (regarding the universities in our respective regions) via PM.

I myself, live in the Greater Vancouver area and can speak for UBC and if you're interested, SFU (my alma mater). ;)

Yours truly,
    Dan

6. AT-ST_DRIVER

AT-ST_DRIVER Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    St. John's memorial University in Newfoundland rules. i went there for awhile this year. the ppl are really friendly. it's pretty cool.

EDIT: i know someone who goes to Carlton University in Ottawa. he says it's pretty cool.

7. Ooryl Qyrgg

Ooryl Qyrgg Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 25, 2000
    My first preference is U of BC, but I really don't know enough details at either end to know what to do.

8. MASTER_OBI-DAN

MASTER_OBI-DAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2002
    My first preference is U of BC, but I really don't know enough details at either end to know what to do.

Dear Ooryl Qyrgg,
    Browse through UBC's Website, formulate some questions and then send them to me via PM. Together, we'll both work out any queries that you might have.

Yours truly,
    Dan

9. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    Hiyas Ooryl,

I live in Edmonton, and I know that the U of A is one of the finest Universities in Canada. You can head on over to their website at http://www.ualberta.ca/, and if you have any questions about Edmonton, I would be more than happy to answer them for you, as I have lived here for more than 10 years. If you need anything, please let me know, as I would be more than willing to help out. Drop me a Private Message, or email me at indigojade@fanforce.net and you can also find me hanging around the Edmonton FanForce messageboard.

Edmonton is a beautiful city, it gets cold in winter of course, but it isn't too bad. There is plenty of living accomidations in the University area, and there are a LOT of things to do... including our mall, West Edmonton Mall. This mall includes: A skating rink, dolphin shows, submarine rides (no kidding) a full amusement park including a triple loop roller coaster, a mini golf course, and 3 theater complexes. As well as 2 food courts and "Bourbon Street" that has about 10-15 restaurants. Quite the place... :)

And hey, it doesn't hurt to mention that my dad is also a travel agent, so if you need help with your trip, I will get you guys in contact... :)

May the Force be with you all,

Indy

10. Lelila

Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 1999
    I'm in my second year at Western now (it's in London, Ontario). I applied and got into Queens, U of T and McGill, and went to see all of them. I chose Western because of distance and residence, it's a pretty nice place to be. The residences were the best ones that I saw in all the universities I toured, also they give entrance scholarships.

Although McGill is in Montreal, all of its courses are taught in English, Concordia is one in Montreal that does it in French. Montreal is an incredible and beautiful city, and most people are bilingual so you do not need french to get by. My parents both went to McGill and my father speaks no french and he didn't have a problem. The thing with McGill is that sometimes it is hard to get residence. When I got in, I live in Toronto, only about 70% of the people who got into McGill were offered residence, and about 20% were on the waiting list. The others were out of luck and had to make their own arrangements. The residences are pretty old though. McGill is also cheaper, especially for those in Quebec.

U of T is really, really competitive and stressful, according to all my friends that go there. It is really big, and I get the impression that you really feel like a number. Toronto is a really exciting city to live in.

I hear that U BC is a beautiful campus, and Vancouver rocks! I also know that scholarships are a lot easier to get there than many of the other uni's on your list.

Queens is in Kingston which is really small, and it's a really famous and old university, like McGill and U of T. I personally really like the campus though there's not much to do in Kingston. The residences weren't bad though, but not as good as Western's.

I guess that it depends what it is you want to study, because, of course some universities are better in some areas than others :)

Hope this helps!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.