main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Universal Studios Meet, Tuesday 10th

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by JediXtine, Dec 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    I checked out the Universal web site and I'll be doing Island of Adventure (and Harry Potter World) on Wednesday. If you see anyone in a Qui-Gon poncho, that will be me. Unless everyone else is wearing one, too. :p

2. Fistofury

Fistofury Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2002
    I'll be doing the same with my family on Tuesday :D

3. DLoSith

DLoSith Jedi Master star 1

Mar 27, 2005
    LOL!! I'll be on the lookout!

4. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    A trip to Hogwart's, anyone?

Just wondering if anyone's planning on going to Universal Orlando's new Wizarding World of Harry Potter, either before or after CV.

Both Entertainment Weekly (May 21) and Parade (May 30) magazines have had "sneak peek" articles, and tonight, NBC will be showing a half-hour special on the park:

http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/05/21/the-new-harry-potter-theme-park-we-were-there/

http://www.parade.com/celebrity/2010/05/bringing-the-world-of-harry-potter-to-life.html

(from EW):

SHOPPING:

Prepare to drop more than a few Galleons in the commercial area of Hogsmeade. There are Sneakoscopes ($15) at Zonko's joke shop; Peppermint Toads ($7) at Honeyduke's sweet shop; Quaffles ($20), Bludger's ($22), and Golden Snitches ($15) at Dervish and Banges' magic shop. (You can even buy a Firebolt broomstick - for $300.) Thanks to close supervision by the Potter films' design team, everything looks and feels precisely right, down the the absurdly high shelves and cramped, English-style layouts. In other words, expect some tight crowds. Purists may scoff that Ollivander's wand shop has been apparated here from Diagon Alley, but who cares when you can buy Sirius Black's wand ($25)?

FOOD:

Sheperd's pie and chocolate trifle are on the menu at the Three Broomsticks, and with their floppy, pointed hats, the employees do sort of look like house elves. Elbow up to the Hog's Head pub next door for a special, park-only alcoholic brew, but don't be shocked if the namesake mounted on the wall starts snarling at you.

RIDES:

There are three. Flight of The Hippogriff and Dragon Challenge are well-executed, if conventional roller coasters. The park's signature cutting-edge ride, Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, wasn't running yet during our visi. But that hardly mattered, since the queue for it takes guests on a bewitching journey through Hogwart's castle itself. Somehow, the living portraits do look like talking oil paintings instead of just framed TV screens. Enter Dumbledore's office, and the headmaster (i.e. Michael Gambon) happily welcomes the first Muggles ever to set foot inside the school. And after arriving at the Defence Against the Dark Arts classroom, Harry, Hermione, and Ron (i.e. Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, and Rupert Grint) conspire to save everyone from one of Professor Binn's dull history lessons - and then Ron accidentally makes it snow.

OTHER STUFF:

The greenhouse doesn't feature any moving plants (a missed opportunity, we think), but clever touches abound at the park. Quills write on their own, a book of monsters snaps at bystanders, and a tape measure plays with the hem of Hermione's Yule Ball dress. Just try not to spill your pumpkin juice - nothing breaks the spell like a Muggle trying to hide a stain on his shirt.

HEAR THAT?

A four-person Hogwart's choir periodically gathers to sing songs like "Double Trouble" (from "Prisoner of Azkaban") and "Do The Hippogriff" (with bullfrog puppets). Also, you can hear Moaning Myrtle giggling at you while you're in the bathroom.

5. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Since quite a few of us seems to be going on Tuesday, does anyone know where we could maybe meet up?

6. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I dunno, but I'd love to do another amusement park with you, Johanna!

7. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Oh, yes, our Disneyland trip at CIV was one of the best experiences that I've had in an amusement park.

8. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Yes, we need to organise something and this time I'll drag myself along.

9. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    The things I think we need to decide is:

Where to meet up
    When to meet up

and if we are going to go to both parks, or think it's enough with just one of them. I would prefer two, but I don't really know how big they are.

Also please note that on their website they say that it's cheaper and easier if you buy your tickets in advance.

10. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    We're only going to Islands of Adventure, since it's cheaper to go to one park.

And Johanna, I think this time you should invest in a pre-paid phone so I don't have to keep forgetting where I put mine. [face_laugh]

11. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I'd love to coordinate with the group once people have settled on a time and meeting place.

Also, I think Islands of Adventure is probably enough for one day. If we try to rush to more than one park, it'll be harder to enjoy everything.

12. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Well this time I actually think my phone is going to work in the US as well!

13. DK_Force85

DK_Force85 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 13, 2006
    There is enough time in one day to do everything at both parks, if you stay from open to close (and there's no rain). But if you only do one park, Islands of Adventure is the right choice. Especially with Harry Potter world.

Hanging around City Walk can also be fun. Makes a good place to eat lunch (cheaper than in the actual parks).

14. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I only want to do Island of Adventure. But I'll do both if that's what everyone else wants to do. :)

Anytime is good. I'll already of been in Florida for 2 days by this point.

Why not meet at the park gates?

15. JediXtine

JediXtine Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 2, 2006
    Too bad there aren't any giant letters at the gate! Meet at the "L"....just kidding! Anyone familiar with the entry at Universal? I've never been there, only to Disney. If someone is familiar with IOA maybe they could come up with a good meeting place.

16. DK_Force85

Apr 13, 2006
    Actually, for Universal Studios in general, the best meeting place (in my opinion) is before the park its self. Parking and walking to and through City Walk to get to the parks is part of the Universal experience. And it's wonderful to do it with a group. That said, my suggested meeting place is the dome-like structure connected to the two parking garages. That way, no matter which garage anyone parks in, everyone ends up in the same place. And would get to experience the journey through all of City Walk's awesomeness, and the excitement and anticipation of approaching Islands of Adventure, together.

17. DK_Force85

Apr 13, 2006
    I just discovered that parts of Universal Studios are viewable in STREET VIEW. :eek: This is frikkin amazing!

18. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Discounts for CV goers

Be interesting to find out exactly what the discounts will entail for us. Because I was planning on buying some of my tickets in advanced but if there are deals better at the gate. That would be good to know.

19. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I had also planned to buy in advance, so that's definitely interesting.

20. EnviousSerious-Rue

EnviousSerious-Rue Jedi Master star 2

May 4, 2009
    I purchased my "2 day, both parks" back in March on-line. It appears cheaper doing it that way. I also checked with AAA Michigan and the on-line price was still cheaper. But be aware that there are different brokers in the Orlando area that sells tickets also. There may be a savings of $1.00 to $3.00 per ticket. Of course, go on-line and compare prices. At the time I bought mine, I went directly to the www.UniversalOrlando.com site.
    I hope this helps.

21. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    Since you know the area, can you tell us whether everyone would need to bring/rent cars? Or is there a bus that can get us there from the vicinity of the convention center?

22. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Don't you trust us to find some good public transportation?

23. DK_Force85

Apr 13, 2006
    Well both times I've been (2000 and 2009) it was my family going in a van, so I don't know anything from experience about taking a bus. Although I know they have a shuttle service since you can see busses dropping people off. I don't know what areas and hotels have the service available, but seeing as how the convention center isn't far from US, I'd imagine the busses do go there.

Also, the people being shuttled get dropped off in that parking lot between the garages and City Walk, and go up an escalator into the circular commons dome area thing (my term, I don't know what it's called). So everyone ends up in the that place before entering City Walk and the park(s), no matter which means of transportation they choose.

24. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    Too bad there's no actual Hogwart's Express that'll take you there.

;)

25. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    Of course I do.

[face_whistling]

:D

(I'm sorry, I've been living in NYC for too many years now... I'm terribly spoiled about mass transit!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.