main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Universal Day of the Jedi May 25th

Discussion in 'Archive: North' started by Ranouch_Heath, May 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ranouch_Heath

Ranouch_Heath Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 5, 2006
    I found this while looking around the net http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Day_of_the_Jedi

I think a national hoilday is needed

2. ForceGhostOfCozmic

ForceGhostOfCozmic Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 25, 2005
    If only we could get it made a holiday

3. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Shall we (not me, I'll be in Lincoln) descend on London, banners in the air calling for a holiday for us Jedi?

4. VenHalcyon

VenHalcyon Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 26, 2005
    I could take a lightsaber to France with me...?

5. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    Hmmmm, totally not sure about this one. Here's my pov such stuff ...

I am a huge SW fan, and by huge I mean I spend some (not saying how much) of my income each year on SW books/games/comics that come out. I may even spend more than some costumers even, especially those that look down on the real SW fans, which is quite funny since there is always this hierarchy of how big a fan you are and those who think they are at the top aren't.

So yeah, I can't say I am not heavily involved in SW and that I don't love it (for it's high points and sometimes it's faults). But would I want a day (aside for the jokey "May the Fourth") dedicated to it .... and one called Universal Day of the Jedi? I think that is leaving out so much of what SW is about - the Jedi aren't the be-all and end-all of the SW universe, yes an important part, but not necessarily "the" part. If such a day were to be created, I'd for starters drop Jedi.

For all my life I've shaken off the "geek" label that idiots place on me. I really dislike being labelled something negative (and it is negative, meant to put us down) just because I like reading about one subject whereas something like ranting/drooling about men kicking a pigskin (I know they don't use that anymore btw :p ) round a field is supposedly somehow acceptable - that's just one example. I don't think this day will do us any favours, nor do we really need a day. SW is a series of film and other material, and whether it's had a huge cultural impact nonetheless, it's not part of the "real world" or our past in the way most days that are celebrated are - eg Saints days, days dedicated to fighting illnesses.

Just don't think we need it. For me as a SW fan, every day is a SW day if I want it to be. I just need to pick up a comic or book, stick a DVD in my player, go to a meet, or even just post on here. I personally don't need a day in recognition for my fandom and I think people outside of us will have a reason to look at us in a bad light, since there are more important things out there that deserve a national recognition once a year.

6. VenHalcyon

Apr 26, 2005
    DO not deny the label, become the label.

Only then can you truly understand the ways of the Force.

~The King of the Nerds.

7. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    Lol.

Keep away from me :p

8. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    And this is how I find out about it :p

9. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    i'm with tim on this. i'd celebrate other things about SW, not necessarily the jedi :p

10. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    I did mention it the other weekend. :p

11. VenHalcyon

Apr 26, 2005
    Was that before or after he fell over drunk...?

12. To_Mega_Therion

To_Mega_Therion Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 9, 2005
    This sounds like a silly idea. Some moron would want a "Universal Day of the Sith" and then another "Universal Day of the Frigers" etc... afterall, we are a society based on equality.

Everyday is Ewok day for me. :cool:

13. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Before ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.