main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Unit Fox-Hound. The Metal Gear discussion thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by WarmasterDan, Nov 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WarmasterDan

WarmasterDan Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 3, 2002
    The Metal Gear games has had a major impact on the world of video games. They showed fighting alone does not make a game. This thread is where you can discuss Metal Gear, Solid Snake,Solid,VR missions,Sons of Liberty and anything related to Metal Gear.

2. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    I'll be getting Substance in three days. I played three of the levels in a rent, and they were superb. VR missions were alo entertaining and I barely dented them in an hour's worth of play. The storyline and production costs are both amazing.

3. WarmasterDan

Sep 3, 2002
    I have to wait till March to get because I have a PS2. I own Solid and Sons of Liberty. What were the levels about?

4. Dan

Mar 15, 1999
    Same levels as in Sons of Liberty. The first two are with Snake, the third with Raiden.

It's the same game, only with added content, VR missions, alternative storyline missions, and "Snake Tales" or something like that. Sort of like a special edition DVD.

5. WarmasterDan

Sep 3, 2002
    Cool. Now lets start a debate. Do you think Liquid Snake was evil?

6. 1stAD

1stAD Jedi Youngling star 5

May 10, 2001
    If anyone hasn't already, I encourage you to dig around teh introweb for an MSX emulator and the Metal Gear 2 game (yeah yeah, it's illegal, but lets face it, no one's going to find an original MSX2 and Metal Gear 2 to play). For a 16 bit game it is amazing in the amount of depth of gameplay it offers. Everything you can do in Metal Gear Solid (aside from the first person view) you can do in Metal Gear 2.

7. WarmasterDan

Sep 3, 2002
    Cool info 1stAD. Now to the debate. After beating Solid and Sons of Liberty several times I have came to the decision that Liquid is not evil. Think about it. It was not his idea to do Shadow Mosses but Solidus. Plus you found out Liquid hate The Patriots. The only evil person so far is Ocelot.

8. Dan

Mar 15, 1999
    I never played the MGS on the PSX, unfortunately. I really missed out on it. Were there any Metal Gear games before the one on PSX?

Sorry I can't debate. I haven't played enough of the game to understand much about Liquid Snake. What I gather is that they're brothers (is there a third one) who have some sort of powers, or something.

9. 1stAD

May 10, 2001
    If anyone is evil, it is Big Boss. The sequence of events he triggered in the 1990's that created Outer Heaven and Zanzibar Land led to Snake killing Big Boss and Gray Fox, led to Liquid's hatred of Big Boss, etc. But then again, Big Boss' dream of Outer Heaven may have been more than a megalomaniacal plan for global domination, maybe he was fighting against the Patriots...

I remember a whacked-out theory a while back that Revolver Ocelot was actually Big Boss (or at least another clone) based on character sketches from Metal Gear Solid that were very similar. Who knows ;)

Interesting tidbit: when fighting Gray Fox in Metal Gear 2, the "minefield" that you combat in (and that destroyed Gray Fox's body) is actually like only 3 or 4 mines spread across the screen. Hardly a dangerous encounter [face_laugh]

10. 1stAD

May 10, 2001
    Dan, the previous Metal Gear games:

For the MSX and NES, Metal Gear. NES also had a Metal Gear 2: Snake's Revenge game that's pretty much disowned by series creator Hideo Kojima (I think this was a US-only release). For the MSX2 there was the sequel, Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake. And then of course, for the PSX there was Metal Gear: Solid. There's also a Gameboy Color Metal Gear: Ghost Babel, but I haven't played much of it. I'm not sure how it fits into the storyline, but it does allude to Raiden's character in Sons of Liberty.

Don't worry too much if you haven't played the very old Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2, Metal Gear Solid is basically a remake of the first two games. The plot follows along very similar lines as the first two games and there's even a full-text review of the previous stories.

If I were you, I'd pick up the PC version of Metal Gear Solid. It's only $10-$15, has much better graphics than the PSX version, and includes the VR missions game.

11. WarmasterDan

Sep 3, 2002
    Cool idea. I think Ocelot is Solidus'(who is a clone of Big Boss)right hand man. He stoled Metal Gear Ray at the begining of Sons of Liberty. He took it for The Patriots. Later the Big Shell incident was started because of Solidus hatered of The Patriots. Ocelot works for The Patriots and by his actions I think he is evil.

12. DUM-4

DUM-4 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 1999
    Were there any Metal Gear games before the one on PSX?

There's at least 2 MG games for the NES.

13. Dan

Mar 15, 1999
    1stAD, you actually just reminded me that I got the PC version for Christmas two years ago, but I never played it! Totally forgot about it. I'll have to load it up one of these days.

14. WarmasterDan

Sep 3, 2002
    Yes. There was Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake.

15. 1stAD

May 10, 2001
    Wrong, Ocelot took Ray for Solidus in order to create a situation that mimicked the Shadow Moses incident to test Raiden's abilities (and to see if S3 conditioning could produce the perfect soldier). The Patriots have no interest in the Ray program, which was a clandestine Marine Corps project anyways. Remember, the Patriots are developing Arsenal Gear, a Navy-built fortress.

In any event, the whole Arsenal/Ray conflict is a shell game for the true project, the S3 conditioning that Raiden underwent.

16. DUM-4

DUM-4 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 1999
    [image=http://www.atarihq.com/tsr/nes/metal-b.jpg]

17. WarmasterDan

Sep 3, 2002
    Oh yay you are right. It has been awile sense I played it. Since you brought up the S3 project who do you belive told the truth. Ocelot or Colonel?
    EDIT: Sweet pic.

18. 1stAD

May 10, 2001
    First off, the NES port of Metal Gear is horrible. The game starts you off in a really weird place, forcing you to infiltrate INTO Outer Heaven itself. The original MSX version takes you straight into Outer Heaven. And then all of the mercs in the NES versions have no shirts for some strange reason. Worst of all, this game was released around the time of the Libyan crisis and there is a very cheesy allusion to Momar Qadaffi (Vernon Cattaffy or something).

But anyhoo, you can't really rely on the words of Ocelot or the "Colonel" (the one Raiden speaks to is an AI, the real Colonel Campbell is in league with Snake and Otacon). AI Colonel is deliberately pushing Raiden to his physical and psychological limits to see if he'll crack or not, and now I don't even know who the hell Ocelot is working for. Liquid is now in control of Ocelot's body, so that muddles the issue even further.

19. WarmasterDan

Sep 3, 2002
    You are right. That is why I like the games is because of the plot twists. Can't wait till next year and MGS3. I wish we would find out how Liquid takes control of Ocelot's body.

20. WarmasterDan

Sep 3, 2002
    Hello everyone. Any got any new Metal Gear stuff to talk about?

21. Mateo

Mateo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    They have that new Metal Gear Solid game on Xbox, one thing i hate about Metal Gear Solid on PSX is how stupid the Genome Soldiers are,snake bumps into one and punches him out and goes into hiding under a drum or behind a wall in a far corner of the room and the soldiers run around for a couple of seconds like idiots and after they fail to find Snake they basically say to themselves:"We had an intruder in the compound but he just vanished for a couple of seconds so hes either left the base by now or got just a figment of my immagination and didnt even really exist at all,Attention intruder alert was false everybody go back to your mindless patrols or go back to sleep in the same spot all day".

Or "We fought with the intruder for a few seconds and watched him kill several of our men and disappear around the corner,we pursued him but lost sight of him and he either got killed by another group of soldiers who failed to tell us and removed his body or he found some good hiding place and we'll never find him again so cancel red alert boys!"

22. Invid_Clone

Invid_Clone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 14, 2002
    LOL@Mateo [face_laugh]

As AI cannon-fodder goes, the Genome Soldiers sucked big time. Sadly, their logic seemed to be somewhat contagious, since the Russkie 'troopers of Sons of Liberty could be just as idiotic, though far more lethal.

I wanted to know if everyone else thinks the same as me regarding MGS:SOL in that it is a visually beautiful game but hardly worth replaying due to its mediocre story? I mean, all of that metaphysical crap there at the end ruined the game for me. After seeing it to a lesser extent in MGS1, I guess that Mr. Kojima really likes spewing his social commentary/philosophical/metaphysical crap way too much.

And then there's Raiden. You know, Metal Gear is Solid Snake's thing. Why the hell did we have to put up with this pale, Johnny-Come-Lately-with-an-even-more-convoluted-background/story? I truly hope he doesn't make a comeback when-and-if MGS3 comes out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.